Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Canine Suicide Spot

seeder

Imagine a lovers leap spot... but for dogs! Yep, dogs jumping off a high bridge for no apparent reason!!

Suicide jumps?

"in the past 50 years, about 50 dogs have jumped to their deaths from the exact same spot on the 100-year-old Overtoun Bridge in Milton, near Dumbarton, Scotland. In 2005, five dogs had jumped in a span of just 6 months"

http://zen-haven.com...e-suicide-spot/

and another linky: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-411038/Why-dogs-leapt-deaths-Overtoun-Bridge.html

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I don't thing it's anything to do with the dogs being suicidal.

You'll understand better when you notice their behaviour near busy streets.

Dogs have absolutely no road sense whatsoever.

One of my previous dogs was lucky to escape serious injury when he was left off the leash.

The outside is one big amusement park for dogs and nothing is out of bounds to them.

They have no inherent sense of danger and you need to keep a wary eye on them all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these were strays and if not their owners were not keeping their eye on the ball.

Looking after dogs is a full time occupation and not to be taken for granted.

• Like 2

Dogs aren't suicidal.

I got a jack russell and this one time he ran off away from home, i try to chase him, but i couldn't catch him, he was just too fast. So i stopped and yelled out "Don't ever come back!!" with my fist pumping in the air. He ran to the main road. I don't know what happened after that. I just walked back inside our house. Then 10 minutes later my dog was knocking on the front door. I could see him through the window wagging his tail and shivering like a scared little dog. I told him to go away but he remained there. So i let him in. He never ran away from home after that event. Something must of scared him.

Edited by pitchp
  • Like 2

Dogs aren't suicidal.

I got a jack russell and this one time he ran off away from home, i try to chase him, but i couldn't catch him, he was just too fast. So i stopped and yelled out "Don't ever come back!!" with my fist pumping in the air. He ran to the main road. I don't know what happened after that. I just walked back inside our house. Then 10 minutes later my dog was knocking on the front door. I could see him through the window wagging his tail and shivering like a scared little dog. I told him to go away but he remained there. So i let him in. He never ran away from home after that event. Something must of scared him.

hhmmm, how odd.

Tell me, does your dogs lips move when he reads? My old one did that...

• Like 2

I wonder if the dogs nose is so sensitive that it can still smell another dogs jump from long time ago so it just jumps too because it smelled the smell of another dogs jump.

• Like 2

Did any of them leave suicide notes? I think not.

I'm betting on a (very old) serial killing dog that's responsible. (Jack Russell the Ripper?)

• Like 7

I know someone who's dog was quite sick and was in a lot of pain. I believed it was scheduled to be put down. It was an old dog and lived in the backyard of this house for years.

So one day going out to the backyard, they saw the poor thing floating in the pond. It was believed to have just jumped in there itself, to commit suicide from all the pain.

Maybe you could argue it slipped in or jumped in. But this dog has been living there for years. It wouldn't jump in for fun because of the pain it was going through. Slipping in is a possibility but the owner knew his dog and believed it jumped in solely to end its life.

I wonder if the dogs nose is so sensitive that it can still smell another dogs jump from long time ago so it just jumps too because it smelled the smell of another dogs jump.

I can see where you are coming from......I live in the rural sticks and there is a car park near by, Range Rovers, etc, my dog is always sniffing the front of the cars, he is sniffing the road kill...awful to say, but thats what it is.

They are always sniffing each other butts as part of a greeting.

They can also recognise by sniffing the ground where they do their business.

I can't really understand why they are so fussy but as I've said before the psychology of dogs is a complete mystery.

This is why they are so useful to the police by recognising stuff beyond the reach of human noses.

So you can probably guess the rest if a posse of dog walkers meet near the bridge with their charges.

What would happen though if we actually make these bridges doggie-proof.

Like maybe smearing the railings with something that is repulsive to dogs.

If we really cared about our canine friends we would.

Why don't they put a barrier on the bridge? They could put up some old looking iron work on it so not to spoil the looks of it. I keep my dog on a leash when we walk. I have special place to give her off leash time.

• Like 1

Why don't they put a barrier on the bridge? They could put up some old looking iron work on it so not to spoil the looks of it. I keep my dog on a leash when we walk. I have special place to give her off leash time.

That's the thing.

We could put all these barriers on but what about all those in the sticks.

There isn't much in the kitty when your just a mainly rural council.

It dosn't matter how much the ones in the cities set a precedent.

At the least though in this case they should consider it at their next meeting.

The Daily Mail link was interesting(an extended version of the other one), and at first I thought, hmm, maybe they're onto something with the 'chasing after mink' idea. Then I thought, it's highly unlikely that a dog would simply fling itself from the top of a wall without pausing to look if it was safe to do so first ...... unless it was inches away from something it was chasing, and that 'something' flung itself off the bridge first(and the link doesn't mention the dogs actually chasing an animal).

Why don't they put a barrier on the bridge? They could put up some old looking iron work on it so not to spoil the looks of it.

That's expensive and probably unsightly; all that's needed is a notice at each end of the bridge, insisting that dogs be on a lead to cross it.

They weren't getting enough cheese.

Or they ate too many sprouts! :o

I smell BS. The "most likely" explanation is not that anything is "haunted", but simply that the town is looking at the successful marketing of Nessie and wants to put itself on the tourist map.

• Like 1

Dogs are instinctively predators who use their good olfactory sense to locate until close enough to visualize the prey. They are driven by the scent of some nearby prey animal and are simply attempting to do what they do best, "run down" their prey. As mentioned, there are prey animals immediately under that area of the bridge. Dogs, unlike cats, are not inherently climbers so the height of the bridge is a confound and in their attempt to run down the prey, I suspect, the dogs are unable to react quickly enough to override the hunt instinct before falling.

Edited by highdesert50
  • Like 2

Good riddance!

Good riddance to who exactly?

I fervently hope your not talking about those poor dogs that jumped off the bridge.

If it is you honestly make my blood boil with your total and utter disregard.

What happened eh? Did you seriously mauled by a dog in the past?

Or you one of these guys who gets their kicks out of beating up defenceless puppies.

If it's the former you'll have to understand it's bad owners not bad dogs.

And if it's the latter you are one sick man who needs to be reported to the RSPCA.

Happy hols to everybody else though.

• Like 2

Good riddance to who exactly?

I fervently hope your not talking about those poor dogs that jumped off the bridge.

If it is you honestly make my blood boil with your total and utter disregard.

What happened eh? Did you seriously mauled by a dog in the past?

Or you one of these guys who gets their kicks out of beating up defenceless puppies.

If it's the former you'll have to understand it's bad owners not bad dogs.

And if it's the latter you are one sick man who needs to be reported to the RSPCA.

Happy hols to everybody else though.

LOL. Dogs don't like me. that's their fault. More than once I have been attacked by them. If they want peace they should make the first move :P

Edited by C235