Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Spiders ?

anonguy

You may be right. Goliath bird eaters are probably the biggest in terms of girth, but I think the huntsman slightly beats it in terms of leg span. A fossil thought to be the biggest spider ever discovered and called megarachne ended up being that of a sea scorpion.

A possible contender to the goliath bird eater is another South American tarantula called a chicken eating spider that was recently discovered. So far, no condor-eating spiders.

I havent seen a huntsman that big yet. I also ward about the Megarachne. First thing to come to mind when i saw this thread on big spiders was the "Walking with Monsters" episode showing an apparent species of Mesothelae. Purportedly the Megarachne which was revealed to be the sea scorpion after production on the series began. No such spider has been found to exist.

Interesting news on the new spider, I imagine a chicken eating spider these days would need to be a bit bigger.

Yep impossible.

Spiders dont have lungs and absorb all there oxygen through an area on there abdomen called a book lung. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_lung

Basically a spider that size wouldn't be able to get enough oxygen to internal tissue that far from its book lungs and it cells would become oxygen starved and die.

Thats pity. I would like that there are giant spiders.

Thats pity. I would like that there are giant spiders.

Impossible given the current anatomy of the currently discovered species. I've seen flying spiders in an Asian country first hand. There is so much out there we would never think possible which are.

This could be likened to the platypus. Professors and biologists thought it was a construct made of other animals stitched together. Turned out it was a legitimate species.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 1

WOW that bird eating spider is HUGE, If I ran into that I would just let it be

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

Could spiders like these still exist ? Do you think what they saw was actually a spider?

You are right. Insects and archnoinds could not support their exoskeletons in this time of our Earth.

If this had occurred in SA I might guess a sloth.

I'm wondering if there isn't a mammal in Africa that is similarly weird and low to the ground when moving and with long (although of course not 8) legs.

Who knows what something, that is odd anyway, looks like when it crosses in front of you and you are not familiar with it or see it from a distance.

Not to mention if you have a person shrieking and freaking out in the car! "What the heck is that!? It's a giant spider!"

Edited by QuiteContrary