Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What kind of secrets the sea have?

gionell

I think the sea's way to big to be able to say that the things we see as "monsters" don't exist. The sea's a big place, and most modern day monsters come from legends that started way back in the day that were also based on experiences. The sea has many. I think it's completely plausible to believe that there's alot out there.

Just curious, have you people seen this video?

It's a video showing some strange underwater creature. I have no idea what it is and I don't believe it's been faked. It's something like this that can be discovered in the ocean.

Anyways, what do you guys think about it?

Ah, I did not know it was explained. Thanks for showing me.

What an interesting looking creature though.

I agree, but you cannot rule out the possibility that large creatures, unknown to science, dwell the abyss.

Yes you can. When you actually take the trouble to devote yourself to understanding science and how biological animals live, breed, feed, and die you start to realize that for a giant sea creature to be a reality it would have to be breaking most of the rules that other animals follow. Possible, but highly, highly unlikely. Nature tends to follow what is likely for a situation. Giant sea creatures have to eat - they would be making a measurable impact on the food chain. They also die eventually and would leave remains somewhere at some point. In addition for them to exist there would have to be more than just a few, otherwise they can't breed. Eventually one of them would leave some evidence of its existence. This has not happened. Just because we haven't seen every inch of ocean doesn't mean that we don't have a good solid idea of how it all works together. A giant sea beast just doesn't fit.

• Like 1

I'll tell you what the sea has: isopods... GIANT ISOPODS!

isopod_4501.jpg

Dare you to call that thing a doodle bug to it's face.

• Like 1

I'd have one of them buggers as a pet if I could! But I can't, so I won't :(

• Like 2

I'll tell you what the sea has: isopods... GIANT ISOPODS!

isopod_4501.jpg

Dare you to call that thing a doodle bug to it's face.

Ken we eats it? Does it tassssste nice?

• Like 2

Wouldn't mind having one as a pet either. Or to try it boiled with some drawn butter. I'm good with either.

Wonder if it'd be like crab? Probably not. Has anyone ever eaten slaters before, could maybe give a critique?

I personally always wanted a pet squid. Always thought they looked cute.

lula.jpg

Aw. :blush:

I have played with this proposition before and I came to the conclusion that possibly anything could be in the ocean. Especially when you travel miles underneath the surface. I am also looking into studying Marine Biology just so I can get a glimpse of one of those amazing creatures.

I have played with this proposition before and I came to the conclusion that possibly anything could be in the ocean. Especially when you travel miles underneath the surface. I am also looking into studying Marine Biology just so I can get a glimpse of one of those amazing creatures.

Once you get around to actually studying marine biology you will begin to understand that science has a pretty good bead on what it takes for animals to survive at great depths. They are generally small, blind, and strange looking due to the challenges of living in a frigid, lightless environment. Large ocean-going creatures live near the surface, because the abundance of life at the surface is better suited to support the caloric intake requirements of a large animal. The likelihood, therefore of there being some sort of monstrous, unknown megafauna living in the deepest depths of the ocean is astronomically unlikely.

Actually learning about science is the best way to understand it. If there were gigantic, unknown species traversing the ocean we would know about them, for the reasons that I and others in this thread have already explained. Just because its dark at the bottom doesn't mean anything can live there.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the above, if you look at vido and pics of the deepeset parts of the ocean its pretty lifeless, a monster of the deep could not live down there without having to make the surface its hunting ground. So we would see them more often I would think.

Same theory as lockness monster and the amount of fish stock there is avalible in the ness and what it would need to live are 2 diffrent figures. Im not saying its 100% impossible but its not probable.

There are monsters in the ocean that we KNOW OF but thats due to the fact they live and hunt close to the surface, so if you apply the same rules, we should know of other monsters in the ocean. Make no mistake the ocean still holds a great many secrets yet to be discovered, and Im guessing 100's of new species but Im not sure if any of them would be ship sinking monsters.

My 2c.

The seas are basicly unexploreed. We know more about the moon and Mars than to do our seas. I am sure that there are creatures we don't know about or have seen.

The seas are basicly unexploreed. We know more about the moon and Mars than to do our seas. I am sure that there are creatures we don't know about or have seen.

Bul-$hit. We know a great deal about our oceans. The above statement is an oft repeated fallacy by people who have little or no actual knowledge of marine biology or science in general. You are wrong.

Edited by orangepeaceful79
  • Like 1

I do not dismiss anything, but I'm also believing we should be open for everything. Just imagine, what if, by means of evolution, larger animals have adapted to the pressure of the deepsea, and for example just like the vampire squid, can live on the remains of other organisms which are plenty lying down on the ocean's bottom.I'm not implying there is a animal like this, but just imagine what if. It has been proven last year some times that at least parts of theories were labelled invalid due to discoveries on different organisms, like the jellyfish which has a reversed life-cycle. Especially in topics like these scientific results are not always able to explain and define what we haven't seen yet.

I keep hearing the tried and true old chestnut "we know more about space than we do about the bottom of the oceans". Would anyone care to substantiate this claim? Would someone like to please cite an objective source on this one? Sounds like fringe glurge to me. I call bull-$hit until somebody can cite a scientist who is either an expert on astronomy and marine biology, or a group of scientists from these same disciplines stating that we in fact know more about space than we do about the deep sea.

So go - find it. I'll bet nobody can.

The sea holds pretty much the other 78% of the secrets this world has because allot of lands that were caped with many things that would shock us today are flooded and have vast amounts of water covering it.

Some books or comics (if you read them I guess)

Say of an other worldy rift in the sea and believe me if you go deep enough you'll find some fish we know well but still look like its from a world other than our own different universes,alternate realities who knows

I wouldn't be surprised if there were something like a megalodon lurking in the depths somewhere . They are supposed to be extinct , But there was some shark that got caught in either Japan or china that was thought o have gone extinct at least two million years ago . So who knows really