Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Video game violence

Render

Do video games contribute to violence?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do video games contribute to violence?

• Yes
    • No
    • They might influence to a certain degree, but you don't suddenly forget the difference between right and wrong

No games dont cause violence if you dont belive me then go play one lol

The thing is you can't speak for everyone, only for yourself. I feel that every time you symbolically kill something on a videogame, some of the same things happen to you inside as if you had actually killed something. You are changed in minute unnoticeable ways. These are no doubt so small that except for a small number they will never have noticeable effect on behavior, but they still do happen.

Does that mean that violence in video games should be prohibited? Absolutely not. In some cases the changes may actually be an improvement (although mostly I suspect not). More important, each person must live their own life and make their own decisions in these things. All others can do is try to point out consequences.

• Like 1

The miss diagnosis and over prescribing of medication to our youths is the other part of this problem. It is not the drugs alone; it is not the violence alone. It is the combination of these to factors together that create the havoc you are seeing today. These anit-pysichotics / antidepresents/ mood stabilizers are very powerful drugs, and combined with a violent sociological environement are what is producing these monsters today. Also, most of these video games are now hooked up to the internet possibly making individuals vulnerable to big brother. How easy it would be to pick on anti social, medicated young males by sending certain subliminal messages through their video games? It is no secret the government has experimented with mind control before, maybe this is what we are seeing today. What's the end game, the real agenda? These are the questions I want answers to.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a US Senator just said games are a bigger problem than guns

Since the Sandy Hook shooting last month and the national gun control debate it has reignited, there has been plenty of controversy over whether video games and violent media in general are a convenient distraction for the gun lobby or an area worthy of more study. But of all the thousands of words expended on the topic, the ones uttered by US Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) take the video game blame game to a whole new level.

, Alexander responded to a question about universal background checks with this amazing non-sequitur:

I think video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people. But the First Amendment limits what we can do about video games and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/yes-a-us-senator-just-said-games-are-a-bigger-problem-than-guns/

EA boss denies video games encourage violent attacks

The boss of Electronic Arts (EA) has denied there is any link between video game content and "actual violence".

John Riccitiello spoke out on the subject during a conference call with bank analysts following his firm's latest earnings forecast.

But he acknowledged that his industry did face a "perception issue".

The topic has become the focus of political debate in the US following shootings in a Connecticut school and a Colorado cinema.

After the incidents, the National Rifle Association (NRA) - which itself had been accused of culpability - said the video game industry sowed "violence against its own people".

Republican congresswoman Diane Franklin subsequently proposed a sales tax on violent titles, saying the money should be used to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings".

Former Green Party presidential candidate Ralph Nader went further, accusing games publishers of being "electronic child molesters" and demanded regulation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21274482

Ive been hearing a lot more about videogames and violence in the media lately.

Im not getting there point. Adults can play what they want and parents are responsible for what there kids play. If I let my kid play NCAA football (because now NCAA football is too violent according to the KIng) thats my business. Why would media be attacking another form of media ? Are video games hurting there ratings as people tune out for better experiences ?

Ive been hearing a lot more about videogames and violence in the media lately.

Im not getting there point. Adults can play what they want and parents are responsible for what there kids play. If I let my kid play NCAA football (because now NCAA football is too violent according to the KIng) thats my business. Why would media be attacking another form of media ? Are video games hurting there ratings as people tune out for better experiences ?

Because certain americans would look for any excuse not to have stricter gun control?

Edited by Render
  • Like 1

Im not good with the whole 1+1=3 thing. In fact it makes me angry when people try that trick on me. But damn they must be smoking some good stuff in Washington to come out with this garbage. I say we drug test the lot of em. Suprise style and see what drops out of the apple tree.

Im not good with the whole 1+1=3 thing. In fact it makes me angry when people try that trick on me. But damn they must be smoking some good stuff in Washington to come out with this garbage. I say we drug test the lot of em. Suprise style and see what drops out of the apple tree.

if we drug tested them all i feel like we wouldent really have any politicans left lol

• 2 weeks later...

Whether or not violent video games (or movies, TV shows, music, art, books, etc) contribute to real-world violence is entirely dependent on the person playing the game. Look into the background and history of anyone who has ever, say, gone on a shooting rampage. Mental instability is hugely prominent. If someone who is already mentally unstable, sure, violent video games could contribute to some of their real-world behavior. Whether or not a person is mentally stable or unstable depends on two things: the kind of environments/people they were surrounded by growing up, and how they just naturally are, how they were born. If a person who is mentally healthy plays Call of Duty 24/7, I'd say they need to get out more, but I wouldn't be worried about what they're getting out of so much gameplay. In actuality, violent games have been found to be theraputic for some people - they are able to vent about bullies, overbearing parents/bosses, etc, by blowing the **** out of the virtual enemy without actually hurting any realy people. By the time they put the controller down, they feel better about their situations.

Gun control laws are also relevant here, but that's another story entirely...

TL;DR: Violent media (as well as gun control laws) is not the issue. The issue is mental health. People need to stop pointing the finger at random **** and start helping the people who need it before they do decide to do something dangerous to themselves or others.

I feel that it depends on a few factors; the environment in which the individual is raised, the psychological health of the individual in question (does he have any preexisting psychological conditions), etc.

Edited by Religulous

It's simple. Terrible parenting and a society that does not want to accept personal responsibility. There will always be violence but the problem lies on the perpetrators and their upbringing (with exception for mental illness). I grew up watching cartoon characters shooting each other, shooting rifles and making homemade explosives. It never occurred to me to use them to destroy or harm anyone. I remember being revolted by the idea of using fire crackers to blow up frogs or BB guns to shoot birds. If I did any of those things now I would likely spend a great deal of time in jail because of others inability to be responsible.

In the end it just seems that people do not want to be held accountable for their own actions and unfortunately it looks like it isn't going to get better soon. JMO.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

58 percent of adults believe in a correlation between video games and violence

The United States has a violent-crime problem, but many adults also believe the country has a violent video game problem.

Nearly three in five adult Americans (58 percent) believe that video games contribute to violent behaviors in teenagers, according to a Harris Poll survey that interviewed 2,278 U.S. adults. Additionally, 38 percent said that they know nothing about the Electronic Software Rating Board’s (ESRB) system for labeling the maturity level of games. Yet 33 percent of the adults surveyed let their children play whatever they want.

http://venturebeat.c...s-and-violence/

Seems like the all these fearmongering news reports paid off.

Edited by Render

I don't think they do to be frank. But if someone is sick or insane then there's nothing much we can do if they copy something

We Know Nothing About The Correlation Between Videogames And Violence

Why are we still debating this? Shouldn't it have been settled long ago? The American Psychological Association explains why the debate is so difficult--and whose fault that is.

When the Supreme Court struck down a California law regulating the sale of "violent" videogames to minors, they said the scientific evidence damning such games was, at best, "unpersuasive." And they're probably right: if a link between violent games and aggression does exist, it's still debatable how strongly they correlate. Even talking to scientists who have studied this doesn't clear up what's actually going on here, and that's largely due to external pressures. The media is ready to latch on to any study that indicates a conclusion, and media attention can often turn into grant money for research--and if there's anything we don't want mixing, it's science with media and money.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/report-slams-politicized-junk-science-done-violent-videogames

• 1 month later...

And it still goes on:

Violent video games are a risk factor for criminal behavior and aggression

Iowa State researchers say there is a strong connection between violent video games and youth violence and delinquency. Photo by Bob Elbert

AMES, Iowa – People are quick to point the finger or dismiss the effect of violent video games as a factor in criminal behavior. New evidence from Iowa State researchers demonstrates a link between video games and youth violence and delinquency.

Matt DeLisi, a professor of sociology, said the research shows a strong connection even when controlling for a history of violence and psychopathic traits among juvenile offenders.

http://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2013/03/26/violentvideogames

Does anyone ever say, "are violent movies dangerous?" I always hear violent video games, and they say it like violence is a genre of game. Most people don't choose to buy the game because it's a 'Violent Game', it's just a game that happens to have some violence in it.

Thank you for saying this, and then you get the argument that movies you dont play an active role in and arent in control of what is portrayed on the screen. I think that parents should pay more attention to there kids and what there kids are doing. If they cant do that they shouldnt have any. JMO

Whenever there is a shooting like this in America, media is offered up as an immediate scapegoat so the sacred cows (family and guns) do not get touched. After Columbine media in the form of music was blamed, especially Marilyn Manson for causing their break, to be followed with the incorrect story that they were bullied, it wasn't even partially sorted until 2004 when the reality was that Eric Klebold was a narcissistic psychopath and Dylan Harris was a self-destructive submissive which still only partly explains the events on that day. Just like the final facts of who and what Adam Lanza was won't be sorted out for months, if not years down the road. Does this say something about the fact he had Aspeberger's Syndrome? Or was it that was a combination of Aspeberger's and the onset of a schizoid disorder (which normally sets in during the late teens to early 20s).

So the question changes to what should we do? The first thing that we should do is remove the stigma associated with psychological disorders that still exists in today's society. After that it's open for debate, but until the stigma is removed family members and the affected individuals are going to be less likely to seek help no matter how cdire the situation.

The level of violence in video games typifies the function of the human condition to simulate violence now that directly experiencing it has lessened in our society . If human society wants to progress to a more enlightened state than violence most be curtailed at every level from video games to overly competitive sports. If we lived in genuinely socially responsible societies then the amount of violence in video games and movies etc. would be closely monitored and limited so as to ensure it does not exceed a certain level. As it is the free market consumer violence which has become a staple of popular culture is indicative of the decadence of the prevailing trends of our 21st century culture.

Edited by stillvoice

• 2 weeks later...

i wuld say that it depends from a person if a person is weak minded i think that person culd become more agressive if howewer person has a strong mind and spirit video games shuld not make them more agressive.

And i am a gamer myself and i notised that i am less agressive thain when i wasnt much into video games

I played Golden eye, Killer instinct gold and Mortal Kombat when I was 7 years old, watched predator and the alien movies to. I've played violent game's all my life, I'm not some crazy sociopath. It depends on the person, people blame video games where Movies and Books are much more graphic. Every person has the ability to do harm, it's not just video game's that will make them. It's also proven that video games reduce violence in children, stimulate their motor skills and problem thinking.

In saying that, I don't let my 9 year old nephew who I raise, play black ops and battlefield like his friends all do at school. He may watch me every now and then, and he knows what it is but he's still a little young to play in my opinion and he understands that.

It's the same with cartoon's back in the day, they don't show stuff like Naruto or DBZ on cartoon network any more because it's to violence.

I grew up watching DBZ, Street sharks, ninja turtles, power rangers, defenders of the universe, biker mice from mars, beetleborgs. All of which possesses stylised violence. Now however kid's watch things like the Regular Show, adventure time, chowder. I would much rather let my kids watch something that uses stylised violence than what's on tv now. All the cartoon's are filled with joke's which kids don't get, I sit there and think how on earth is this in a children's channel. It's full of vulgar and crude jokes.

It's a choice that come's down to the parent, as someone who wasn't exposed to it all at a young age (not by my parents) and someone who monitors what his kids watch, it's not as cut and dry as everyone think's it is.

I know I know, my post isn't all about video games. But it's all tied together, modern media is silly. All the songs on the radio's are about sex, all the kid's show's are crude and all people seem to care about is video game's make people violence.

It's a fallacy, if someone has a penchant for violence, video game or no video game he's going to be violent. I personal find video games a good way to VENT my anger.

• Like 1

Yall got to ask yourself, who make's violent media.

We do, violence and battle is a part of the human condition. We all have that feeling, and it make's good story telling.

Hell sports for example. It is essentially two groups of men or women, doing battle and trying to defeat their opponent. A lot of boxers and MMA fighters have come out and openly said they have violent streaks or like hurting people and that the sport has given them a way to channel that into something positive. Something that can relieve that anger in a safe environment and they can be a better person for it. Provide for their family and everything.

Our society is far less violent that what it used to be. People say we are violent obviously have no clue about our history, and the violence we have committed in the past.

Saying modern media violence is making us violence is simply an excuse for people who are against video game's and what not.

That's the way I see it. There was far more violence 100 years ago then there was today.

But until we can literally control our emotions like Vulcans, anger and violence is a part of us. And blaming something that has only been around for a decade or less is absolutely absurd.

Edited by krypter3

• 4 months later...

Video games do not make vulnerable teens more violent, study says

Do violent video games such as 'Mortal Kombat,' 'Halo' and 'Grand Theft Auto' trigger teenagers with symptoms of depression or attention deficit disorder to become aggressive bullies or delinquents? No, according to Christopher Ferguson of Stetson University and independent researcher Cheryl Olson from the US in a study published in Springer's Journal of Youth and Adolescence. On the contrary, the researchers found that the playing of such games actually had a very slight calming effect on youths with attention deficit symptoms and helped to reduce their aggressive and bullying behavior.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-08-video-games-vulnerable-teens-violent.html

• Like 1

I guess sitting around pretending to be a guy that runs over people, beats up women, and shoots at cops is a great way for children to spend their time.

My real problem with games is that children have a wonderful ability to master things. The wonderful skill and focus they can have is utterly wasted on being focused on games. Time and time again I see very talented young people presuing useless endeavors in gaming. I'm not against a little fun on the weekends or something, but for many it really becomes an obsession. Why not spend that precious and powerful learning abilities on something that will actually benefit their lives.

I have worked with literally thousands of children over the years. The ones that do not or are not allowed to make gaming a huge part of their lives are always more active in other beneficial activities. They seem more likely to go to good schools, be athletes, and are more emotionally and socially healthy. These are just my unscientific observations though.

Edited by White Crane Feather

I guess sitting around pretending to be a guy that runs over people, beats up women, and shoots at cops is a great way for children to spend their time.

My real problem with games is that children have a wonderful ability to master things. The wonderful skill and focus they can have is utterly wasted on being focused on games. Time and time again I see very talented young people presuing useless endeavors in gaming. I'm not against a little fun on the weekends or something, but for many it really becomes an obsession. Why not spend that precious and powerful learning abilities on something that will actually benefit their lives.

I have worked with literally thousands of children over the years. The ones that do not or are not allowed to make gaming a huge part of their lives are always more active in other beneficial activities. They seem more likely to go to good schools, be athletes, and are more emotionally and socially healthy. These are just my unscientific observations though.

The bold faced part I can defiantly agree with. Games are addictive. I remember when Pokémon came out lol

The whole violence thing is stupid in my eyes.

Im 19 me and all my peers grew up with games and as far as I know none of us want to go shoot or run people over. Sure people joke about it sometimes but that is what we do.

My stance has always been this:

Take a step back and look at video games objectively. The market is in the billions of dollars which means what? That they sell a LOT of video games. Ok, great. So now we try and make a correlation between violence and video games. Let's look at the number of school shootings over the past 10 -15 years and make an argument.

Oh right, we can't. Because millions of children have been playing these games for years, but there have only been a handful of shootings. What can we derive from this logic?

Violent video games are not causing children to be more or less violent.

My stance has always been this:

Take a step back and look at video games objectively. The market is in the billions of dollars which means what? That they sell a LOT of video games. Ok, great. So now we try and make a correlation between violence and video games. Let's look at the number of school shootings over the past 10 -15 years and make an argument.

Oh right, we can't. Because millions of children have been playing these games for years, but there have only been a handful of shootings. What can we derive from this logic?

Violent video games are not causing children to be more or less violent.

Plus the number of school shootings have been going down in the past decades and violent crimes in general have dropped drastically ;). Could video games stop violence lol?

Edited by spartan max2