Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Vincennes

Spreckel Mansion Death/Suicide

782 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Vincennes
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Vincennes said:

You're right here, Ouija.  It's back in the thread.  He did leave quickly and for a couple of days they had trouble even locating him when they wanted to interview him again.  Found him in a new location, living in a rented room.

There is a lot of information back in this thread.  It's interesting going over it.  PeterMasterson first brought up Adam's rapid departure on Pg. 10 of the thread.  It was also later noted around that Adam and Jonah were not know to be especially close so it was doubly odd when he jumped on a plane seemingly before the news of Max's worsened condition was known.   It seems he had also left BEFORE Max's funeral.  Post # 270, I noted that I found the information on the search for Adam in a Memphis newspaper rather than a national story and from Ann Rule's book.  

You're memory re. Adam was correct.  

I found something else about Adam that I thought I'd also mention.  LE said they were originally pretty taken back when Adam went over what he did when he woke up and announced to them he'd watched porn on his phone.  Even they noted people usually didn't jump out there with that type information and they thought him a bit weird.  I wonder if this is some of what they are going to link to Adam.  This info tied to the fact that they found porno on R's bedroom computer which LE tried to say was R's.  If they searched Adam's phone records and found the same site as was on R's in the bedroom, they have a possible tie.  

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

Thanks for the references Vincennes. So many links in here!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

oh wow. Not sure if this is true but it appears to be. Link is documentation about the issue over Xena being Rebecca's daughter, or not. If there is no true to it, why is this even raised legally between the Zahau family and Dina?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lefthandedkitten/is-xena-rebecca-s-child-t1131.html

casts a lot of different light on some aspects of Max's death and Rebecca's behavior at points. Not sure yet what I think.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Posted (edited)

Trying to look up Rebecca's husband to see if he mentions a child somewhere. The article is wrong as it says their divorce in February, 2011 was five months after her death. It was actually five months before. That is a shocker!

http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/breaking-news/rebecca-zahaus-husband-neil-nalepa/

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/money-and-power/a13795756/shaknai-deaths-mystery-coronado-california/

From this second article, Jonah said Neil texted Rebecca every day and stayed in consistent contact with her. Quote is towards bottom of page. Neil was cleared of suspicion.

He characterized the relationship between his girlfriend and his ex-wife as being “at the edge of civil” and mentioned that Rebecca’s ex-husband, a man named Neil Nalepa, who was later cleared of suspicion, “was in exceedingly insistent contact with her, [he] texts her almost everyday.” Despite his seeming confidence that Rebecca had killed herself, near the end of the interview, after the officers asked about security dogs, Jonah said, “Do I need protection?”

 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Posted (edited)

This link is from WordPress. It links to the change.org and the donation site for Rebecca's family, but it gives a really good timeline of who was going in and out of the mansion at the time of the deaths. There was a man from Arizona who was a friend of Jonah who came in the day Max fell. The article doesn't put him at the mansion at all. I didn't know Xena and Rebecca were taken by police to a care clinic for stitches because Xena had cut her hand helping to clean up the chandelier. This article is pretty good. You can use links at the top for specific info.

https://rebeccazahaumurder.wordpress.com/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

Here are ALLEGED points brought up in Ann  Rule's book about the case maybe we can fact check:

I am quoting from a thread/post at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lefthandedkitten/ann-rule-s-book-blurb-changed-update-on-the-novell-t672.html

-Why did Rebecca refer to Xena as her daughter, and Xena refer to Rebecca on the 911 call as her MOTHER??

-Why did the book describe her as a nurse? Did she lie to Jonah about being a nurse?

-Ann mentions the fact that only Rebecca and her daughter were with Max when he was mortally wounded, and she does mention the fact that the chandelier appeared to be CUT down rather than broken, but why not explore what that crucial piece of evidence could mean?

-Why wasn't the fact that Rebecca admitted guilt ("Dina's going to kill me") and Xena's cryptic text AFTER Rebecca died, which mentions Rebecca's possible role in Max's death, mentioned?

-Ann Rule failed to mention that Rebecca went on a shopping spree after Max received his fatal injuries, then went to the gym the next day. Sounds so very odd for someone who allegedly loved Max "like he was her own son" to head to the mall and charge up a credit card, then hop to the gym.

Some of this is news to me. I picked out bits from that thread to share here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

man either this forum is way way out there or I need to go back and read Max's case and autopsy. They are saying that there was pieces of potted plant in his lungs from inhaling them, perhaps in his mouth. There is also a picture of Rebecca on that forum 14 hours before her death taken by Xena and she is bruised up and wearing long sleeves as if hiding her arms from scratches. THEY are inferring a fight had already happened before or during Max's injury.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Posted (edited)

I don't know. The timeline from WordPress that I posted said Jonah's older children were still there the first night that Xena stayed. His daughter Gabby was around the same age as Xena. I didn't know that before. Xena had cuts on her legs that needed four stitches (from cleaning up the chandelier?). I'm still finding links I haven't seen depending on how I word my search. I wonder if something did happen that night they were all together.

So much is not examined or never released. Ann Rule is usually pretty good and she got some things wrong. I didn't know she wrote a book about this case.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

This is a forum which basically is pro-suicide and covers the cases in that light: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lefthandedkitten/index.php

It is very interesting and also mentions a great deal we have not heard of in this thread though some of it was discussed on a private chatroom I am in about the case. I will quit reading there and look at this link you sent above, Susie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

This is a forum which basically is pro-suicide and covers the cases in that light: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lefthandedkitten/index.php

It is very interesting and also mentions a great deal we have not heard of in this thread though some of it was discussed on a private chatroom I am in about the case. I will quit reading there and look at this link you sent above, Susie.

First thing I found in this link is Dina's change.org request to get signatures to open Max's case. This is going to take some reading.

https://www.change.org/p/tell-the-coronado-police-dept-re-open-the-investigation-into-max-shacknai-s-death

The Facebook link has a 2014 date and the other link doesn't work. At least not for me.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

If this stuff is even half true, we should hear some interesting rebuttal when the defense gets going. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
8 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

oh wow. Not sure if this is true but it appears to be. Link is documentation about the issue over Xena being Rebecca's daughter, or not. If there is no true to it, why is this even raised legally between the Zahau family and Dina?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lefthandedkitten/is-xena-rebecca-s-child-t1131.html

casts a lot of different light on some aspects of Max's death and Rebecca's behavior at points. Not sure yet what I think.

I've read a few mentions about Rebecca being Xena's mother too.  It's certainly a possibility if you look at the ages.  I'd like to see the ages of R's parents to see how likely it was for them to have a child Xena's age.  (I had to laugh though at whoever copied statement's "If there's not some truth to it."  Well, sir, I don't think this is a case of there might be "some" truth.  Either she's her daughter or she's not.  That's pretty plain and simple. )

Do we know who Bradley R. Mathews is ?  I've never read one of these before but to me this appears to be a settlement between Dina and Xena.  It doesn't mention remuneration for them releasing Dina on behalf of Xena but I wonder if there was any.  In other words, did Dina pay Xena Zahau (who she darn well knows is R's daughter) to be let off the hook ?  

Note:  The link contained in the article which seems to be to the court record it self doesn't work.  Makes me a little suspicious of the entire thing.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what website this is coming from but none of these sounds familiar to me in anyway and I read the book as soon as it came out.  Since I believe Ann Rule and Anne Bremner are friends I was really looking to find some inside information and there was NOTHING.  I can remember there was one glaring error which was a misstatement from the autopsy that Rebecca's feet were tied so that they could be parted 5".  Now that's a pretty darn important fact when you consider it's what limits her ability to get to the balcony.  Per both autopsies her feet could only separate 2".  How could a true crime author publish an error like that from a black and white document all Ms. Rule had to do was read and copy.  I vowed never to read one of her books again.  

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, susieice said:

This link is from WordPress. It links to the change.org and the donation site for Rebecca's family, but it gives a really good timeline of who was going in and out of the mansion at the time of the deaths. There was a man from Arizona who was a friend of Jonah who came in the day Max fell. The article doesn't put him at the mansion at all. I didn't know Xena and Rebecca were taken by police to a care clinic for stitches because Xena had cut her hand helping to clean up the chandelier. This article is pretty good. You can use links at the top for specific info.

https://rebeccazahaumurder.wordpress.com/

Howard Lubner's visit has a couple of interesting sides to it.  For one thing, he's an MD and he did spend at least a little time at the hospital with Jonah on the 11th.  That makes me question the fact that Jonah wasn't aware of how serious Max's injuries were until the 12th.  It's hard for me to believe as an MD he wouldn't have picked up Max's chart and known full well the little boy was gone.  Also hard to believe, even if Max's dr. was avoiding telling them, that Howard wouldn't have given Jonah some type of heads up.  

Howard is also the central figure in my repeated claims about the timeline being messed up.  In the LE timelines, Howard appears in the company of Jonah, Rebecca, and Adam and then disappears in others.  

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
11 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

oh wow. Not sure if this is true but it appears to be. Link is documentation about the issue over Xena being Rebecca's daughter, or not. If there is no true to it, why is this even raised legally between the Zahau family and Dina?

 

Something just occurred to me.  If Rebecca had delivered a child (Xena) that fact should have without a doubt shown up on her autopsy report.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
regi
22 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I suppose the purpose of replicating the knots would be to show that hog-tying is not something you can do to yourself and you most certainly couldn't move across the bedroom onto the balcony and then tip yourself over the railings. I'd like to see the defence try to demonstrate that it's possible! 

I think the defense will show that the dirty soles of her feet, the bare footprints and orientation of heels and toes together prove that she had in fact, stood on the balcony with her ankles tied together and that the undisturbed dust on the balcony showed that she was lone on the balcony.

As for the knot analyst, it sounds to me like what he actually ending up indicating to the jury was that when another person tied those knots, they didn't appear as they had on the body.

My other point was that if his opinion was that she was hog tied, then hog tie is what he should have demonstrated, in other words, he should have shown how those knots are replicated as a result from a hog tie.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
regi
12 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

oh wow. Not sure if this is true but it appears to be. Link is documentation about the issue over Xena being Rebecca's daughter, or not. If there is no true to it, why is this even raised legally between the Zahau family and Dina?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lefthandedkitten/is-xena-rebecca-s-child-t1131.html

:o No way! 

10 hours ago, susieice said:

I seem to remember having heard Xena's 911 call, although I'm not positive and I haven't been able to relocate it.

Adam's is available on YouTube.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
3 hours ago, Vincennes said:

I've read a few mentions about Rebecca being Xena's mother too.  It's certainly a possibility if you look at the ages.  I'd like to see the ages of R's parents to see how likely it was for them to have a child Xena's age.  (I had to laugh though at whoever copied statement's "If there's not some truth to it."  Well, sir, I don't think this is a case of there might be "some" truth.  Either she's her daughter or she's not.  That's pretty plain and simple. )

Do we know who Bradley R. Mathews is ?  I've never read one of these before but to me this appears to be a settlement between Dina and Xena.  It doesn't mention remuneration for them releasing Dina on behalf of Xena but I wonder if there was any.  In other words, did Dina pay Xena Zahau (who she darn well knows is R's daughter) to be let off the hook ?  

Note:  The link contained in the article which seems to be to the court record it self doesn't work.  Makes me a little suspicious of the entire thing.  

it states "*Link is only good for a week or so."

a lot of the links don't work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
1 hour ago, Vincennes said:

 

Something just occurred to me.  If Rebecca had delivered a child (Xena) that fact should have without a doubt shown up on her autopsy report.   

I have not seen this remarked on routinely if it is an old pregnancy and fully healed. I have seen it remarked when it is recent, however. I honestly do not know if it ALWAYS is remarked. I have not had a lot of mature mothers in my cases in the past to have noted either way tbh.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
regi
31 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I have not seen this remarked on routinely if it is an old pregnancy and fully healed. I have seen it remarked when it is recent, however. I honestly do not know if it ALWAYS is remarked. I have not had a lot of mature mothers in my cases in the past to have noted either way tbh.

A scar from a cesarean section is/would be documented, but usually there's not a reason to make a determination as to whether the person had given birth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
2 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I have not seen this remarked on routinely if it is an old pregnancy and fully healed. I have seen it remarked when it is recent, however. I honestly do not know if it ALWAYS is remarked. I have not had a lot of mature mothers in my cases in the past to have noted either way tbh.

Well this is not exactly a routine case :D  You don't think LE would have jumped on the fact that Rebecca had misrepresented herself as being without children.   (Jonah makes the comment that she didn't have children of her own in his recent interview)  That she had deceived Jonah.  The same detectives that are trying to convince everyone that Rebecca was unstable enough to commit suicide in that ridiculous manner are going to dismiss the little fact as a so what ? !!!

There is one way that I can see that happening and that's if the ME was doing the inept job in the autopsy that I think he was doing.  Maybe he was more focused on not seeing things than in seeing them.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincennes
Posted (edited)

Rock,  something else just crossed my mind in relationship to the possibility of hog tying .   I know law-enforcement isn’t allowed to use that technique in itself it can cause fatalities  By way of suffocation   Would the person pass out first ?   How would that show up in an autopsy ?

Edit:   The hog tying possibility reminds me that the computer in Becky’s room had been tuned to porno But not just any porno it was oriental bondage did we have an oriental girl hogtied and violated right in front of that computer

Edited by Vincennes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

    • Bianco1971