Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptozoology Can Kiss Off

JohnnyRico

Who needs make-believe creatures like Bigfoot, Aliens and the Loch Ness Monster when you have real world creatures being discovered on almost a daily basis?

Take the story below about a new species of spider that makes dopple-gangers of itself in order to fool predators.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/12/spider-building-spider/

Just do a Google search for the top ten new species discovered in 2012 and you'll find some fascinating subjects that come without the baggage of blurred photographs, two second video clips, unidentified hair follicles and unsubstantiated witness testimonials.

And who could possibly forget the 1.5 million new species of aquatic lifeforms discovered by the Tara Expedition - trawling the world's oceans for three years?

The world is an awesome place. 'Nuff said.

• Like 4

Who needs make-believe creatures like Bigfoot, Aliens and the Loch Ness Monster when you have real world creatures being discovered on almost a daily basis?

Take the story below about a new species of spider that makes dopple-gangers of itself in order to fool predators.

http://www.wired.com...uilding-spider/

Just do a Google search for the top ten new species discovered in 2012 and you'll find some fascinating subjects that come without the baggage of blurred photographs, two second video clips, unidentified hair follicles and unsubstantiated witness testimonials.

And who could possibly forget the 1.5 million new species of aquatic lifeforms discovered by the Tara Expedition - trawling the world's oceans for three years?

I completely agree with this :tu: the world is an amazing and wondrous place, even without all those silly magical nonsensical cryptids people are so insistent on believing in. It's almost a shame they cant appreciate reality for what it really is.

Edited by evancj
  • Like 2

As far as aliens I think they have been here many times and will continue to come here. I think there is proof in ancient ruins that have carvings that look like aliens or space craft. How would the ancients come up with something like that never existed in their time. Bigfoot and the others, who knows, could just be tall tales and legends.

I completely agree with this :tu: the world is an amazing and wondrous place, even without all those silly magical nonsensical cryptids people are so instant on believing in. It's almost a shame they cant appreciate reality for what it really is.

That is so true but the myths and legends are fun.
  • Like 1

The most beatiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead:

- Albert Einstein

Edited by Jeff Albertson
  • Like 5

There are many creatures that are now common to use that at one point were unknown, even ones that people laughed at the idea of. I believe in the possibility of cryptids and of things of a supernatural nature, but that does not mean I do not appreciate the beauty of the creatures around us. I am amazed at some of the things we find, I am not one of those people who blindly follow someone or believe in something just because I want to, I put a lot of study in it and go beyond the witness accounts and legends. Don't even get me started on you claim that life on other planets is "fake". Many scientist even agree we are likely not alone out of the countless galaxies out there, there is not as large of a number who believe they have visited earth, but still to claim we are alone when there is nothing to back it and that is almost less of a chance we are the ONLY intelligent life in the galaxy and to make such a claim is ignorant. I see the point you were trying to make but you were making it sound as if those of us who are simply filled with wonder, a desire to discover more and see what is all out there can not appreciate what we have, which is very untrue.

• Like 4

What do you mean you don't need them? I don't need them now either. The people reporting them didn't say they needed them. A lot of the people who reported them got called things that put them down but they got attention?

I never knew or I forgot that 1.5 million new species of aquatic lifeforms were discovered by the Tara Expedition. If they found new things that would open the possibility that other land animals that are bigger then my hand can be discovered.

The World is nice.

Edited by kampz

The possibility of most cryptids existing is pretty poor, the likelyhood of a large hominid staying hidden in areas, or a lake monster in a lake that doesnt have enough food to support a breeding population. We will always find new species, but we have to be realistic. No one is finding some fantastical creature of legend, usually cool ocean things or insects. I would LOVE for bigfoot and such to be true, but logic tells me its just not feasible.

Same with aliens. You can believe they are coming here/have come here, but the actual evidence isn't there. All the 'ancient alien' stuff can be debunked and all of it proven that our ancestors did have the skills to build huge structures. Its about faith, though with cryptzoology its harder to believe when something just isnt ecologically feasible.

• Like 1

I think there is proof in ancient ruins that have carvings that look like aliens or space craft. How would the ancients come up with something like that never existed in their time.

Right, human kind never comes up with imaginary stuff. As a species, we are pretty bad at imagining stuff that doesn't exist.

Oh wait, that's incorrect. That's EXACTLY what we do all the time, and one thing that has helped us survive.

• Like 1

I don't know about all that. Once a critter decides to make a place a home, they find food. They adapt. Heck Bigfoots (bigfeet? Bfs?) might eat nothing but pine cones and leaves. Everything has the potential energy to yield nutrition. But with all the discoveries of new and exciting lifeforms that weren't known to science, it seems that a lot of cryptids are becoming common animals, wouldn't ya say?

Even though I don't believe in cryptids, it's still nice to have them around. They're interesting and cool and sometimes creepy.

I think they have entertainment value if nothing else. Though I suspect they also would add, even if accidentally, to science by just having observers in the Field.

I like the thought of mysterious beings/creatures lurking out in world. We are still discovering species and I'm positive there's more to find.