Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY paper publishes gun owner info

F3SS

Hypocrites, idiots, no one even made a threat

NEWSPAPER THAT PUBLISHED THE NAMES & ADDRESSES OF GUN OWNERS HIRES ARMED GUARDS

Shocker.

Here's another shocker...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ex-burglars-confirm-that-newspapers-gun-owner-map-is-like-gold-for-crooks-exceptionally-stupid/

EX-BURGLARS CONFIRM THAT NEWSPAPER’S GUN OWNER MAP IS ‘LIKE GOLD’ FOR CROOKS: ‘EXCEPTIONALLY STUPID’

“That was the most asinine article I’ve ever seen,” former burglar and jewel thief Walter T. Shaw said. “Having a list of who has a gun is like gold – why rob that house when you can hit the one next door, where there are no guns?”

The FBI reportedly blames Shaw, 65, for more than 3,000 break-ins that netted some $70 million in the 1960s and 1970s. In other words, his credentials as a thief are legitimate.

“What they did was insanity,” Shaw added.

• Like 3

I'm still trying to figure out 'Fess if you're just trolling or don't understand. Why do you and others think this is so shocking that they would hire armed guards? Gun control does not mean prohibition. In fact there were 8 bills introduced today that make a lot of sense. As for thieves, there is a lot more into their supposed "selection" of a "target" than guns. That's a red herring.

• Like 1

who's comming for guns? Repealing the 2nd amendment or even stricter gun control doesn't mean they are "comming for the guns".

Nice try but we both know that if the opportunity presents itself they'd take the guns in a heartbeat. But when they try, there will be blood - to quote a union boss from recent news.... I think that adults who would casually give away the right to bear arms are simple minded - almost child like. But they will grow up FAST when the bullets start flying.
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out 'Fess if you're just trolling or don't understand. Why do you and others think this is so shocking that they would hire armed guards? Gun control does not mean prohibition. In fact there were 8 bills introduced today that make a lot of sense. As for thieves, there is a lot more into their supposed "selection" of a "target" than guns. That's a red herring.

Alright Dude, 'shocker' wasnt my term. It was a play on the sarcasm from the post above mine and I'm hardly trolling. I'm posting relevant and agreeable articles about the op. Shocking? No. Liberal irony/hypocriticalism? Yes. Why is it ok for them to have armed protection but not 'everyone else'? Hell, no one even threatened them. 8 more bills huh? I bet that'll deter the next crazy b******. Sure guns or the lack thereof aren't the only prerequisite on a thieves list of targets but it's a hell of good piece of knowledge. All this paper has done is endanger gun owners neighbors and demonized law abiding citizens.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

Here's a lawsuit for you ninja. Plagiarism...

FORMER NYC MAYORAL CANDIDATE ACTUALLY COMPARES GUN OWNERS TO CONVICTED SEX OFFENDERS

Appearing on MSNBC’s “Hardball” on Thursday, former New York City mayoral candidate and author Mark Green advocated for new legislation that would allow people to identify and locate gun owners who lived in their neighborhoods. He compared it to the already existing “Megan’s Law,” which lets citizens know if a convicted sex offender lives near them.

Then he flat-out compared sex offenders to gun owners.

“If we have a Megan’s Law — because I think almost everyone might agree — that if you’re a convicted child molester, a neighbor might want to know that because they’re in your home, safe, but maybe they could hurt someone else,” Green said, adding “Same thing with guns.”

Continued... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/former-nyc-mayoral-candidate-actually-compares-convicted-sex-offenders-to-gun-owners/

I say the logic is flawed. How about you have a neighbor who hears or notices something wrong in your house while your kids are knowingly home alone. He grabs his gun and enters your home to find your kids being violated by some sexual predator and shoots the m-effer or ends the assault because he has a gun. You'd say he should call the police which would give the predator precious minutes to continue the violation. I'd say thank god for that gun toting neighbor. Yea, it's all hypothetical but entirely possible and odds are tat very situation has happened before.

It was a violation of an individuals right to privacy to print this article. Even if it was "public" information publishing it crossed a line.

There is an epidemic of idiocy going on. Another paper ups the anty on ousting law abiding gun owners. I think they're trying to incite violence for a big 'I told you so'. They're agitating big time. I believe the real purpose is to get someone to snap all while acting innocent hiding behind the FoIA gasping with fake surprise when they receive threats. It's already public info they cry. What's the big deal they ask? The big deal is your presentation and intent, numbnuts. But you know that already.

Aren't these Alinsky tactics? Who knows if the threats are real or who they came from but I wouldn't doubt some threats, if real, are coming from other lefties. I'm sure I don't have to explain the purpose.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gawker-publishes-complete-446-page-list-of-all-the-aholes-who-own-guns-in-new-york-city/

GAWKER PUBLISHES COMPLETE 446-PAGE LIST OF ‘ALL THE A**HOLES WHO OWN GUNS IN NEW YORK CITY’

The website Gawker has outdone New York’s “Journal News” and published the names of all licensed gun owners in New York City. With the provocative headline, “Here Is a List of All the A**holes Who Own Guns in New York City,” John Cook provides a 446-page list of every licensed gun owner in NYC, obtained two-and-a-half years ago via a Freedom of Information Act request.

“Below is a 446-page list of every licensed gun owner in New York City…Because the NYPD is more interested in raping and/or eating ladies and spying on Muslims than it is in honoring public records law, the list contains only the names, and not the addresses, of the licensees,” Cook writes.

(Scroll down for updates to this story)

The Journal News sparked outrage when it published the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland Counties. The paper wanted to also publish the information of gun owners in Putnam County, N.Y., but so far the county has refused, saying providing the information would put the public in danger.

As Cook correctly points out, section 400.00 of the Penal Law of New York, entitled “Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms,” makes addresses of licensed gun owners public information. “The name and address of any person to whom an application for any license has been granted shall be a public record,” the law states.

Critics argue, however, just because information is publicly available, that doesn’t mean it should be published online and in newspapers for criminals and others to see. In other states, like Texas, the personal information of concealed weapons license holders is considered confidential.

In his post, Cook also brags about outing Fox News chief Roger Ailes, Sean Hannity, Howard Stern, Don Imus, Donald Trump and others as gun owners with permits to own or carry firearms in the city in 2010.

Because New York pistol owners must register with their local police department and the state, the names of 1.2 million New York handgun owners and the addresses of 300,000 of them have been available online for more than two years. Because of this, gun owners in New York should not be upset about the Journal News or other outlets like Gawker publicizing their personal information, according to Cook.

“In any case, it’s clear that many of the Rockland County and Westchester County gun owners who are outraged at having their addresses plastered on the internet have had those addresses plastered on the internet for years without it causing a problem. And if anyone wanted to really stir some **** up, they’d grab those Who’s Packing databases and throw them up on Google Maps,” Cook writes.

While the names and addresses of gun owners are considered public information in New York, the media, even websites like Gawker, still have a responsibility to exercise smart editorial judgment and carefully consider the consequences of all of its decisions.

Ex-burglars and thieves recently told Fox News that a database of gun owners is like “gold” for criminals, letting them know which houses are easy targets and which ones have guns to steal. Frank Abignale, the famous former thief portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio in “Catch Me if You Can,” called the Journal News’ decision to publish gun owners’ information “reprehensible.” Another ex-burglar said the newspaper was “exceptionally stupid” in its actions.

“And for the record,” Cook concluded. “[The gun owners] are not all a**holes. Some of them need guns for legitimate reasons for their jobs, like providing security for a**holes.”

TheBlaze is not providing the 446-page list of all New York City licensed gun owners.

UPDATE: Gawker quickly changed its headline, striking through the word “a**holes” and mockingly replacing it with “handsome law-abiding citizens.”

Update II: Gawker is now reporting death threats directed at the website over its decision to publish the names of all licensed gun owners in New York City.

About an hour-and-a-half after they published the story, someone apparently called Gawker’s headquarters and said “you’re ****in dead.” Gawker reports it is “fair to assume this was related to the gun post.”

Another Gawker employee claims to have received a phone call after the story went live, telling her to “look both ways when you leave the building” and “all of you better look both ways because you’re going to get shot.” The same caller also reportedly said “every girl better have a boyfriend because you need someone to protect you.”

Gawker has contacted the police over the threats.

“These violent threats come as reaction to us publishing information that was already publicly available,” the website writes.

• Like 1

How about you have a neighbor who hears or notices something wrong in your house while your kids are knowingly home alone. He grabs his gun and enters your home to find your kids being violated by some sexual predator and shoots the m-effer or ends the assault because he has a gun. You'd say he should call the police which would give the predator precious minutes to continue the violation. I'd say thank god for that gun toting neighbor. Yea, it's all hypothetical but entirely possible and odds are tat very situation has happened before.

I've gone into a neighbors home after she came to me for help after finding her front door ajar. Grabbed my PX4 Storm and searched her house for her. Luckily, no one was in there.

Edited by Sweetpumper
  • Like 1

I've gone into a neighbors home after she came to me for help after finding here front door ajar. Grabbed my PX4 Storm and searched her house for her. Luckily, no one was in there.

That's awesome. And you prove my point...

who's comming for guns? Repealing the 2nd amendment or even stricter gun control doesn't mean they are "comming for the guns".

de nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

politicians openly say it, they want to take guns away, and not just 1 politician. it was posted few times in antigun threads, go back and read it.

It says the investigation is ongoing but they went straight and only for the guns. Some bodies going to end up dead sooner or later, good guy or bad. This newspaper is going to have blood on its hands at some point so a big congratulations to them and those who support their decision to create such a list. When it happens I hope you feel good about yourselves.

In any case, this could have resulted in a couple of idiots with illegal guns. But they didn't because guess why? Gasp, a random gun owner was singled out and it turns out he was responsible. Kind of defies the odds doesn't it? All I keep hearing from the anti's is how so many gun owners are crazy, mentally disordered irresponsible idiots. Eat it schmucks.

HOUSE IDENTIFIED ON NY PAPER’S ‘GUN MAP’ BURGLARIZED — AND THE ROBBERS WENT STRAIGHT FOR THE GUNS

New York’s Westchester/Rockland Newsday has noteworthy details on the break-in (all subsequent emphasis added):

A White Plains residence pinpointed on a controversial handgun permit database was burglarized Saturday, and the burglars’ target was the homeowner’s gun safe.

At least two burglars broke into a home on Davis Avenue at 9:30 p.m. Saturday but were unsuccessful in an attempt to open the safe, which contained legally owned weapons, according to a law enforcement source. One suspect was taken into custody, the source said.

The gun owner was not home when the burglary occurred, the source said. The victim, who is in his 70s, told Newsday on Sunday that he did not want to comment while the police investigation continues.

[...]

Neighbor John Mascia said he thought the gun permit database should not have been published.

“I could [not] care less what they have in their home,” Mascia said.

Police are investigating what role, if any, the database played in the burglars’ decision to target the home, the law enforcement source said.

Continued... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/13/house-identified-on-ny-papers-gun-map-burglarized-and-the-robbers-went-straight-for-the-guns/

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

the page is down, i wanted to see my name on the list,

actually we don't need gun regestration, just assume that every single person in usa is aremed, that would be a lot easier.

• Like 1

Well, this ended somewhat positively. Once again, liberalism has generated the exact opposite of its stated intent. Happens every time fools. I'll recap below.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/18/new-york-newspaper-removes-controversial-gun-map-amid-public-outcry/

NEW YORK NEWSPAPER REMOVES CONTROVERSIAL ‘GUN MAP’ DATA AMID PUBLIC OUTCRY

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (TheBlaze/AP) – A suburban New York City newspaper has removed the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits from its website.

Publication of the permit data following last month’s school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. produced a storm of outrage from gun owners. It also quickly resulted in a new state measure meant to protect permit holders’ privacy.

The president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group announced the move Friday. Janet Hasson said the new law does not require removing the data, but “doing so complies with its spirit.”

The Journal News had published interactive maps on its LoHud.com site pinpointing thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland County. The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.

As of Friday, two homes listed on the “gun map” had been burglarized, including one instance where crooks stole two guns. In the other burglary attempt, the robbers reportedly went straight for the homeowner’s guns.

Intent #1: Drum up support for this action, start a new trend, become a hero

Outcome #1: People became outraged.

Outcome #2: One other NY paper did something similar, people became outraged

Outcome # 3: Public outcry demands online map and personal info be removed though it's more likely lawsuits are piling up and this paper will soon be out of business

Intent #2: Paint gun owners as mentally ill potential criminals

Outcome: Inspired criminals. Innocent law abiding gun owners were burglarized

Intent # 3: Inspire people to hate guns more and liken gun ownership to being on a list like a sex offender therefore reduce desire to own one.

Outcome: Guns and ammo sales are soaring and likely at an all time high. Support for the second amendment has never felt so prevalent. This outcome pertains not only to this paper, they aren't relevant enough for many people to care, but to the Obama administration and all those outspoken in the same manner.

You're all creating the exact opposite of your intent. More people are buying guns than ever. You should've never opened your big fat uninformed misinformed mouths. Way to go schmucks!

• Like 2

You're all creating the exact opposite of your intent. More people are buying guns than ever. You should've never opened your big fat uninformed misinformed mouths. Way to go schmucks!

I've got a friend who works for a sporting goods store and gun shipments arrive on Wednesday mornings. He said there were three hundred people lined up to get guns off the truck! They'd trade paperwork and give them guns off the trailer to take to the cashier! I love it.

• Like 1

The paper has now pulled down the list from their website because it has become obvious that criminals were using it to target gun owners, retired police, prison guards, etc.

For those who say this wasn't a big deal, well, it was such a big deal that the New York SAFE law recently passed and signed by the Governor recognized that such a public listing was a problem and protected gun owner lists from FOI requests. One of the few good things in that law.

• Like 3

Yes, they are complete morons and some here thought it was a remarkably good idea.

• Like 1

so you're afraid that it would be easy for the general public to find out that you own devices whose only use is to kill other humans?

so you're afraid that it would be easy for the general public to find out that you own devices whose only use is to kill other humans?

A narrow minded response in my opinion... tells me you have never been faced with a true choice of living or dying, protecting yourself and your family or laying in a pool of your own blood. Bad guys love it when their victim is defenseless. This situation was wrought with Privacy and Security issues and that fact was made more than apparent by the issues that stinted from the webpage. Theres a reason it was taken down....

• Like 3

How about you give us your real name and address? Like the people listed, you haven't done anything to warrant such actions but I think your views and political ideals are a danger and a menace to this country and so do millions of other people so I think it's only fair that you put up or shut up. What are you afraid of? Getting robbed, harrased, being put in danger? This has proven to be a horrible idea, you know it. People got robbed and nobody substantial supported this idiocy and you know it. I listed everything you thought would happen and the exact opposite came true. So you know what? Don't shut up. Every time you spew your vile views you inspire someone to buy another gun. Your a damn Remington mascot at this point. They love you.

• Like 1

It's more so people are angry that they had their information, addresses, and names released for simply choosing to exercise a right - all this information being released against their wills. They did not consent to their information being released and they have every right to be upset. It's not a matter if someone knows if someone owns a gun at a certain location - it is none of their damn business if you exercise the right to own a gun. I don't ask for anyone's permission to share my political opinions. Why should it be someone else's business if I own a gun?

This is a step too far, releasing private information about gun owners without the consent of the owners themselves. Tramping all over my constitution that my forefathers have fought so hard for.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 2

This was a quick jab at Legal Gun Owners, directly at them to basically send an message by a liberal media.

• Like 1

Got those 2 points sighted right Uncle Sam