Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY paper publishes gun owner info

F3SS

it isn't the ppl that owned guns should be afraid of that list, but those that do not, the list pretty much a map where not to go.

True Aztek as I frat thought too, but the 2 homes robbed were robbed or their guns. The list gives incentive in many ways.

True Aztek as I frat thought too, but the 2 homes robbed were robbed or their guns. The list gives incentive in many ways.

already? where? a link?

already? where? a link?

Posts 87&89. Click the link and the sources are hyperlinked within. C'mon man.

A narrow minded response in my opinion... tells me you have never been faced with a true choice of living or dying, protecting yourself and your family or laying in a pool of your own blood.

All true. And one I hope to continue to avoid by advocating gun control.

This is a step too far, releasing private information about gun owners without the consent of the owners themselves. Tramping all over my constitution that my forefathers have fought so hard for.

no it's not private. It's in fact, public information, just posted in a different form. Your outrage is misplaced.

How about you give us your real name and address? Like the people listed, you haven't done anything to warrant such actions

I don't own a gun. So my name and address are not publicly available to anyone like this gun ownership info was already. It was merely posted in a different manner. You do realize that your name and address are most likely already publicly available on the internet, right? In this case, the gun ownership information was published by law. Available to anyone. There are many types of information published by governments - businesses, bankruptcies, gun owners, marriages, deaths, etc.

Edited by ninjadude

no it's not private. It's in fact, public information, just posted in a different form. Your outrage is misplaced.

I don't own a gun. So my name and address are not publicly available to anyone like this gun ownership info was already. It was merely posted in a different manner. You do realize that your name and address are most likely already publicly available on the internet, right? In this case, the gun ownership information was published by law. Available to anyone. There are many types of information published by governments - businesses, bankruptcies, gun owners, marriages, deaths, etc.

Oh yea, I realize it. Remember phone books? I guess they may still be around but people info was listed there too. But there is a HUGE difference between public information being available and public information being misused. So you wouldn't be upset if a billboard, internet map or full page ad full of you and your info that is for nothing more than to make you look like an A-hole? By your logic, you shouldn't be because it's already public. I know you get it though. I just feel compelled to oppose your pov incase your actually influencing anything else. Edited by -Mr_Fess-

my cell phone is not listed in any phonebook.

• Like 1

. But there is a HUGE difference between public information being available and public information being misused.

"misused", gracie? public information can be used any way someone likes. That's why it's public. And there is a lot of data that is being used in new and interesting ways. This is one of those.

my cell phone is not listed in any phonebook.

funny you can buy a cell phone and yes it is on record but is a phone as deadly as a gun :gun: could be to be honest

Edited by The Silver Thong

"misused", gracie? public information can be used any way someone likes. That's why it's public. And there is a lot of data that is being used in new and interesting ways. This is one of those.

So you have no problem having a Serial Killer taking that information, using it to target houses without any defenses or protection? He or she knows she has a better chance of killing when they won't put a defense. You also have no problem with a serial rapist breaking into the house, raping the innocent victims because they have no way to protect themselves? What about thieves and criminals who will break in to the houses, steal everything because the family has no way to defend themselves? You really don't understand the point of why we are demanding this to be taken down... it is not about the gun owners themselves, it is about those who don't have anyway to protect themselves. They will be targeted because those type of people will use them. So out of ignorance, you are basically giving those type of people a go ahead on killing these innocent civilians because you are so damn blinded by hatred towards legal gun owners. Grow up or try to understand the world isn't so damn black and white. Better yet, think before you speak.

The Liberal Media basically just gave a map to those type of people. Like one certified thief said, that is basically like an jackpot for them. They don't have to do the work, they don't have to do any research into their targets, because it is already there for them all too see. Us gun owners actually bought guns to protect our family and ourselves, that extends to others in our community. So demonizing us is basically saying we are selfish for wanting to keep our guns... that is not true by a long shot. If the world wasn't so dangerous, there would be no need for a gun. But today is more dangerous than it was back in the 1950's, we need the guns more than ever when criminals are becoming more dangerous by the day.

Edited by Uncle Sam

Oh well welcome to the future. How interesting. Fact is you just want innocent people to get hurt to further your cause. You don't care about children or defenseless old people. Nothing stands in the way of your agenda. Does it mean nothing that HOMES WERE TARGETED BECAUSE OF THIS LISTING? And they went straight for the guns. Almost Putting guns into the wrong hands. To your dismay, the randomly picked from a map houses contained responsible gun owners.

You're a goddamn agitator is all you are. If anyone else gets hurt because if the stupid list that only you and the publisher liked the guilt of rape, murder or kidnapping lies on your shoulders but that ok because to you they are just Casualties of your war on the constitution.

I have nothing more to say to you without breaking forum rules. Later Nancydude.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

funny you can buy a cell phone and yes it is on record

but is a phone as deadly as a gun

:gun: could be to be honest

if you are driving while talking on it, then yes it can be :D

Fact is you just want innocent people to get hurt to further your cause.

You just learn to ignore ninja after a while... he rarely makes sense and when he does, what he says if often downright disturbing. :unsure2:

Edited by Bavarian Raven
  • Like 1

So you have no problem having a Serial Killer taking that information, using it to target houses without any defenses or protection? He or she knows she has a better chance of killing when they won't put a defense. You also have no problem with a serial rapist breaking into the house, raping the innocent victims because they have no way to protect themselves? What about thieves and criminals who will break in to the houses, steal everything because the family has no way to defend themselves?

You really do live in an alternative universe. This is a prime example of social paranoia.

Fact is you just want innocent people to get hurt to further your cause. You don't care about children or defenseless old people. You're a goddamn agitator is all you are. If anyone else gets hurt because if the stupid list that only you and the publisher liked the guilt of rape, murder or kidnapping lies on your shoulders but that ok because to you they are just Casualties of your war on the constitution.

you did break forum rules. And another example of social paranoia.

You just learn to ignore ninja after a while... he rarely makes sense and when he does, what he says if often downright disturbing. :unsure2:

I know I know. But it's like smoking. A bad habit that's hard to break. As you can see below.

You really do live in an alternative universe. This is a prime example of social paranoia.

And so is your view on law abiding gun owners.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never intended on keeping this thread alive but I can't help but update it every time I see an update about it. It's even more irresponsible than I imagined. Never thought about this situation. Still think it's a good idea Ninja? To say this was poor judgment would be an understatement of hideously enormous proportions.

Newspaper Admits: Gun Map Was Filled With ‘Outdated’ and ‘Inaccurate’ Data

The New York newspaper that published interactive maps pinpointing the homes of residents with gun permits has admitted that the records they used included “outdated, inaccurate data.”

The Journal News removed the names and addresses of suburban New York City handgun permit holders from its website two weeks ago after a nearly month-long public outcry, but conceded this weekend that much of the information it published was incorrect to begin with.

“Nobody ever called and verified the address,” resident Mike Smith told the Journal News. Smith was one of many who contacted the newspaper after his home falsely appeared on the map. He determined that his brother-in-law once used his address to apply for a gun back in 1997, before moving out of state.

Of the nearly 17,000 permit holders published for Rockland County, fewer than 4,000 were considered “current,” according to the newspaper.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/30/newspaper-admits-gun-map-was-filled-with-outdated-and-inaccurate-data/

• Like 1

yes and I think they should have it nationwide. But you'll notice that the government had the incorrect data not the newspaper. Probably because of republican budget cuts.

Nice. Way to spin it. It's no secret the government doesn't always have it together but that news paper is responsible for taking it upon themselves to do such a thing without fact checking. Just think if that was your neighborhood where someone was targeting your homes previous tenants for robbery or possibly your neighbors who don't know your name yet think like you would liken you to a sex offender, mentally ill, an a-hole, avoid you, avoid your kids. You know, all the things you said you'd do.

More factless antagonistic drivel Ninjadude..

I quote you here

Yep I love to poke conservatives and Republicans. I didn't know I had a "reputation", or label a liar - where was that? Your last statement applies to you more than me. I usually always include facts and sources.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Iowa's biggest newspaper is under fire after publishing a map that showed which public school districts have police or security -- and which ones don't.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/28/newspaper-under-fire-for-publishing-interactive-map-iowa-school-lacking/

• Like 4

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Iowa's biggest newspaper is under fire after publishing a map that showed which public school districts have police or security -- and which ones don't.

http://www.foxnews.c...school-lacking/

What in the world possessed the newspaper to do this?? :no:

• Like 3

can I say WTF on these forums ?

• Like 3

WTF is the only thing to say! Seriously, wtf is wrong with them. This is 90 times worse than the topic of this thread. I don't think malice was the intent in this case but holy crap, wtf!

• Like 3

It was pulled after 24hrs. So no harm no foul right ?

• Like 1