Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kansas exhumes bodies of killers

Keel M.

LANSING, Kan. (AP) — The bodies of the two men executed for the 1959 murders of a Kansas family that became infamous in Truman Capote's true-crime book "In Cold Blood" were exhumed Tuesday in an effort to solve slayings of a Florida family killed weeks later.

Kyle Smith, deputy director of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, said bone fragments were collected from the skeletal remains of Richard Hickock and Perry Smith, who were hanged for the murders of Herb and Bonnie Clutter and their children in Holcomb, Kan., on Nov. 15, 1959.

The fragments were collected at the request of a Sarasota County Sheriff's detective, who has been trying to determine whether Hickock and Perry Smith were responsible for the deaths of Cliff and Christine Walker and their two young children on Dec. 19, 1959, in their home in Osprey, about four hours northwest of Miami near Sarasota. Smith and Hickock fled to Florida after the Clutter murders.

Full story

• Like 1

All they are is dust in the wind.

Thank you, good night! :st

How interesting.

Thanks for posting this story, Lady Kasey.

I've been reading about Walker case, and according to articles from the Herald-Tribune, the evidence seems to suggest that the killer(s) knew the family.

I don't know how reliable the info is, but apart from personal items (of no monetary value) missing from the home, it was reported that bloody clothing belonging to two of the victims were later found in a nearby shed, and in 1962, a "rusty and burned" .22 caliber rifle was found buried, although I don't know if the rifle was connected to this crime or not, but certainly, that's a very sinister circumstance!

There were lots of suspects, or POI's at the time...and a few have now been eliminated by the DNA, but it seems a few others haven't; a couple have died, and there's one whose whereabouts might still be unknown.

I can hardly wait for the DNA results, but since they said the testing wasn't priority, who knows when that might be?

I'll be watching...

http://www.heraldtribune.com/section/topic03801003

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...