Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Southern Gotham named Sandy Hook

OverSword

If there both from fictional versions of New York then how come theres never been a Spider Man vs Batman ?

If there both from fictional versions of New York then how come theres never been a Spider Man vs Batman ?

First, Batman is not in New York, he is in Gotham which is based on New York. Second, Batman is from the superior DC comics and Spiderman the inferior Marvel. ;)

Edited by frenat

Batman vs Captain America has happened.

Spider Man vs Superboy has happened.

Maybe one day they will do DC vs Marvel series again.

(SOURCE: Gotham City)

Apology accepted.

That may have been the case in the 30's but clearly Metropolis is New York, where Superman is based and the darker, run by organized crime is Chicago by the 1950's.

Don't try to change my mind with facts.

edited for good job PR

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Nolan didn't create Batman or anything. He's just made the most recent movies. Before Frank Miller the public image of Batman was 'Shark Repellent' and 'Robin and Batman are gay!' Just in recent years has Batman become this dark and gritty character. Seriously, look up some Silver Age Batman comics, you shan't be disappointed.

I guess it's relative to how long old Bats has been around, but, 'recent years' is a bit of a misnomer. Miller did that way back in the 80's. I still have my original copies. Egads, I'm old, like dirt.

I've been a Batman comicbook reader for as long as I can remember, and have always thought of Gotham as New York City. I've never heard or read any indication it was Chicago until I read that post.

So what city do you think Superman's Metropolis is based on then? Dallas? To me the dark sinister run by organized crime Gotham city has always been Chicago. It can't possibly be New York as Superman's Metropolis is obviously New York City.

I guess it's relative to how long old Bats has been around, but, 'recent years' is a bit of a misnomer. Miller did that way back in the 80's. I still have my original copies. Egads, I'm old, like dirt.

True, true. At least he's better then All-Star's Batman.

So what city do you think Superman's Metropolis is based on then? Dallas? To me the dark sinister run by organized crime Gotham city has always been Chicago. It can't possibly be New York as Superman's Metropolis is obviously New York City.

Ooooor, they're both based on New York City?

I've read BOTH Metropolis AND Gotham are supposed to represent the light and dark sides of New York. The ONLY time I've heard Chicago is this thread. In every continuity I've seen Gotham is on the East coast (I've seen one where Metropolis was in Kansas but it is also most often in the East). Sometimes New York exists with Gotham and Metropolis and sometimes it is missing. Still never heard of it being based on Chicago.

I've read BOTH Metropolis AND Gotham are supposed to represent the light and dark sides of New York. The ONLY time I've heard Chicago is this thread. In every continuity I've seen Gotham is on the East coast (I've seen one where Metropolis was in Kansas but it is also most often in the East). Sometimes New York exists with Gotham and Metropolis and sometimes it is missing. Still never heard of it being based on Chicago.

And yet comic books featuring both Batman and Superman, Superman has to fly from Metropolis to Gotham. Two different cities. They are in the same universe (DC Universe) So the city isn't two versions of one city. Gotham has trains (chicago) metropolis has subways and towering bright skyscrapers (new york).

edited for; I already warned you, don't try to change my mind with puny facts. I was reading these comics before most of you were born and still do.

Edited by OverSword

And yet comic books featuring both Batman and Superman, Superman has to fly from Metropolis to Gotham. Two different cities. They are in the same universe (DC Universe) So the city isn't two versions of one city. Gotham has trains (chicago) metropolis has subways and towering bright skyscrapers (new york).

I never said they weren't two different cities. they are BASED ON two parts of New York. Gotham only has trains in some versions

edited for; I already warned you, don't try to change my mind with puny facts. I was reading these comics before most of you were born and still do.

So in other words, your mind is already made up and it doesn't matter what the truth is. Sounds just like a troll to me.

Edit to add: Further evidence it is supposed to be based on New York. Washington Irving first used Gotham as a nickname for New York in 1807. And

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham

Edited by frenat

I think people are taking the fact that Nolan's Batman series was shot mainly on location in Chicago as meaning that Gotham was meant to represent Chicago. Chicago was an inspiration, to be sure, but so were many other large cities:

From Wiki - Gotham City (same source Paul Rubino cited earlier)

Locations used as inspiration or filming locations for the urban portion of Gotham City in the live-action Batman films have included New York City, Los Angeles, West London, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Newark, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and St Neots, while British country house locations in Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire have been used to depict the less urban scene of Wayne Manor.

also...

In Swamp Thing #53, Alan Moore wrote a fictional history for Gotham City that other writers have generally followed. According to Moore's tale, a Norwegian mercenary founded Gotham City and the British later took it over—a story that parallels the founding of New York by the Dutch (as New Amsterdam) and later takeover by the British. During the American Revolutionary War, Gotham City was the site of a major battle (paralleling the Battle of Brooklyn in the American Revolution). This was detailed in Rick Veitch's Swamp Thing #85 featuring Tomahawk. Rumors held it to be the site of various occult rites.

and

In terms of atmosphere, Batman writer and editor Dennis O'Neil has said that, figuratively, "Batman's Gotham City is Manhattan below Fourteenth Street at eleven minutes past midnight on the coldest night in November."

and finally

Gotham City's geography, like other fictional cities' geographies in the DC Universe, has varied over the decades, because of changing writers, editors, and storylines. The majority of appearances place Gotham on the Northeastern coast of the United States, where New York City is located. Also, Manhattan is an island in the Northeastern United States, which corresponds to maps depicting Gotham City. However, the 1990 Atlas of the DC Universe states that Gotham is located in New Jersey, across the Delaware Bay from Metropolis, which would place it on the southern coast of New Jersey. Like Gotham, Metropolis' location has also varied over the years. The distance between Gotham and Metropolis has varied greatly over the years, with depictions of the two ranging from being hundreds of miles apart to Gotham and Metropolis being shown as twin cities on opposite sides of Delaware Bay, with Gotham City in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware.

Historically, "Gotham" has been a nickname for New York City originating on November 11, 1807 by Washington Irving in his Salmagundi Papers. Frank Miller has said that "Metropolis is New York in the daytime; Gotham City is New York at night." DC Comics publisher and former president Paul Levitz says that Gotham is "New York from 14th Street down, the older buildings, more brick-and-mortar as opposed to steel-and-glass." New York Times journalist William Safire described Gotham City as "New York below 14th Street, from SoHo to Greenwich Village, the Bowery, Little Italy, Chinatown, and the sinister areas around the base of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges."

Film adaptations have varied: Tim Burton's Gotham was based primarily on New York, while the films directed by Christopher Nolan have shown a Gotham more closely based on Chicago. In Nolan's films Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, the license plates of the cars registered in Gotham strongly resemble those of Illinois but display "Gotham" as the state. Additionally, during a car chase in Batman Begins one of the cops reports that Batman is travelling west on I-78. Nolan has stated that Chicago is the basis of his portrayal of Gotham, and the majority of both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were filmed there.

Cz

EDITED for typos....

Edited by Czero 101
  • Like 2

So... In other words... Gotham = New York City

No, no! I should actually say 'Gotham based on New York City'.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

According to a 2000 DC table top game, Metropolis is in Delaware and Gotham in New Jeresy. However, DC's offical position is that both cities are along the mid-Atlantic seaboard and in no particular state.

dcusa_ne.gif

You're right on that, but I was going relative on how long Batman's been around.

Owned by competing comic companies. Batman is DC and Spider-Man is Marvel.

Well, yeah, back in the '90's, when it seemed like anything was possible cause the Soviets were gone. DC and Marvel could hang out, pop music hadn't been created yet, it was a better time.

This has turned into quite a comic geek discussion, hasn;t it. B)

Anyway, why would their be Spider-man vs. Batman, since they're both on the side of Justice? Unless one of them was to go Renegade, and it would need the other to put a stop to them, perhaps. That might be an idea with some mileage in it. :ph34r: