Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Preventing Inherited Disorders in Humans

Render

Would you do it?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prevent inheritable disorders?

• Yes
    • No

Hmmmm, are ppl afraid to discuss this or something ?

It's gonna happen ... it's the inevitable future, soon to be present...

Guess so, didn't realise it was still such a taboo this day and age when prevention is already widely practiced in serveral ways.

For me, it would be a toss-up. I would give almost anything to have a healthy child, especially one that didn't have the inherited pain-related issues that I have, but the idea that they are using stuff from a donor throws me.. What are the chances that there could be a rejection, or worse, an even worse disease stemming from the transfer. I realize that the article tells of no adverse affects, but how extensively has this been studied? I would love it if my child hadn't inherited my severe ADHD, but maybe she will someday channel that into genius qualities. I would love if my daughter hadn't inherited my musculoskeletal disorder, but maybe someday she will lead to a cure. What if they hadn't inherited my familial trait of the beautiful eyes, etc... Does this change only the bad stuff, or could it change their endearing, empowering qualities as well?? If it were ONLY the "impurities" that the transfer takes away, I would be all for it... But if it changed the AMAZING underlying qualities that my slightly "imperfect" children possess, my answer would have to be a resounding "NO!"

If it were ONLY the "impurities" that the transfer takes away, I would be all for it...

Well that would be the idea.

But if it changed the AMAZING underlying qualities that my slightly "imperfect" children possess, my answer would have to be a resounding "NO!"

If you prevent certain aspects and the child is born you'll never know how different that child would've been with all the "faults". So it's just about making a choice i guess.

I just don't like the idea that if you go through certain physical and/or mental obstacles this automatically makes you a better person. Like going through an illness and having to take medicine your entire life or whatever is better than just preventing these unfortunate things.

• 2 weeks later...

Study Points to a Safer, Better Test for Chromosomal Defects in the Fetus

Jan. 10, 2013 — A noninvasive, sequencing-based approach for detecting chromosomal abnormalities in the developing fetus is safer and more informative in some cases than traditional methods, according to a study published Jan. 10 by Cell Press in The American Journal of Human Genetics. This method, which analyzes fetal DNA in the mother's blood, could provide women with a cost-effective way to find out whether their unborn baby will have major developmental problems without risking a miscarriage.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130110121018.htm