Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU plans tougher tobacco health warnings

Still Waters

Cigarette packs sold in the EU will have to have bigger health warnings in text and pictures, under new proposals from the EU Commission.

The draft directive would require 75% of the packet to be covered - front and back - with the warnings. But company branding would not be banned.

It would also ban strong flavours such as menthol or vanilla, which can mask the bitter tobacco taste.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-20783263

So I'm going to be treated to more gruesome pictures of gangrene and open-heart surgery.

And now it looks like I have to strengthen my stomach with a triple dose.

A tobacconist will be now more like a clinic it wasn't for the fact that they don't leave the product on open display.

I'm not entirely thrilled by the prospect of R-rated graphics on my cigarette packet.

But I don't have to even look and instead think of happy thoughts while I smoke.

However anything to form a new generation of smoke-free people gets my vote.

Let's hope enough people take the hint and not go down the same road I did.

It's funny but when I started the packets where more consumer friendly.

Edited by Medium Brown

75 percent of the packet covered. sounds like overkill to me ffs.

Maybe we should stop trying to tell people how to live there life?

Bah, I keep getting the lung cancer ones. I'd prefer gum disease or something less severe like that, but I guess all the less severe ones are taken by the time I get there, so I'm left with the ones that give you lung cancer.

75 percent of the packet covered. sounds like overkill to me ffs.

Maybe we should stop trying to tell people how to live there life?

In some cases, you're correct. We shouldn't be told how to live our lives in many aspects.

However, smoking is something I think we as a species ought to do without. If people didn't live a disobedient lifestyle, you wouldn't even see warning labels on the side of cigarette cases. You wouldn't even see cigarette's, period.

Smoking is a lethal and addictive killer. In the end, It leaves the smoker as a dried-up husk, who is eventually likely to get Cancer and perish. In the process of his selfish punishment, he serves to further pollute the environment. Not a good situation for anybody.

Nothing positive comes from smoking. It should be outlawed in all countries, in my opinion. For the health of our species and our home, Earth.

Health warnings offer people nothing more than a choice - a choice to do something harmful to themselves, or not to.

As a former smoker, I can say that I didn't like people telling me what to put in my own body.

I, as an adult, made the choice to quit because I didn't like the effects on my health.

Other people will do the same - or they won't. That's the difference, and it's no one elses business.

But 75% of the packet sounds like overkill.

Health warnings offer people nothing more than a choice - a choice to do something harmful to themselves, or not to.

As a former smoker, I can say that I didn't like people telling me what to put in my own body.

I, as an adult, made the choice to quit because I didn't like the effects on my health.

Other people will do the same - or they won't. That's the difference, and it's no one elses business.

Is it no one else's bussiness?

Most smokers don't seem to realise they are not alone in the world and their smoking also has it's effect on others.

For example walking through town and a smoker walks in front of you and the non-smoker is trapped behind having to inhale the second-hand smoke.

Or ppl smoking in their car creating a mini gas chamber. Etc..

I mean, there are other ppl out there, that don't smoke and aren't pleased with having to inhale smoke from others who clearly aren't able to think about anybody else but themselves.

So who's more in the wrong here? The unhealthy smoker, or the person that tries to stay more healthy by not wanting to inhale smoke frequently? Who should have the law on their side more?

• Like 1

the biggest advert for the Tobacco companies is parents, extended family members and friends smoking - young children watch this, grow into adults and become tempted - i think a lot of people start smoking because its a case of monkey see monkey do.

• Like 2

In some cases, you're correct. We shouldn't be told how to live our lives in many aspects.

However, smoking is something I think we as a species ought to do without. If people didn't live a disobedient lifestyle, you wouldn't even see warning labels on the side of cigarette cases. You wouldn't even see cigarette's, period.

Smoking is a lethal and addictive killer. In the end, It leaves the smoker as a dried-up husk, who is eventually likely to get Cancer and perish. In the process of his selfish punishment, he serves to further pollute the environment. Not a good situation for anybody.

Nothing positive comes from smoking. It should be outlawed in all countries, in my opinion. For the health of our species and our home, Earth.

I can agree with most of what you posted... but I'm not certain what you meant by "disobedient lifestyle"... Perhaps you meant 'destructive lifestyle" which I agree with... but if you really meant 'disobedient'... whom shall we be obedient to? and to what degree?

As to the warning labels... People don't read or pay attention to them now.. they won't later either...

- i think a lot of people start smoking because its a case of monkey see monkey do.

I think that's the ONLY reason. Seeing there is no other benefit from inhaling smoke into your lungs on a frequent basis.

Otherwise we should all be firemen/women.

Although I enjoy smoking I wouldn't defend it in any way. 75% of the packaging for warnings sure,whatever. But if they plan to add some nice graphic pictures of rotten lungs on cigarette packs, how about some nice graphic pictures of rotten kidneys and livers on bottles of liquor.

• Like 2

I can agree with most of what you posted... but I'm not certain what you meant by "disobedient lifestyle"... Perhaps you meant 'destructive lifestyle" which I agree with... but if you really meant 'disobedient'... whom shall we be obedient to? and to what degree?

As to the warning labels... People don't read or pay attention to them now.. they won't later either...

I think I ment both 'disobedient lifestyle' and 'destructive lifestyle.'

To turn from ones parents, who love, care and want the best for you healthwise to take up smoking, would be disobedience towards them.

Take care

Edited by Insaniac

Pretty much the only advertisement tobacco gets nowadays is how unhealthy it is and how you'll get cancer by smoking it. How could tougher health warnings possibly hope to accomplish anything? It seems pointless.

I'm a non-smoker for the record.

Why can't the EU, to use a pun, just butt out?

We already have enough over-the-top warnings on fag packets already, with pictures of corpses and diseased lungs on them and the words "SMOKING KILLS" in big letters.

People know that smoking is bad for their health but if people want to smoke I don't see what the problem is. Even more over-the-top warnings on health packets is not going to stop loads of people smoking.

This is just another example of our leaders, especially in Europe, treating us all like children who think we never use any commonsense.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

Although I enjoy smoking I wouldn't defend it in any way. 75% of the packaging for warnings sure,whatever. But if they plan to add some nice graphic pictures of rotten lungs on cigarette packs, how about some nice graphic pictures of rotten kidneys and livers on bottles of liquor.

Amen to that brother!

We can also add some images of road traffic accidents to the bottles and cans.

It's not as if they are more disgusting than what they are here and alcoholics do need to take heed.

They have to face up to the consquences of their actions more than smokers.

And while we are there we might as well put on display some shots from casualty after a drunken squabble has got out of hand.

There needs to be a more hands-on approach to drinking alcohol and less mollycuddling.

They need more than tough love and wishy-washy advertisements.

It's hilarious how smokers get all the attention while the alcoholics get away scot-free.

Not that smoking is anything to carp about but it's preferable to getting blind drunk.

Edited by Medium Brown

Why can't the EU, to use a pun, just butt out?

We already have enough over-the-top warnings on fag packets already, with pictures of corpses and diseased lungs on them and the words "SMOKING KILLS" in big letters.

People know that smoking is bad for their health but if people want to smoke I don't see what the problem is. Even more over-the-top warnings on health packets is not going to stop loads of people smoking.

This is just another example of our leaders, especially in Europe, treating us all like children who think we never use any commonsense.

The problem is that it contributes massively to the number of ill and dying people in our hospital wards, putting a massive strain on the NHS. True, this could probably be combatted quite effectively by using the taxes, the incredibly high taxes, put on fags, for NHS funding, but our governments are too greedy to allow common sense come into the fold.

And why do the same old faces on here blame everything on the EU? My God, do people actually believe this country would be any better without the EU? We're ****ed with or without them, so stop blaming them for everything that goes wrong. The same goes for the whole idiotic left/right argument.