Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spreckel Mansion Death/Suicide

Vincennes

^ Yeah, it's sad, but I think there's someone who'll read about it and be able to take away from it a heck of a lot more than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5630163/California-sheriff-reopens-suicide-case-woman-hanging-naked-San-Diego-mansion.html

Not sure if this will produce anything positive in the sense of proving Rebecca was murdered(IMO), but at least the case is still in the spotlight which can't be bad. 

• Like 2

Maybe this will open up a chance to see more evidence in the case and how the Sheriff's Dept came up with the conclusion of suicide. I'm still not convinced it was Adam who is responsible, but a review of the evidence may hold things that weren't made public initially. I wish they would reopen Max's case also.

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to seeing this on that Marcia Clark's First 48 this week. I've liked her other shows about Casey Anthony, Robert Blake, Drew Peterson and Chandra Levy. 

Edited by skliss
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, skliss said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this on that Marcia Clark's First 48 this week. I've liked her other shows about Casey Anthony, Robert Blake, Drew Peterson and Chandra Levy. 

Didn't know about this. What day is it on. I'd like to watch it.

12 hours ago, susieice said:

Didn't know about this. What day is it on. I'd like to watch it.

Thurs at 9 on AMC. The shows are 2 hrs long. Directly after is a show called Grace vs Abrams where Dan Abrams and Nancy Grace debate their positions about the case that was just on Marcia Clarks show, complete with live audience and guests. So far both shows have been interesting though Nancy Grace does grate on the nerves a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skliss said:

Thurs at 9 on AMC. The shows are 2 hrs long. Directly after is a show called Grace vs Abrams where Dan Abrams and Nancy Grace debate their positions about the case that was just on Marcia Clarks show, complete with live audience and guests. So far both shows have been interesting though Nancy Grace does grate on the nerves a bit.

Thanks. These shows should be very interesting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just fyi, the Marcia Clark first 48 this week is "Jam Master Jay" and the Grace vs Abrams is "Laci Peterson".

Marcia Clark has a TV show? Good Lord! :-*

I'm not much interested in true crime shows anymore, and there were only a few I that I ever really did like.

Occasionally, I'll catch an episode of Forensic Files, and I like A Crime To Remember, although I usually forget when it's on.

Boy killed by his mother.   Zahao killed by her family.  10 million wrongful death lawsuit.    It's normally this simple

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:55 AM, petermattson said:

I know most here are not of the belief this is a homicide but the show Breaking Homicide is covering this case on Sunday night.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/breaking-homicide/episode-6-season-1/mystery-at-the-mansion/1180600/

I watched the program and I very much appreciated how the head injuries were evaluated. Personally, I've always believed that those occurred when she went over the balcony and because she went over head first.

Re: Max's death, I don't think it'll ever be known how it actually happened and so in my mind the manner is undetermined.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, regi said:

I watched the program and I very much appreciated how the head injuries were evaluated. Personally, I've always believed that those occurred when she went over the balcony and because she went over head first.

Re: Max's death, I don't think it'll ever be known how it actually happened and so in my mind the manner is undetermined.

Yes. I've been looking for someone to reenact that particular facet of her death and I'm now satisfied suicide is the correct determination.

As far as Max, I agree that undetermined would be best.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, petermattson said:

As far as Max, I agree that undetermined would be best.

I thought that the most curious part of the analysis was the fact that Zahau's sister was also there at the time wasn't at all acknowledged.

10 minutes ago, regi said:

I thought that the most curious part of the analysis was the fact that Zahau's sister was also there at the time wasn't at all acknowledged.

I agree that should have been acknowledged. I would imagine they reached out to the sister and she did not want to discuss it but that's no excuse for not discussing Max's death in more detail. They focused on the banister and pondered whether Rebecca may have yelled at him, causing him to crash but no mention that the sister was there during the incident. If Rebecca was downstairs (which I believe was her statement) and her sister was upstairs "in the shower" it seems like that would be a topic for exploration.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, petermattson said:

They focused on the banister and pondered whether Rebecca may have yelled at him, causing him to crash but no mention that the sister was there during the incident. If Rebecca was downstairs (which I believe was her statement) and her sister was upstairs "in the shower" it seems like that would be a topic for exploration.

Right, and another unacknowledged fact was that according to Zahau, Max said "Ocean" which (obviously) implies that the dog was somehow involved, but to me, the mere suggestion that Zahau may have distracted Max indicates to me that it was observed that there must be more info. surrounding that incident than is known.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 2:54 PM, Regi said:

Right, and another unacknowledged fact was that according to Zahau, Max said "Ocean" which (obviously) implies that the dog was somehow involved, but to me, the mere suggestion that Zahau may have distracted Max indicates to me that it was observed that there must be more info. surrounding that incident than is known.

Since that is the first I've heard of the idea Rebecca may have distracted Max, I was assuming it was speculation on the part of the hosts and merely an attempt to explain why she may have felt such extreme guilt. Until I see some evidence that this came out in police interviews or in some other part of the investigation, I have to think it was nothing more than that. I was also surprised re: Ocean, because that seems like yet another thing that would be important if true (or if even if it was contradicted at some point in the original or subsequent investigation, the hosts should have at least mentioned it).

• Like 2

On 5/11/2018 at 8:56 AM, petermattson said:

Since that is the first I've heard of the idea Rebecca may have distracted Max, I was assuming it was speculation on the part of the hosts and merely an attempt to explain why she may have felt such extreme guilt.

Oh, that's a good point that they were speculating re: guilt...what I noticed was that they seemed to accept that it must have been the angled part of the railing (downward along the stairs) that Max went over... they also appeared to me to readily discount whether there was staging and I think those two issues are primary to their conclusion of accident.

Speaking of whether Zahau  guilfelt guilt, I'd expect she would have- not that she should or that it would be right, just that it'd be natural- and so when her sister was insistent that Zahau didn't feel guilt, or responsibility- only sadness- I wouldn't/don't buy it.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:56 AM, petermattson said:

I was also surprised re: Ocean, because that seems like yet another thing that would be important if true (or if even if it was contradicted at some point in the original or subsequent investigation, the hosts should have at least mentioned it).

Well, before I watched the Zahau episode, I watched the final theory part of the program re: three prior cases and I looked up those cases and learned enough info to form an impression and then I listened to their conclusions and found that I'd arrived at those same *conclusions and so I was really looking forward to hearing their conclusions re: this case. (You know, it's actually two cases...) Anyway...

I'll admit that I took one look at the one guy and I thought to myself what's he gonna know about anything (he seemed too young, therefore, inexperienced) but I ended up pleasantly surprised (his reasoning was 'mature') and so I'm confident that their investigation into both incidents was thorough and that it's actually the editors with whom we have a problem. :yes::td:

Edit: Totally agree re: the 'Ocean' info, since I'm highly skeptical as to whether Max was capable of uttering anything at all.

Edited by Regi

On 5/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, petermattson said:

Since that is the first I've heard of the idea Rebecca may have distracted Max, I was assuming it was speculation on the part of the hosts and merely an attempt to explain why she may have felt such extreme guilt. Until I see some evidence that this came out in police interviews or in some other part of the investigation, I have to think it was nothing more than that. I was also surprised re: Ocean, because that seems like yet another thing that would be important if true (or if even if it was contradicted at some point in the original or subsequent investigation, the hosts should have at least mentioned it).

Considering the condition Max was in when found on the floor, it doesn't seem very likely he could speak. Rebecca claimed to be giving him CPR at the time 911 was called and the EMT's continued after they arrived. To the best of my knowledge, Max never said anything at all up to his death.