Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why do people still believe in big foot

mygrassisgreen

So, it really has to do with habitat, and generations before you.

Sounds logical. But we're still slow witted in the woods. Not so much the hunters though.... they're more savvy than most.

You have to be in order to be a successful hunter. However, with the advantage of modern fire arms we do have a huge advantage now so we don't have to be quite so mindful of what we're doing, however the prey is always wary.

Ok, I'll say "I'm slow witted in the woods and it seems everyone else I've been out there with is just as slow witted as I am, if not more so."

But all my arguing friends here are the best and very quick witted in the woods. Nothing gets by them. Is that better?

Give me time and I'll learn how to navigate the waters here.

• Like 1

It is no coincidence that Patterson also had a high regard for this person (Ray Wallace) and consulted him prior to making his Bigfoot film...

"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed, or the most manlike (and largest) non-human primate on earth has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science." - Forensic anthropologist George W. Gill, Former Director of the American Board of Forensic Anthropologists

Note that he says "anthropology" (the study of humankind; of our societies and cultures) rather than "biology" (study of living organisms) or even "zoology" (study of animal life). This is significant.

Following the trail of Bigfoot reveals a history of fakery and storytelling loosely based on the same theme - the Wild/Hairy Man. Such fakery and storytelling is neither overly complex nor sophisticated but it is a very human thing to do. This part of our (anglo) folkloric tradition overlaps with that of the Native Americans is reflected in the distribution of Bigfoot sightings which largely cease at the Mexican border. The folklore of the Latin culture which colonized central America overlaps with that of the Native Americans moreso in terms of "devils" (like the modern Chupucabra) than "wild/hairy-men". If Bigfoot were a real creature it would also be appearing with the same frequency south of the border and that is simply not the case...

See Mangani's Bigfoot Maps.

There is much evidence that Bigfoot is a cultural experience. There is no evidence that Bigfoot is an undocumented species.

Excellent point NW,

Bigfoot is either a cultural belief, or the border patrol is more effective at keeping bigfoot out of Mexico than keeping Mexicans in Mexico.

Seriously though that map pretty much says it all doesn't it?

Ok, I'll say "I'm slow witted in the woods and it seems everyone else I've been out there with is just as slow witted as I am, if not more so."

But all my arguing friends here are the best and very quick witted in the woods. Nothing gets by them. Is that better?

I am not saying anyone is " better " then anyone else. Nor am I arguing.

I could go out right now and track down a few Elk....My wife on the other hand, would never see them.

I am just saying it is not being " witty ", it is having experience, and education on how to do it.

Take evancj for example. He can go out and get magnificent wildlife pictures at anytime, because he has experience doing it. Just as you would if you made it a hobby of yours.

I know one thing, if I were lost i the woods and had to survive on vegetation, I would have a very good chance of dying. I know little to nothing of what is safe to eat.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

*hands stardrive a cupcake

• Like 1

Bigfoot-related threads on UM in 2012:

Russian Bigfoot/Yeti – promotion to raise money for orphans

New Bigfoot Footage: Marble Mountain – likely hoax

Searching for bigfoot among the redwoods – about Bigfooters

Local Residents Spot Bigfoot In West Virginia - orangepeaceful79 becomes a skeptic after 12 posts

Seeking the British Bigfoot – still seeking

The Erickson Project – Bigfoot documentary perpetually in the pipeline

How Gigantopithecus Became Extinct

(Not) Finding Bigfoot Season 2 – self-explanatory

Video from BFRO – a “Class BS” sighting

Really? Bigfoot?

Bigfoot Reasercher Gone Missing – Bigfoot hoaxer-researcher Todd Standing

Bigfoot watching kids? – Blobsquatch

What is Bigfoot?

Bigfoot / Predator control hunting

Bigfoot eat their dead...

I just love these guys.... – BFRO antics

Dung – we ain’t found ****

What do the Hairy Guys eat?

Hairy Giants: Goliath-Sized Monsters

Post your Bigfoot HAIKU

New Bigfoot documentary to prove it exists. – No. Just “Finding Bigfoot”

40,000-yr-old footprint 5ft Spider Monkey USA

brainstorm with me, UM friends – How to find a dead Sasquatch

Porcupines? - Eating Bigfoot bones

Mogollon Monster - Arizona's Bigfoot?

Was it a Big Foot or a Skinwalker?

Brocken spectre - bigfoot? Yeti?

Brand spankin new! – believer lasts 10 posts

Cowboys and Sasquatch

Sasquatch aka Bigfoot Evidence

New Trail Cam Pic – hoax

Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?

The Problems with Bigfoot - and why his existence is dubious

Top 50 Sasquatch Verified Videos of all time?

Sumatran Orang Pendek Hairs Match Rock Hyrax

Born to be Wild: The People of the Woods

"Finding Bigfoot"

Bigfoot insights?

List of things BFRO says attract squatch

Yeren

market value of BF footage is $100 per sec. – Who says hoaxing doesn’t pay?

Bigfoot shot by hunters – yet still no bodies

Mapping Big Foot sightings to Vegetation

Four Legged Turns Into 8ft Hairy Man-like

Gorilla or Bigfoot? - Gorilla Reported At Large in Alabama: Nothing found

Rhode Island Big Hairy Man-like Encounter – not even BFRO took it seriously

NPR story on Bigfoot phenomenon

Bigfoot Body, Nessie,or crashed UFO? - What will you do or think if or when this is proven?

Rebuilding the Bigfoot Theory

List of things that BFRO says Bigfoots avoid

Upside down trees - Planted by bigfoot to define territory

On the trail with Bigfoot-hunters

Park Service Requiring Permits to Hunt Bigfoot

" Tree Knocking " For Bigfoot

Zana, the Ape Woman

"Bigfoot" sounds and habits

My new theory on Bigfoots. - Unknown bear

Never heard this take of BF before – Demons

Has this video been proven fake yet ? – Yes

Photo of Bigfoot getting a drink of Water – what ever happened to RoadMaster04?

What 'Finding Bigfoot' has taught me

Australian Yeti

Oliver the "Chimp?"

PGF Breakdown

The Ultimate Patterson film topic

The 6 Ways That Bigfoots Talk To Each Other

Rock Apes

Three Mysterious Creature Encounters – anonymous stories

A Monster-Sized Mistake:When the Eye Deceives

Are Bigfoot Witnesses Really Seeing Reptoids?

Wildfires in Bigfoot Country

Hunting Bigfoot and shooting him Dead - It's been OKed in Texas

Tracking Belief in Bigfoot

Bigfoot: The Implications of Discovery

Stone-throwing Yowie stalks four stockmen

Oxford University project starts serious hunt

Favourite/Best Bigfoot Hoaxes In your opinion

Bigfoot in Idaho

Animal Planet episode seeks Bigfoot

Sasquatch Video Thread - compilation of videos

A quest for all you Bigfoot skeptics

Red Littlefoot Encounter Mirrors Orang Pendek

Panthers, yowie men and a headless roo

Tracking Dogs: Animal Planet 'Finding Bigfoot’

Is the bigfoot

Historical record about Yeti/Almas

Squatch, shadow People & UFOs?

Bigfoot possibly Homoheidelbergensis?

Crazy 1981 Rome Ohio Bigfoot incident

Bigfoot Body Found Conference at 3pm MST – Hoax

Is Bigfoot Possibly an Alien Entity?

Lousiana Rougarou ("bigfoot")

'Yeti finger' DNA test results to be revealed – human

Hunting the Chinese 'Wild Man'

I Killed Bigfoot! - A Conversation With Justin Smeja

Bigfoot Costume

How many fruitless years will it take?

Rock Throwing?

Albert Ostman

Can Escaped Animals Account For Bigfoot?

Does Bigfoot live in the Russian tundra ? – Shenanigans in Russia

Why are there so many versions of Bigfoot?

Long shot theory about Bigfoot – Bigfoot = Alien

Little people in the OR woods

From the mouths of BFRO

Mystery hairy hand terrifies locals – bear

Did a Canadian trapper capture an amazingly clear photo of Bigfoot? – No

students capture images of Bigfoot in Idaho?

Animal Planet TV crew capture yowie audio

Arctic Bigfoot? Balding polar bear?

Man dressed as Sasquatch hit and killed

Anyone catch Survivorman's Top 10 show?

Three separate sightings of yetis in Siberia

Multiple bigfoot creatures in Patterson film

Jane Goodall 'fascinated' by Bigfoot

Sasquatch sighting in Nunavik

The Yahoo 1842

Bigfoot, Witchs, uphill flowing stream, UFO

New Bigfoot video - Hoax

The Jersey Devil, Bigfoot and other cryptids

Hunting Bigfoot

The Patterson/Gimlin bigfoot film re-examined

Bigfoot on wall in cave next to human scull

Bigfoot Vandalizes Winnebago - it speaks for itself

Bigfoot Possibly Caught on Tape – likely hoax

What a surprise! - Melba Ketchum DNA Lab closed down

Reason Bigfooters want to find evidence

New Bigfoot sighting video – Minnesota

New Bigfoot movie

Upswing in Bigfoot activity?

Minnesota Iceman

Tom Biscardi / Ivan Marx Fake Bigfoot Videos

[Merged]Sasquatch in Siberia? Possible Evidence found – Russian shenanigans

Telepathic Bigfoot Research

Provo Bigfoot Breakdown Video

News release from the BFRO!

Bigfoot, Texas

Do you really want Bigfoot to exist?

Unknown “creature” captured on trail camera

Airship to conduct aerial search for Bigfoot

Bigfoot video in Provo, Utah

Bigfoot: real or myth? -- Why? -- Why not?

[Merged]Bigfoot-like creature spotted Tunbridge Wells

Man claims audio proof of Bigfoot's existence

Bigfoot Is Real - Researchers Claim To Have Sequenced Bigfoot DNA

[Merged] Interesting possible Bigfoot pic

Expert view of the Ketchum Bigfoot DNA claim

$10 Million Bigfoot Bounty

Bigfoot Blimp.....

Sasquatch DNA Study Announcement

The Problem with Bigfoot: Part 2

The REAL reason we don't have BF photos

Dr. Melba Ketchum on the radio this morning

Are we closing in on Bigfoot?

Rick dyer tent footage, Dead bigfoot.

why do people still believe in big foot

A Day in the Life of Bigfoot

Bigfoot captured alive?

Bigfoot is either a cultural belief, or the border patrol is more effective at keeping bigfoot out of Mexico than keeping Mexicans in Mexico.

Seriously though that map pretty much says it all doesn't it?

If Mexicans are even more stealthy than Bigfoots then perhaps we can use that to our advantage. Finding Bigfoot should hire and send in some Mexicans to get evidence while US Border Patrol is redirected to seal off the area:

findingbigfootwithmexic.jpg

Foolproof...

Edited by Night Walker

Russian Bigfoot/Yeti – promotion to raise money for orphans.................

New Bigfoot Footage: Marble Mountain – likely hoax....................

snipped to cut length....

Damn NW, how long did that take?.....Nice.

a lot of bf topics in one year....or should I say bs topics.

I wonder how that blimp is going?

I could go out right now and track down a few Elk....My wife on the other hand, would never see them.

I could go out there right now and kill a deer using only the resources available within the environment (2 different techniques). And I don't hunt. But I somehow mysteriously have the knowledge now to do so. Hope I never have to put into practice.

I am just saying it is not being " witty ", it is having experience, and education on how to do it.

Allow me to clarify. By slow witted I think what I'm really trying to say is, when thrown a curve ball (while out in the forest), it takes a while for us to wrap our head around it. Our deductive reasoning kicks in and the clock starts ticking. Sometimes it's days before an "oh, so that's what that is/was" moment to happen. Experience out there helps to resolve some of the issues quickly, I'll agree on that. But what was it like before that experience was gained?

Take evancj for example. He can go out and get magnificent wildlife pictures at anytime, because he has experience doing it. Just as you would if you made it a hobby of yours.

evancj?? who is that? Oh, you mean the desktop wallpaper guy. J/K evan :lol: Yeah, he's good. Correction, real dam good.

That reminds of a story about evan and I. About a year or 2 ago we were debating and he mentioned how he would go out bushwacking and squatchin by himself. I went all to hell and started preaching to him about the dangers of doing that and so on and so forth. So what do you think I went and did? That is correct, I got the idea to drive out an old fire road and do some squatchin of my own, and on my own. I drove about 4 miles in to where the old growth hemlocks were, parked the rustbucket and with camera in hand set out to see what I could find. After a couple hours out there pokin around I went back to my car. As I approached my car I heard a very loud whistle sound coming from the area where I had just been. I was like "holy cow, what kind of bird is that!?. As I was driving away it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a mountain lion kit calling for mamma. I apologize evan, I shot off at the mouth and turned right around and did the same thing I advised you not to do. And it had the potential to cost me my life.

I know one thing, if I were lost i the woods and had to survive on vegetation, I would have a very good chance of dying. I know little to nothing of what is safe to eat.

I looked into that once and discovered a money racket. You have to buy a book on the edible vegatation. No amount of Googling is going to reveal that information. Yeah, I'd die to, man cannot live on deer alone but I did try it with beer in my younger days. :lol:

Russian Bigfoot/Yeti – promotion to raise money for orphans

New Bigfoot Footage: Marble Mountain – likely hoax

Searching for bigfoot among the redwoods – about Bigfooters

*snip*

That's why I'm here. Love it! Nonbelievers keep the myth alive as well.

That reminds of a story about evan and I. About a year or 2 ago we were debating and he mentioned how he would go out bushwacking and squatchin by himself. I went all to hell and started preaching to him about the dangers of doing that and so on and so forth. So what do you think I went and did? That is correct, I got the idea to drive out an old fire road and do some squatchin of my own, and on my own. I drove about 4 miles in to where the old growth hemlocks were, parked the rustbucket and with camera in hand set out to see what I could find. After a couple hours out there pokin around I went back to my car. As I approached my car I heard a very loud whistle sound coming from the area where I had just been. I was like "holy cow, what kind of bird is that!?. As I was driving away it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a mountain lion kit calling for mamma. I apologize evan, I shot off at the mouth and turned right around and did the same thing I advised you not to do. And it had the potential to cost me my life.

That would not be a good feeling at all......Glad you were ok, and also glad you went out and did something you wanted to do.

I had a chukar hunt where I was walking a ledge ( Nevada, cliffs about 10 feet above my head as I walked ). I made a big circle around the mountain top, on my second pass I saw large paw prints in the sand where I had walked a hour before....I took 3 shots in the air and walked to truck.

Another, bow hunting, sleeping in the back of my blazer with the top off. When I got up in the morning, bear prints all around camp, including below my tail gate.

I stopped hunting years ago, other then occasional upland bird, but I still go out and explore. I enjoy it out there. I should go more, and actually take a camera with me.

Anyway, why do people still believe in Bigfoot?....Especially with the latest lies and hoax's recently.

Anyway, why do people still believe in Bigfoot?....Especially with the latest lies and hoax's recently.

I don't buy into disinformation campaigns, and honestly I despise conspiracy theories. My Dad made sure of that.

When I began my quest into this I went into it with an open yet skeptical mind. The rational part of the mind doesn't take to mental train wrecks very well I eventually found out.

But as far as why I think there could be a real, and undocumented by science, flesh and blood creature is because of what I personally experienced, touched, and studied myself first hand. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I don't have a body of one of them to offer up for study so nit pickin and chicken scrathin around about evidence or what I found would serve no usefull purpose. But the experience wasn't a total bust, I did manage to walk away with a tidbit of knowledge about our primative past and learned some interesting things about mother nature.

Happy New Year everyone !!!!

I don't buy into disinformation campaigns, and honestly I despise conspiracy theories. My Dad made sure of that.

There's a reason why the Bigfoot "disinformation campaign" is so successful: there's is no new information on Bigfoot.

I can understand people believing in fairies since they're small, but I don't understand people who believe that a nine foot bipedal creature which has to eat tons of food is stomping around our forests undetected.

Took a while....Did not get a Deer with a bow for my first 5 years of bow hunting. Had plenty of shots, just nothing inside 50 yards. I wish I had taken a camera with me every time though.

I hit a deer with my car once. Who needs bows and guns? :lol:

Back in my hunting days I was watching a group of deer right before sun rise, I could barely make out a very nice buck in the group but wanted some better light before I took it down. Unfortunately they moved off into a forested area before I had my chance. I wanted to track them to their bedding grounds so I made my way to where I last saw them, as I bent down to look for sign, I heard a commotion in a thick stand of scrub oak about 30 meters behind me. I whorled around just in time to see a mountain lion break though the tree line. He came to a screeching halt about 20 meters from me, I was ready to shoot him but he just stood there looking at me. I had enough time to see he was a young one with fading spots. We looked at each other for what seemed like along time then turned around and bounded back into the brush. I walked back to my dad's land cruiser and went to a different location.

Here's the thing, I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the great basin (Sakari knows the place) there was nothing to do but hunt fish trap and observe nature. To the untrained eye the great basin it looks like a desolate and godforsaken wasteland. But if you take the time to actually look, study and observe you will find that it is chocked full of life. I posted some photos yesterday in the trial camera thread that where taken at the eastern edge of the great basin.

I spent the majority of my adult life in the military and spent much of my time in very remote and dangerous places doing what I did growing up, watching and observing the habits of targets of interest. Every living thing is a creature of habit, and being a successful out doors person is nothing than watching, observing, and learning the habits and environmental requirements of those things that you would like to kill, and eat (photograph in my case).

• Like 2

Back in my hunting days I was watching a group of deer right before sun rise, I could barely make out a very nice buck in the group but wanted some better light before I took it down. Unfortunately they moved off into a forested area before I had my chance. I wanted to track them to their bedding grounds so I made my way to where I last saw them, as I bent down to look for sign, I heard a commotion in a thick stand of scrub oak about 30 meters behind me. I whorled around just in time to see a mountain lion break though the tree line. He came to a screeching halt about 20 meters from me, I was ready to shoot him but he just stood there looking at me. I had enough time to see he was a young one with fading spots. We looked at each other for what seemed like along time then turned around and bounded back into the brush. I walked back to my dad's land cruiser and went to a different location.

Here's the thing, I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the great basin (Sakari knows the place) there was nothing to do but hunt fish trap and observe nature. To the untrained eye the great basin it looks like a desolate and godforsaken wasteland. But if you take the time to actually look, study and observe you will find that it is chocked full of life. I posted some photos yesterday in the trial camera thread that where taken at the eastern edge of the great basin.

I spent the majority of my adult life in the military and spent much of my time in very remote and dangerous places doing what I did growing up, watching and observing the habits of targets of interest. Every living thing is a creature of habit, and being a successful out doors person is nothing than watching, observing, and learning the habits and environmental requirements of those things that you would like to kill, and eat (photograph in my case).

We need to get together some time and swap stories :)

Great%20Basin.JPG

One of my favorite places in that area......

LittleHighRockCanyon.jpg

high-rock-canyon-october-08-48.jpg

Little High Rock Canyon, and surrounding area....Picture does not do it justice......Bighorn sheep, Chukar, Wild Horses.....You name it. Best Chukar hunting on the planet...Tons of history also.....

Anyway, back on topic....sorry, brought back memories.

Edited by Sakari

There's a reason why the Bigfoot "disinformation campaign" is so successful: there's is no new information on Bigfoot.

Calling them successful is news to me. Don't tell me you...... never mind. There is no new news on bf and more than likely never will be.

I can understand people believing in fairies since they're small, but I don't understand people who believe that a nine foot bipedal creature which has to eat tons of food is stomping around our forests undetected.

If you're interested in the subject, get out there and look for yourself. If you feel it would be a fruitless venture, with nothing to gain, then I woundn't bother.

Calling them successful is news to me. Don't tell me you...... never mind. There is no new news on bf and more than likely never will be.

So it's not news to you.

If you're interested in the subject, get out there and look for yourself. If you feel it would be a fruitless venture, with nothing to gain, then I woundn't bother.

There are many other reasons to go camping and hiking in forests. There is lots of incredible wildlife and beautiful scenery out there. You probably won't see Bigfoot but you won't be disappointed.

People believe in Bigfoot for the same reason they believe in aliens and ghosts. They want to think that there are still things out there that elude us. It's exciting and makes life less boring. Even I find the subjects fascinating and exciting, but in the end, I know its nonsense.

• Like 1

So it's not news to you.

No, it's news to me they were successful.

There are many other reasons to go camping and hiking in forests. There is lots of incredible wildlife and beautiful scenery out there. You probably won't see Bigfoot but you won't be disappointed.

And I couldn't agree with you more on that.

People believe in BIgfoot because their is a great deal of anecdotal evidence for it's existence. Just like most supernatural creatures their is always someone somewhere who claims to see it. And as long as that is true people will always believe

At any given time, there are always believers in various stages of belief.

A newbie who may eventually become a nonbeliever isn't necessarily born one.

If he has never looked into the subject, and wonders "What if? He may eventually conclude he is not a believer.

So, again, at any given time you will have believers or "wonderers" in various stages of belief.

You cannot stop those stages from continuously/simultaneously happening. Even if raised with a sound knowledge of science and critical thinking skills, I could still ask "What if?" and remain in that stage until I investigated and concluded "the creature does not exist"

Or, I could begin as a zealous believer (sighting, evidence etc) and only after a long while at that stage change my opinion.

I don't think you can ever stop the stages and that is what gathering knowledge and critical thinking skills is all about, imo.

Meaning, I personally must go through a process using the tools (knowledge, critical thinking) I have and develop along the way to reach a [final] conclusion about anything from the best tooth brush to the existence of sasquatch...

Edited by QuiteContrary