Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Tripods

Matt Vinyl

Crikey, I remember watching this as a kid and it was creepy! Interesting plot idea too. Anyone else recall watching this series back in the 80's?

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0086818/

Edit: Apologies, not really 'Paranormal', more Sci-fi, if there's a more appropriate sub-forum, please feel free to move this thread there. Thanks!

Edited by Matt Vinyl

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schizoidwoman

• Bonecrusher

• Urisk

• keninsc

I remember it vaguely.

You have this group of people living like something out of the Middle Ages.

And then you've got these aliens that come in tripods.

So the aliens brainwash these people by capping them with something that comes out of the craft.

The people don't make any moves to stop the process which proves how far they are gone.

While these is going you've got a few rebels running around trying to stop the aliens.

From what little screenshots I've seen of the aliens they are quite hideous.

However it still managed to get overshadowed by Doctor Who.

Edited by Medium Brown

Read the original books. Only caught snippets of the series on public television but was put off by the production values and how they totally changed the creature design.

One just alked into my backyard as the clock ticked over to 12/21. Oh well, guess i was wrong there too. :w00t:

Edited by Merc14

I loved this show as a child; in fact, I've just bought the DVD for my husband as he is from the US and never saw it over there.

IIRC a trilogy that was never completed - didn't the BBC can it after two series?

They certaintly did.

It looks like they have canned it on YouTube after one series also.

Edited by Medium Brown

IIRC a trilogy that was never completed - didn't the BBC can it after two series?

The DVD has got a booklet containing a synopsis of what should have happened in the final series but yes, they dropped it because the ratings weren't great!

Apparently Toby Maguire is a huge fan of the Tripods and wants to make a movie on it..

I remember it. Not a bad series actually, although I never quite got some parts of it. Underground resistance were training people to be selected to serve the alien masters and be taken inside their walking ships. Then once they were there they were to figure out the best way to usurp the security systems so they could get guns and explosives inside.

Plots and subplots friendships and betrayal, a few star crossed lovers and some scorned lovers.....typical British series. The special effects were hoke, much like the early Dr. Who series but the writing was well done and it was well acted.

Never heard of it! I was only just born then, but I'm familiar with quite a lot of 80s films and shows. Indeed it's my favourite era for film and TV.