Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

For the theorists: Why did the world not end?

Timothy

Whichever god or gods didn't read their emails people! you'll be hearing from the lawyers very soon. The only thing worse than having an apocalypse is having an anti-apocalyse. That's as bad as having an apocalypse and nobody came!

Ok guys. So why are we still here?

Open slate. All answers welcome.

Any theories? Any extended time frames? Any '2 year buffers' to help you not look so wrong?

I do want answers. And I know there are people on here who should be replying to this topic.

I will be liberal in my replies.

Please proceed...

The world did end, our souls were absorbed by Cthulhu's consciousness and continue to linger in a sort of dreamlike limbo... kind of like life previous to the apocalypse.

We just didn't want it enough.

Very good point. I was half expecting some idiot to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Thank You

t's Newton's law of universal gravitation.

F=Gm1m2/r^2

Where F is the force between 2 bodies, G is Newton's gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the 2 bodies and r is the distance between them.

You can thus calculate and compare the forces of various astronomical objects on earth compared with something like the sun.

Newton had an apple fall on his head what is our experience with this equation such as to the Central Blackhole. Would it stand up or is there some guessing at that distance ?

Thank You

Newton had an apple fall on his head what is our experience with this equation such as to the Central Blackhole. Would it stand up or is there some guessing at that distance ?

There's no reason to think there's anything wrong with it. It successfully describes the orbits of the planets, the moon, satellites, how objects fall in a vacuum, etc. It was used to calculate the trajectories of the Apollo craft to successfully land people on the moon.

It's been succeeded by general relativity, but you only need general relativity in cases where you need extreme accuracy or in extreme situations where Newton's law breaks down.

It's been shown that gravitational force drops off proportional to the square of the distance, e.g. if the earth was twice the distance from the sun, the force of gravity would be 1/4 of what it is, if the moon was 10 times further away, the attraction between the earth and moon would be 100 times less, etc.

You need to provide a specific reason why this universal law doesn't hold in this case and for some reason the gravitational force between the earth and Sagittarius A* is far stronger than it otherwise should be and explain why it is that you believe that this force has altered recently enough to possibly send comets or asteroids from outside our solar system into it. As it is, you're not really making much of a case, you haven't actually explained in any specific way what you think might have occurred to do with the black hole at the center of the galaxy and our solar system and why it might make any difference.

• Like 2

It did end for a billionth of a second, then the earth was re-created and everyone on it. Like magic.

It was such a short moment, that nobody could have actually noticed it so the end of the world had escaped everyone's physical perception. :clap:

Some of your ideas have a very peculiar tone. Anyway, you made me laugh. Thanks.

This is the last time I believe unsubstantiated new age theories.

I was genuinely hoping that humanity would be purged from the planet in some great cataclysm I would have happily accepted my own destruction if I knew the rest of the human race was going down with me. But I was left disappointed and still 'alive'.

Also the idea of acension seemed quite an appealing one but again another lie and example of new age propaganda. I was waiting to be given the chance to ascend looks like I'll have to do it myself now.

Edited by fadedface

hang on .. did someone just say, in all honesty, "we don't reallly know waht the Maya did or did not know" as a DEFENCE of the Maya end-of-the-world prophesy?

• Like 1

hang on .. did someone just say, in all honesty, "we don't reallly know waht the Maya did or did not know" as a DEFENCE of the Maya end-of-the-world prophesy?

There can be no defense of the Mayan end of the world prophecy, because there is no Mayan end of the world prophecy. They didn't believe in the end of the world.

To paraphrase Steven Wright, the world may have ended but been replaced by an exact duplicate. Or... in other words, there's this...

http://www.alternati...k/Particles.htm

"In the world of particle physics, matter is constantly flashing in and out of existence as new particles are created and destroyed."

...so the world is constantly ending.

On that weird note, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Edited by MysticStrummer

There can be no defense of the Mayan end of the world prophecy, because there is no Mayan end of the world prophecy. They didn't believe in the end of the world.

To paraphrase Steven Wright, the world may have ended but been replaced by an exact duplicate.

or Douglas Adams.

Anyway, yes, as someone else once said, if the Mayans were that great Prophets, why did they not apparently see that their own civilisation would be destroyed long before the end of the 13th Baktun?

i like to think it as the start of the apocalypse..not the actual event.

i was hoping at least zombie breakout...lol :hmm:

I think many of us just wish the human race would straighten up and start acting the way they should. What a world it would be without greed, corruption, violence and killing.

The media did the Mayan calendar a great injustice by misinterpreting it. As I understand, it only indicated the end of an earth age and the beginning of a new one. I will admit I was a little disappointed to see nothing changed for the better on the 21st. Hey, maybe it will just take awhile.

Happy New Year to everyone as we enter a "new age". May it be much better than the last one!

Edited by Time Traveler