Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Video game violence

Render

Do video games contribute to violence?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do video games contribute to violence?

• Yes
    • No
    • They might influence to a certain degree, but you don't suddenly forget the difference between right and wrong

I was talking to my friend about this the other day while stomping turtles, gathering coins and bashing blocks with my head. He'd argue how games influence you and I'd argue over it. I told him that if I person is brain dead enough to let a game control his or her actions, they should have been locked up for being mentally unstable.

Honestly, sometimes I feel a bit out of control when I break into houses and smash the vases for rupees, but in the end, I know that it's my choice, not the game's.

• Like 2

Hehe, My dad usto hide the first gta away from me. But let me watch him play carmageddon?... always said you may go gulalii!. Gotta remember we are still animal's and some animal's arnt all that mentally stable.

Edited by Ronseal
  • Like 1

My kid played MW2 this morning first thing when he woke. He ate his breakfast and drank all his juice but Im not sure. Should I take him to a doctor and see if medication will help him wanting to play violent video games. Hes 10. Hes off at Grandmas right now so I feel I can post this safely.

• Like 1

My kid played MW2 this morning first thing when he woke. He ate his breakfast and drank all his juice but Im not sure. Should I take him to a doctor and see if medication will help him wanting to play violent video games. Hes 10. Hes off at Grandmas right now so I feel I can post this safely.

You mean you have actully let him out of you're sight? oh no he may come back armed.

Thats ok I left a can of tuna on the table and am headed out to the bar for the rest of the night. Ill wake him up again tomorrow and see what he does. Its always best to sneak up on those kids when there sleeping. They always wake up wanting a hug.

American Football is Violent?

Holy crap, have to seen videos of the AFL (Australia Football League)?

I never knew that any professional sports league legalized that kind of destructive assault.(sarcasm)

AFL is nothing compared to rugby haha. That's full on.

NRA shifting the blaim to protect idiots with guns that play video games lol what a joke. Lets not blaim the guns but a fantasy they claim makes people use the product to actually kill. The NRA is a retarded crap fest of liers that are of the same ilk as the WBBC type. The funny thing is that they don`t know it.

My first thought was to say that Yes, video game violence does contribute to actual violence. However, that is a rather simplistic way of looking at it. It absolves parents of any guilt since violent games have a rating system to hopefully ensure that children don't play them. If they are played by children, then it is the fault of the parent who allowed them to play it and be influenced at such a young age. I wouldn't allow a ten-year old kid, no matter how apparently mature, to play a game with an adult rating.

That's not to say that every kid who plays a violent computer game will end up committing violence, I'm just saying it's a parental duty to keep these things away from kids until they are old enough to know the difference. That would and should apply to anything though. When I was a kid, my parents sat down to watch Looney Tunes and made sure that when (for example) Wile E. Coyote falls off a cliff or Daffy Duck gets shot with a gun that this was a cartoon and didn't happen in real life, and in fact that falling from heights or getting shot with a gun can actually be dangerous.

My kids playing MW2 right now, What do I do he took my phone to call grandma and now says he cant find it. He wont put his PJ's on and thinks the end of the world is gonna is gonna happen and is afraid of school bullies. Do I need to put him on medication ?

My first thought was to say that Yes, video game violence does contribute to actual violence. However, that is a rather simplistic way of looking at it. It absolves parents of any guilt since violent games have a rating system to hopefully ensure that children don't play them. If they are played by children, then it is the fault of the parent who allowed them to play it and be influenced at such a young age. I wouldn't allow a ten-year old kid, no matter how apparently mature, to play a game with an adult rating.

That's not to say that every kid who plays a violent computer game will end up committing violence, I'm just saying it's a parental duty to keep these things away from kids until they are old enough to know the difference. That would and should apply to anything though. When I was a kid, my parents sat down to watch Looney Tunes and made sure that when (for example) Wile E. Coyote falls off a cliff or Daffy Duck gets shot with a gun that this was a cartoon and didn't happen in real life, and in fact that falling from heights or getting shot with a gun can actually be dangerous.

I agree that parents need to make sure the younger kids know what are real world consequences. But I think we tend to treat younger kids as not as mature as they actually are. I feel sorry for any kid around 10yrs old because if we went strickly by the rating system, they would have almost nothing to play especially if the parents are not going to be with them while they play.

Some kids my sons age(so my son tells me)are not allowed to play anything that is above PG. I had a quick look at our ps3 game collection and the only PG/G games we have is Ratchet and Clank and Guitar Hero. Sure there are others out there but they must suck otherwise we'd own them lol. Meanwhile games like Spiderman,Star Wars,Iron Man,Mirrors Edge,Oblivion,Skyrim and even Skate 3 are all M rated. So some parents dont allow their kids to play these games simply because of the M rating, which I think isnt really using common sense and is basically treating the 10yr as more immature than they actually are. I feel sorry for kids in that position. The kid is allowed to buy these games legally and the parents seem to think they are bad and dont allow them to play.

And with MA15+ I think its just helpful if the parents are involved with their child as they play. MA15+ might have slightly more gore but in the end its generally the same game play.

Anyway here is a link which some might find interesting. http://www.kotaku.co...ffect-children/

- there is no conclusive evidence that violent computer games have a greater impact on players than other violent media, such as movies or music videos

- there is stronger evidence of short-term effects from violent computer games, than long-term effects

- some research finds that violent computer games are a small risk factor in aggressive behaviour over the short term, but these studies do not thoroughly explore other factors such as aggressive personality, family and peer influence and socio-economic status.

I only found this because they mention it in the latest Gameinformer on pg 37. I found it yesterday. Apparently its from 2010, '"the Attorney General's Department released a literature review of all the relevant scientific research on the subject".

Edited by Kazahel

Ever heard of a patsy scheme. anyways the video game he showed was offensive. The ones he mentioned. meh.a

I agree that parents need to make sure the younger kids know what are real world consequences. But I think we tend to treat younger kids as not as mature as they actually are. I feel sorry for any kid around 10yrs old because if we went strickly by the rating system, they would have almost nothing to play especially if the parents are not going to be with them while they play.

Some kids my sons age(so my son tells me)are not allowed to play anything that is above PG. I had a quick look at our ps3 game collection and the only PG/G games we have is Ratchet and Clank and Guitar Hero. Sure there are others out there but they must suck otherwise we'd own them lol. Meanwhile games like Spiderman,Star Wars,Iron Man,Mirrors Edge,Oblivion,Skyrim and even Skate 3 are all M rated. So some parents dont allow their kids to play these games simply because of the M rating, which I think isnt really using common sense and is basically treating the 10yr as more immature than they actually are. I feel sorry for kids in that position. The kid is allowed to buy these games legally and the parents seem to think they are bad and dont allow them to play.

Which is why I suggest, and with my tongue firmly in my cheek, that kids get acquainted with the games I was exposed to as a teenager - mid-90's Amiga/C64 games. They were awesome and I loved them. Games don't stop being awesome just because the graphics are out of date :ph34r:

Ok, that's a little extreme (though I do love the games I played growing up) but on a serious note I would add that M-rated games only require that parents be vigilant and willing to talk it through with their children. That differs slightly to:

And with MA15+ I think its just helpful if the parents are involved with their child as they play. MA15+ might have slightly more gore but in the end its generally the same game play.

Saying a game has "slightly more gore" than another game is about the same as saying a Zombie movie has only "slightly more gore" than a family-friendly classic (minus a possible dance number, perhaps - though I reckon a Zombie-Apocalypse-musical is just what the movie industry needs right now). It's the gore that makes the difference for kids, and with respect to any parent that allows their young kids to play MA15+ games, I think it is an important difference. But I do agree with the general principle that parents need to be involved with parenting, instead of using computer games as lazy baby-sitters.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

Edited by Paranoid Android

My kids sleeping its a couple days from xmas. Should I throw away all his video games ? He looks at me funny sometimes and smiles. This weird smile.

• Like 1

Does anyone ever say, "are violent movies dangerous?" I always hear violent video games, and they say it like violence is a genre of game. Most people don't choose to buy the game because it's a 'Violent Game', it's just a game that happens to have some violence in it.

• Like 1

My kids sleeping its a couple days from xmas. Should I throw away all his video games ? He looks at me funny sometimes and smiles. This weird smile.

Hey, it's your kid - you get to choose. If it were my 10-year old he/she would never have had those MA15+ games to begin with, so if it was my child I would get rid of them at least until he/she is older. But it's not my kid, it's up to you what you do. Asking advice on something like this (sarcastic though you may be) is not something we can answer for you. Sarcasm aside, if you're truly afraid your child is giving you "weird smiles" and looking at you funny, taking him/her to a psychologist would be far more helpful than posting your fears on an internet forum :yes:

Here's a great example:

http://www.washingto...n-every-school/

The NRA think the solution is more guns. Armed guards in schools. Seriously? Do Americans want that? And why stop at schools? Clearly, using the same logic, you need armed guards in cinemas and shopping malls. And, would you still call this freedom?

Yes I would.

I agree with you on a lot. There is something happening here. Read through the thread, "how do we stop it " I bring these issues up. Even conceed a few, but let's be realistic shall we.

There are a massive amount of guns in this country it's part of the culture. It's not going anywhere. It will continue to happen whatever the cause. Some nut job WILL shoot up a school again in the next few years or sooner. No amount of control, lobbying, or even executive orders are going to stop it.

We have a choice. Arm the people that are supposed to protect our most precious treasure or leave them as sitting ducks still. I am not willing to loose a single child more than we have to over slippery slope arguments and leftist sentiments. There is a cold hard reality at play... A gun man WILL walk into a school agan and WILL start murdering teachers and kids again. It WILL happen. I'm not willing to let those extra kids die because of squimishness about arming key staff members. I can tell you right now any parent of a surviving child because Somone was actually capable of protecting them will be a happy camper, and any family member of a dead child wishes to god that their principal or any adults that engaged the gunman where armed and tactically trained.

It does not take away freedom ensuring safety from guns with guns. Id rather be in a Mexican stand off, than the one without the weapon. It is what it is. It's not pretty, but until we actually do remove weapons from our society ( which will never happen), I want my kids to have at least some of the protection our politicians have.

I find it ironic and disturbing when a politician lobby's against my family's ability to protect itself while being protected by armed guards that i pay for. Let's see the gun control advocates fire their body guards.... Yea... Not going to happen.

Edited by Seeker79

• 3 weeks later...

State removes violent games from rest stops

Something didn’t feel right to ­Andrew and Tracey Hyams when they entered the rest stop in Charlton on the ­Massachusetts Turnpike on Christmas Eve with their 12-year-old son and saw another boy absorbed in an arcade game.

The youth was firing a machine gun replica at the screen, licking off simulated rounds with a rapid-fire rat-tat-tat that reverberated off the walls. “You could even hear it in the bathroom,” Andrew Hyams, 58, of Newton, said in a telephone interview Thursday.

Because the plaza is close to Newtown, Conn., Hyams said, a relative of one of the school shooting victims could have walked in and seen a player firing away, 10 days after the massacre that took the lives of 20 first-graders and six adults.

“People have the freedom to have whatever video games in their own homes that they want,” Hyams said. “We were struck by walking into a [state-owned] rest stop within an hour’s drive of Newtown and seeing and hearing a life-sized, mounted machine gun on a video game.”

The couple felt that such games had no place in public rest stops, and the state Depart­ment of Transportation agreed. After receiving an ­e-mail from the Hyams, the Massachusetts agency removed nine violent games from service plazas in Charlton, Ludlow, Lee, and Beverly.

The state removed violent games from Beverly and other rest stops, leaving games intended to challenge driving skills.

Transportation Secretary Richard Davey said removing the games made sense in light of the Newtown tragedy.

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/01/11/state-melrose-mayor-target-violent-video-games/rJDPeKQTBfKYIt92Gic24L/story.html

I agree with the idea that violent video games don't transform good kids into bad kids. The violent ones probably already have that tendency for various other reasons. However, I do think that games (and movies and tv) can desensitize one toward violence. For example, look how far shows like CSI have 'pushed the envelope' in showing the aftereffects of violent death.

Yes I would.

I agree with you on a lot. There is something happening here. Read through the thread, "how do we stop it " I bring these issues up. Even conceed a few, but let's be realistic shall we.

There are a massive amount of guns in this country it's part of the culture. It's not going anywhere. It will continue to happen whatever the cause. Some nut job WILL shoot up a school again in the next few years or sooner. No amount of control, lobbying, or even executive orders are going to stop it.

We have a choice. Arm the people that are supposed to protect our most precious treasure or leave them as sitting ducks still. I am not willing to loose a single child more than we have to over slippery slope arguments and leftist sentiments. There is a cold hard reality at play... A gun man WILL walk into a school agan and WILL start murdering teachers and kids again. It WILL happen. I'm not willing to let those extra kids die because of squimishness about arming key staff members. I can tell you right now any parent of a surviving child because Somone was actually capable of protecting them will be a happy camper, and any family member of a dead child wishes to god that their principal or any adults that engaged the gunman where armed and tactically trained.

It does not take away freedom ensuring safety from guns with guns. Id rather be in a Mexican stand off, than the one without the weapon. It is what it is. It's not pretty, but until we actually do remove weapons from our society ( which will never happen), I want my kids to have at least some of the protection our politicians have.

I find it ironic and disturbing when a politician lobby's against my family's ability to protect itself while being protected by armed guards that i pay for. Let's see the gun control advocates fire their body guards.... Yea... Not going to happen.

I agree Seeker, it WILL happen again but fighting Guns with Guns is not the Answer (IMHO) - You are only putting a bandaid on a open deep cut. The problem lies in the generations, upon generations Guns, "every man has the right to bare arms" all that stuff. In the short term, I would sugguest more Guns, but something ALSO needs to be done in the background... Or else you are going to have band aid after band aid untill they all lose there stick.

Kind Regards,

Here's something hilarious:

The NRA which is blaming violent games for this is now pusblishing a shooting game for children starting at the age of 4.

The NRA launches a target-practice shooting app on iOS…for ages 4+

The National Rifle Association (NRA), an organization that promotes firearm ownership, safety and self-defense in the United States, has launched an app for iOS devices that allows users to reenact practicing in a shooting range.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/01/14/the-nra-launches-a-target-practice-shooting-app-for-ios-for-ages-4/

Obama calls for research into link between video games, 'media images' and violence

President Barack Obama today called for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conduct further research into the relationship between video games, media images and violence.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/16/3882728/obama-calls-for-research-into-link-between-video-games-and-violence

grew up on video games, still play them. Yes some are super violent, but I'm fine. They are just a visual story playing out. Not being a troll or anything but the "good book" is also incredibly violent but people swear on it at court, and go to church every sunday....just saying

• Like 2

this is a dumb debate i hate politicans. No games dont cause violence if you dont belive me then go play one lol

• Like 1