Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arm the Teachers?

Thanato

I was waiting for someone to suggest this. Welcome to the land of the Free. Where the only way to survive is to have a Gun with you at all times, just in case anyone you meet might be a psychopath.

Really, America, when are you going to realise that something's gone seriously wrong.

• Like 9

I have a better idea: arm the kids too!

When will some learn that civilization cannot perdure there where you are expecting to fight for your life every day? The gun may have conquered the West, but outlawing guns from town won it.

• Like 1

Question for you... If someone made a threat against you what would you do daily? Make sure your home is locked? But then at some point you would think... Locked doors keep honest people honest. Then what would you do? Get a gun for protection? Because you would think honestly that would be the only chance in hell you'd have to survive a threatening intruder with a weapon.... Or you could simply call 911 and wait for cops to arrive to handle it. But you take great risk in tragedy vs triumph and survival. Come on think about it. I went thru this scenario and came to the above conclusion. What other choice did I have!?

• Like 1

The way to protect schools is to have a trained armed guard. Duh people!

Question for you... If someone made a threat against you what would you do daily? Make sure your home is locked? But then at some point you would think... Locked doors keep honest people honest. Then what would you do? Get a gun for protection? Because you would think honestly that would be the only chance in hell you'd have to survive a threatening intruder with a weapon.... Or you could simply call 911 and wait for cops to arrive to handle it. But you take great risk in tragedy vs triumph and survival. Come on think about it. I went thru this scenario and came to the above conclusion. What other choice did I have!?

Sorry, what did you do, call the cops or get a gun?

Editing this, saw your second post!

"The way to protect schools is to have a trained armed guard. Duh people!"

but just want to clarify first....were you being sarcastic or did you really mean it?

Edited by freetoroam

Now let me answer that with another question: If calling 911 works in the rest of the world why does it not in the US? And the answer is: it works, it is just the obstination of a few who think they can stay civilized while taking justice into their own hand who deny that.

• Like 2

Now let me answer that with another question: If calling 911 works in the rest of the world why does it not in the US? And the answer is: it works, it is just the obstination of a few who think they can stay civilized while taking justice into their own hand who deny that.

As my dad said this morning 'when seconds matter, the cops will be there in minutes.'

• Like 5

Arming teachers is a very bad idea. The thought of some of the teachers I had being armed sends chills down my spine to be honest. I was a community college teacher at one time. You wouldn't have wanted me armed, nor would I want to have been either.

In fact, if you'd posed this question 2 weeks ago, you'd have found VERY few people who would agreed and most would have thought you were bat crap crazy for even asking the question. This question being posed today is reactionary at best.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 5

my old RE teacher would throw the chalk board at us (thats going back a bit), i would not even like to think what would have happened if he has a gun in his drawer!

• Like 1

Principles/Vice Principles and staff that may not be in the classrooms at any given time. We dont need teachers with guns on there hip teaching social science to 8 year olds.

if you call 911 by the time the police get there 99% of the time they're too late to do anything but take a report if they even show up. I called 911 about five years ago at 3 in the morning to report there were two men stealing a car from the parking lot across the street from my apartment. after hanging up I continued to watch as the men pushed the vintage 72 SS Camaro quietly out of the parking lot jump in and compression start it (this took about two minutes after I hung up) they then drove away. I never received a call back, the police didn't knock on my door to get a statement, and they never even showed up. I waited an hour and a half then went back to bed. So Mark, tell me your experience where you called 911 and they showed up and saved the day.

That anecdote being told I say arming teachers is not the answer. The answer is for physchologists and physicians to stop prescribing anti depressants and antii-psychotics to people under the age of 30.

There are how many guns in the USA right now? Suddenly making them harder to buy or even making them ilegal isn't going to have much effect for decades. It's a stupid idea and won't work.

If I had a gun the answer to guns are now ilegal would be the old tried and true "they'll get my gun when the pry it from my cold dead hand".

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

I was waiting for someone to suggest this. Welcome to the land of the Free. Where the only way to survive is to have a Gun with you at all times, just in case anyone you meet might be a psychopath.

Really, America, when are you going to realise that something's gone seriously wrong.

You're right about that 747--something has gone seriously wrong in this country.

But what's wrong is NOT precipitated by the Second Amendment.

Lotsa things are wrong, like the government being utterly controlled by special interests, and another is that youngsters are routinely prescribed very serious mind-altering drugs. Good intentions all the way, but poor policy based upon about 20 years of administering powerful mind-altering drugs to youngsters.

• Like 2

if you call 911 by the time the police get there 99% of the time they're too late to do anything but take a report if they even show up. I called 911 about five years ago at 3 in the morning to report there were two men stealing a car from the parking lot across the street from my apartment. after hanging up I continued to watch as the men pushed the vintage 72 SS Camaro quietly out of the parking lot jump in and compression start it (this took about two minutes after I hung up) they then drove away. I never received a call back, the police didn't knock on my door to get a statement, and they never even showed up. I waited an hour and a half then went back to bed. So Mark, tell me your experience where you called 911 and they showed up and saved the day.

isn't that, though, the same everywhere in the world? is the American police uniquely inefficient? Doesn't the fact that gun crime in the U.S. is stratospherically higher than anywhere else in the world suggest that taking the law into one's own hands doesn't acually work?

isn't that, though, the same everywhere in the world? is the American police uniquely inefficient? Doesn't the fact that gun crime in the U.S. is stratospherically higher than anywhere else in the world suggest that taking the law into one's own hands doesn't acually work?

Besides, the response time of the US police is generally faster than in Europe, especially in urban areas.

I seriously don't know the correct route.

I was brought up around guns, but always safety was emphasized first. I have no issue with law abiding citizen owning them. But something needs to be done. We can't just keep saying 'oh well' as innocent kids are brutally murdered.

I wish there was an obvious solution, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I'm looking to our elected leaders and think tanks across the nation to help out.

• Like 1

This is one of the stupidest suggestions I have ever read. But, not surprised, though. It's not the guns, it is the mentality that is the problem. But, let's look for the 'easiest' solution and bury our heads in the sand rather than admit to the real problem.

• Like 1

What happens when the first under-paid-over-stressed teacher snaps, spraying that kid who's been torturing him for the whole year with 9mm rounds? Then what? Kids going to school in Kevlar uniforms?

Jeez, the answer's obvious. Home school 'em . :-* Kids usually end up as retarded as their parents anyway... At least, I did :D

arm the teachers???? what the hell kind of solution is that?

Yep, thats what some people think is a solution?

can i suggest next time you go out and buy bread, put one of these on, you can never be too careful!:

Haven_TrooperMGS4.jpg

When I first heard about this I thought it was some kind of joke but now...

There is something deeply wrong with the US's gun culture and I honestly wonder what will it take for something to be actually done about it. The unfortunate thing is the people with guns seem to have some sort of pathological need to keep a hold of them, that giving them up is just not an option. Something really needs to be done about it and the gun people just have to stop and think about what's important.

• Like 1

A country that strives on the saying "to take law into your own hands". A culture that's probably just a step away from total anarchy.

• Like 4