Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IQ tests 'do not reflect intelligence'

Still Waters

They probably have mixed feelings about this L, as Mensa is the kindergarden of the genius world. I bet the Tesla999 club who exclude all but the top 99.9% from joining don't like it one bit.

Guessing that should be the top 0.1%. Excluding all but 99.9% of the population isn't too exclusive :P

Was Setton right? :lol:

I had a feeling it was flawed! i got 127 on my IQ test. Somehow i feel it should of been 90

i notice they don't mention 'emotional intelligence', 'musical intelligence', or 'artistic intelligence' in their criteria of what tests are required to gauge intelligence.

the idea that these things were to be taken into account when gauging intelligence was argued in another thread here a while back.

i never bought into it.

emotional maturity yes, musical talent, yes, artistic ability, yes.

none of which is a measure of intellect

Well emotional intelligence would be handy in management or in customer services so I agree with that part.

But IQ tests are fairly accurate and they would become more accurate if someone was subjected to four different tests and an average score taken. I've never met someone with a degree who had a low IQ level. They cant get their heads around whats being taught.

I think diet plays a large role in IQ level with those people who have poor nutrition levels and a lack of fatty acids being at a huge disadvantage. Thats why they give you a carton of whole milk at primary school everyday.

On the subject does anyone know where there is a PROPER free IQ test online?

I've came across loads but never sure on how legit they actually are.

I did one years ago for a company and I remember scoring above average but can't remember how much.

Being mensa myself I have always said it many times IQ test idea is ridiculous Cause I have seen many geniuses which IQ test had done them no justice.

I think historians believe that Einstein probably had a low IQ? (I know he was never tested as the tests are more recent)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

Well emotional intelligence would be handy in management or in customer services so I agree with that part.

But IQ tests are fairly accurate and they would become more accurate if someone was subjected to four different tests and an average score taken. I've never met someone with a degree who had a low IQ level. They cant get their heads around whats being taught.

I think diet plays a large role in IQ level with those people who have poor nutrition levels and a lack of fatty acids being at a huge disadvantage. Thats why they give you a carton of whole milk at primary school everyday.

you are calling this intelligence and it just isn't. emotions are not intellect. i would argue they are the opposite of intellect.

i do agree that proper diet is important to utilize intelligence but i don't think it hinges on it. i think you can be brilliant and underfed, but your performance would be hindered by the lack of fuel fed to the brain.

On the subject does anyone know where there is a PROPER free IQ test online?

I've came across loads but never sure on how legit they actually are.

I did one years ago for a company and I remember scoring above average but can't remember how much.

I think historians believe that Einstein probably had a low IQ? (I know he was never tested as the tests are more recent)

i thought einstein had an iq around 165.

i thought einstein had an iq around 165.

Sadly he was never actually tested. (or it wasn't made public)

So it's all hearsay.

Also back then IQ testing was very different. So you can't compare an IQ test from then with one from now. It's changed a lot over time.

http://www.einstein-...sthings.html#iq

People like Einstein, Tesla and Braun where not your typical intellectual. They where more thinkers. They thought outside the box. They where the type of people you would call crazy and laugh at in today's world.

They where the kind of people who wouldn't listen to mass media and ignore other peoples doubts. Now a days a lot of these people who are like them are often refereed to as nut cases. lol

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

I personally think there has been an effort by certain ideologies to get rid of the legitimacy of IQ tests because they were proving to give very low scores to people they would otherwise want to achieve high scores.

• Like 3

I personally think there has been an effort by certain ideologies to get rid of the legitimacy of IQ tests because they were proving to give very low scores to people they would otherwise want to achieve high scores.

this

Does anyone have a link to the test?

I know a guy that has an IQ of 136. Even though he can crunch those numbers he doesn't have the brains to do home maintenance on his house. It falling apart around him. He has a 50k job and single.

Like Math? Thank Your Motivation, Not IQ

Looks like Tiger Mom had it half-right: Motivation to work hard and good study techniques, not IQ, lead to better math skills, a new study shows.

But there's a catch: The findings, published this month in the journal Child Development, show that keeping children's heads in the math books by force probably won't help.

http://www.livescience.com/25854-motivation-fuels-math-ability.html

Sadly he was never actually tested. (or it wasn't made public)

So it's all hearsay.

Also back then IQ testing was very different. So you can't compare an IQ test from then with one from now. It's changed a lot over time.

http://www.einstein-...sthings.html#iq

People like Einstein, Tesla and Braun where not your typical intellectual. They where more thinkers. They thought outside the box. They where the type of people you would call crazy and laugh at in today's world.

They where the kind of people who wouldn't listen to mass media and ignore other peoples doubts. Now a days a lot of these people who are like them are often refereed to as nut cases. lol

i think we call people nutcases a lot of times because we dont understand them. so who has the problem lol

the thinking outside the box type of intelligence is what interests me more than strict academic knowledge. anyone can learn what's in a book. lots of so called intelligent people can conceptualize what is already laid out for them. a true genius doesn't need a starting point. yeah their ideas may come off as incredibly out there, but it isn't to say they are 'out there'

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

IQ tests aren't a test of intelligence, they've just been labelled as such. what an IQ test does, is help find how well your brain organises information. i'm very good at recognising patterns, whether they're numerical, geometrical, or grammatical (left-handed piscean), so score highly in IQ tests. my first one scored 136, 20yrs ago, and my last one, 2yrs ago, scored 160.

the way the scores are calculated, are correct answers over age, which means your IQ should decrease over time, but mine hasn't, because I do IQ puzzles in my spare time, and have trained my brain to recognise patterns, which proves that these tests are flawed as a specific measure of 'intelligence', which, to me, is something unquantifiable anyway, as there are too many different ways a person can be recognised as intelligent.

all an IQ test REALLY tests, is how good you are at doing IQ tests.....

The Telegraph's article is highly misleading. Scientists who use IQ tests never posited they served as a full test of all brain function, rather they asserted the test was a measure of g, or general intelligence, which is the "reasoning" category of the three types discussed in the article.

IQ tests themselves are still quite valid so long as they're interpreted correctly.

Edited by Everdred
  • Like 1

At the end of the day, no matter what a number on a piece of paper tells you, it means nothing if you don't apply it usefully.

So many people think a lot differently to each other. To deem the IQ test a legitimate measure of intelligence is a farce. For example, those people who compute numbers and patterns in their head in amazing times might do incredibly well. But completely fail when creativity or real world problem solving comes into play.

However some artists or musicians are incredibly talented and very intelligent but don't have that thought process deemed desirable for an IQ test rank lower than where they would normally be assumed. This is also interestingly tied with how in some situations these days, those who perform well in mathematics and sciences are deemed smarter than those who might excel in art or design. Why? It's a complete misconception and misinterpretation of true intelligence.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, no matter what a number on a piece of paper tells you, it means nothing if you don't apply it usefully.

So many people think a lot differently to each other. To deem the IQ test a legitimate measure of intelligence is a farce. For example, those people who compute numbers and patterns in their head in amazing times might do incredibly well. But completely fail when creativity or real world problem solving comes into play.

However some artists or musicians are incredibly talented and very intelligent but don't have that thought process deemed desirable for an IQ test rank lower than where they would normally be assumed. This is also interestingly tied with how in some situations these days, those who perform well in mathematics and sciences are deemed smarter than those who might excel in art or design. Why? It's a complete misconception and misinterpretation of true intelligence.

_

i'm left-handed, so my brain is geared towards the spatial, not the temporal. I draw, am a musician, like my brain is set up to be, but i'm also an engineer, which should be out of character for me, but I find it's the most natural thing in the world.

but my brain seems to be a little cross-wired. I write with my left hand, kick with my left foot, am left-handed at things like darts and pool, but for things like golf, baseball, tennis, archery, i'm right-handed. my right eye is also my dominant eye, so something must be wired wrong somewhere down the line.....

It is possible that even a hundred tests of mental acuity, agility, and accuracy would not yet so narrowly and correctly determine the level of a person's intelligence.

Just for the record, I.Q. Test's are now by the thousands yet the standard test is formatted in such a way that if you do well on the first you will be presented with a second then a third until ultimately you reach the forth, of which a score of 162 will max out the actual test rendering it mute!

First format test the memory, second the numerical, the third the analytical and the forth the philosophical.

The current algorithms enable a greater test-bed via the technology now being used yet the philosophical houses worldwide perfected the testing of your quota way back in the days before such technology was even inveted.

To put it into true perspective, pass the first test your in college, pass the first two your a candidate for uni, the next three could be an ivy leaguer, all four your on your own.

When you pass a test all you are doing is suggesting you are good at performing within that area, I.Q. is just about potential it is what you then do with it that sets you apart!

• 1 month later...

Learning Strategies Outperform IQ in Predicting Achievement

The most important learning strategies for predicting end-of-semester GPA were (1) seeking information, (2) reviewing the textbook, and (3) seeking assistance from peers during the midterm week. While the correlation between prior SAT scores and semester GPA was significant, once the most predictive learning strategies were considered, prior SAT scores didn’t explain any additional variation in end of semester GPA. Considering IQ scores (which are highly correlated with SAT scores) are known to be excellent predictors of academic achievement, this finding is actually quite striking! This suggests that one of the crucial reasons why those with higher general cognitive ability tend to do so well across so many learning situations is due, in large part, to their use of efficient learning strategies that maximize learning outcomes.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/2013/04/08/learning-strategies-outperform-iq-in-predicting-achievement/