Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 Surprising Facts About Christmas

Still Waters

When you gather around the Christmas tree or stuff goodies into a stocking, you're taking part in traditions that stretch back thousands of years — long before Christianity entered the mix.

http://www.livescien...y-paganism.html

:santa:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• Mr Walker

• Still Waters

• Sean93

Yes lets get Pagan back in Christmas. lol Didn't somebody post this?

• Like 1

Like easter, christmas is a part of the evolutionary progression of christianity via babylonian, and egyptian theologies, through the critical crucible of judaism, the time of christ, the council of nicacea, the evolution of catholicism over 2 milennia, the reformation, and 19th century revivals of fundamental biblicla principles, to the present day. Paganism is a small but critical aspect of its historical totality.

Paganism was integrated into christianity during its first great expansionary period of the roman empire, and hence remains embedded in it, particularly catholic christianity, to the present day. Some elements of paganism, such as women priests in celtic areas of the church, were lost in that catholic evolution of the first 500 years or so.

Edited by Mr Walker

Interesting facts....I have told my daughter about the Pagan holiday and explained to her about the Christmas tree a while back.... I never knew people opened presents on new years day...

Edited by Beckys_Mom