Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Flying Rods' discovered

Big Bad Voodoo

I dont know what are these tiny UFOs. Are they ET origin or what. I didnt know where to put this. Either in Modern Mysteries , Natural world..but because they are UFO I choose here.

Called, among others, "flying rods", "skyfish" and "solar entities", these creatures are invisible to the naked eye and can only be noticed on slow motion camera and resemble a flying centipede.

"We were surprised at what we found when reviewing the video," said Matthew, who was aware of the existence of "flying rods" in the Internet and having seen documentaries done on the subject in TV's "Monster Quest" series.

"We did not know they were there until we reviewed the video footage.

"We don't even know if they were an insect specie or creature of some sort that holds an element of intelligence that interacts with other entities or animal species," Matthew said.

"I have one footage of a group of them together and you can see them turning at extreme speed. They even chased a bat away.

No one has got footage of this. It's never been seen before.

This bat was minding its own business until these rods appeared like it was terrified of them.

"Also, previous footages also using high speed cameras captured them in sparse environments.

But our Sabah recordings show for the first time that these creatures have very powerful sensors that prevent them from smashing into the walls of the caves like making U-turns at the last moment.

Insects can't do this," he said.

"The way they move is nothing like we know in the animal or insect kingdom or even aircraft in terms of speed. It's the fastest thing you have ever seen and can turn on a dine.

"Upon examining a blown up frame of their body, one can notice it has seven segments and look like they have wings, which is why they are called rods."

http://www.dailyexpr...fm?NewsID=83734 :blink:

Edited by the L

They are flying insects. It was debunked ages ago. :tu:

• Like 9

What kind of illusion can terrified bats? So they see them too?

Or insects? I thought that bats eat them not otherway around.

Edited by the L

Old news. It is the shutter speed of the camera.

• Like 2

Rods are not new

Pesky bugs

800px-Moths_attracted_by_floodlight.jpg

Just bugs, L. Just bugs.

That's very confusing because they look like caterpillars.

Tbh that's the first time I've heard moths being mentioned.

I always thought the universal theory was flies so it's news to me.

However there's no way these are alien spacecraft.

And if it was an undiscovered lifeform where is it going to rest?

I don't think clouds are very solid platforms for anything organic.

That's very confusing because they look like caterpillars.

Tbh that's the first time I've heard moths being mentioned.

I always thought the universal theory was flies so it's news to me.

However there's no way these are alien spacecraft.

And if it was an undiscovered lifeform where is it going to rest?

I don't think clouds are very solid platforms for anything organic.

It all has to do with the shutter speed on the camera being used. "Rods" have been conclusively shown to be bugs and birds of all kinds.

Watch the video that Rlyeh posted belong my other post.

Can you developed that?

You cannot be serious. The information not only on how Rods are produced, but how to make your own abound across the net. This has been known for a very long time, I find it hard to believe that you would seriously be asking the questions that you have. This has to be some sort of joke thread right? It is December, not April.

On August 8/9, 2005, China Central Television (CCTV) aired a two-part documentary about flying rods in China. It reported the events from May to June of the same year at Tonghua Zhenguo Pharmaceutical Company inTonghua City, Jilin Province, which debunked the flying rods. Surveillance cameras in the facility's compound captured video footage of flying rods identical to those shown in Jose Escamilla's video. Getting no satisfactory answer to the phenomenon, curious scientists at the facility decided that they would try to solve the mystery by attempting to catch these airborne creatures. Huge nets were set up and the same surveillance cameras then captured images of rods flying into the trap. When the nets were inspected, the "rods" were no more than regular moths and other ordinary flying insects. Subsequent investigations proved that the appearance of flying rods on video was an optical illusion created by the slower recording speed of the camera

LINK and link to Original Article on study

rod is an insect caught in the act of flying by a video camera. Some

hoaxers or very imaginative people have been maintaining that rods are actually some sort of unknown life form of alien origin. But, according to Doug Yanega of the Entomology Department at the University of California at Riverside and a member of the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board, rods are

a videographic artifact based on the frame capture rate of the videocam versus the wingbeat frequency of the insects. Essentially what you see is several wingbeat cycles of the insect on each frame of the video, creating the illusion of a "rod" with bulges along its length. The blurred body of the insect as it moves forward forms the "rod," and the oscillation of the wings up and down form the bulges. Anyone with a video camera can duplicate the effect, if you shoot enough footage of flying insects from the right distance.

Rods seem to be a favorite topic of

UFO and cryptozoology buffs. One of the more outspoken defenders of rods as aliens is Jose Escamilla, host of the RoswellRods.com web site. Jose has even brought his story and films to The Learning Channel. Some hilarious photographs of "rods" have been posted on the Internet at the Escamilla site. My favorite is "the swallow chases a rod" which looks just like a bird going after an insect.

LINK

But you've got to give credit to Jose Escamilla of Roswell, New Mexico, who seems to have worked out a whole new angle in the crowded field of paranormal claims. They're called “Roswell Rods," and they allegedly zip through the air, never seeming to stop or slow down. Supposedly first discovered at Roswell, the Rods have now been seen almost everywhere that anyone has bothered to look for them. Seldom seen visually, the best way to spot them is to take a video or movie camera and point it at the sky. Sooner or later some little dark spot will be seen to zip across at high angular velocity, and when it does you will have a Rod sighting.

LINK

Dear Straight Dope:

Not too long ago, there was a wave of sightings of "rods", things that look like bizarre insects flying too fast to be seen but captured on videotape. Has there been any explanation for these things? Are they real, a videography artifact, or a hoax?

— Brad

This one should get put up front somewhere, with big flashing headers. This "rods" nonsense is one of the biggest scams in recent history, and needs SERIOUS debunking.

They ARE insects--perfectly ordinary insects. As you correctly observe, they are a videographic artifact based on the frame capture rate of the videocam versus the wingbeat frequency of the insects. Essentially what you see is several wingbeat cycles of the insect on each frame of the video, creating the illusion of a "rod" with bulges along its length. The blurred body of the insect as it moves forward forms the "rod," and the oscillation of the wings up and down form the bulges. Anyone with a video camera can duplicate the effect, if you shoot enough footage of flying insects from the right distance.

LINK

A real UM here is how could you possibly be unaware of the above? I ask again. Is this a joke thread?

• Like 3

oh my gawd guess what?! EXAGGERATIONS, HOAXES, AND LIES FOR MEDIA ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like when romney's supporters put a false article about obama punching out romney to get more electoral votes. u just have to use logic "the L" Edited by csspwns

Are you an expert in bats to be able to tell when a bat is terrified? Perhaps the sporadic flying patterns of the bats is more in line with them chasing the bugs that they do in fact see using their echo-location. Have to be faster/craftier than the object you are chasing in order to catch it.

• Like 1

I agree with psyche on this - OP cant be serious. Even my 7 year old (who loves the paranormal stuff) know about "rods"/buggs.

• Like 1

Hello Wall.. do you mind if I use you.. I have dented my desk to much from bashing my head on it over posts like these.. you might stand up better to the pounding..

I'm enjoying this moth theory more and more..

It's their non-transparent wings that are persuasive.

And I totally get the idea that birds get picked up in this fashion.

They could even be butterflies but not beetles.

Because the ones that fly tend to stay low to the ground.

And I've totally ruled out all other insects because of the state of their wings.

You can't make them out whatever shutter speed you use.

It all has to do with the shutter speed on the camera being used. "Rods" have been conclusively shown to be bugs and birds of all kinds.

Watch the video that Rlyeh posted belong my other post.

Why. Because you havent seen one. Theres lots of hoaxes out there on these but theres alot of witnesses of these rods.

Why. Because you havent seen one. Theres lots of hoaxes out there on these but theres alot of witnesses of these rods.

How many witnesses?

The entire phenomena only occured on film which is explained by the camera speed.

If your saying the OP. Yeah. But rods are not limited to that. Go read your Irish folklore if you want to hear stories about such things. Talk to a crankster. Theyll surely tell you theres rods out there. Just saying.