Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Down the Drain

Orcseeker

Everyday we wash so many different things down the drain. From our own bodies debris and waste to bleach and various types of soaps. The drain is one big chemical cocktail.

Reminiscent of the X-Files episode, "The Host", where, as a result of pouring radioactive substances down the drain, effectively creating a monster.

Now I'm not suggesting anything that impressive. But perhaps there are new species or life forms of microbes being created as a result of the huge amount and array of chemicals and debris we wash down our drains.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct forum for this topic but I'd like to hear what people think.

• Like 1

Sounds really interesting actually...could you imagine some of the the s**t down there though? Pun intended.

There must be some form of genetic mutations/ microbial mixing around that while not impressive, is still pretty cool. Who knows, there might be a cancer cure down there, or an AIDS vaccine.

• Like 1

I wouldnt say that chemicals would spontaneously create new species of lifeforms... more likely if it DOESN'T kill whatever is rummaging about in the drains/sewers i feel it would more mutate/disfigure them then give rise to new species... with mutatations that could possibly pass on to offspring depending on what type of mutation is taking place

Things have happened before but nothing out of the extraordinaire. Something already would of happened. Drains go back to ancient Rome. I see what you're saying, I guess it's wrong or it's disappearing.

So glad I have my own well. I can't stand the smell of some of that city water and it tastes funny.

Just wondering, why would a creature mutate/be created when coming in contact with chemicals and other such things? Never really understood that to be honest.

The Host, good episode of The X-Files, re watching the whole series at the moment.

As for your question, I'm not too sure. I've heard a lot of mutated fish are popping up all over the Gulf of Mexico after the oil spill. http://worldtruth.tv/the-horribly-mutated-seafood-in-the-gulf-of-mexico/

Like I needed anymore reasons than the Blob to be afraid to sit on the toilet...

I saw this video cover when I was a kid and that was enough to make me cautious every time I went. :D

tumblr_mb8se1CEp11qmkb3mo1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Our own demise by going to the bathroom... who would have thought.

I skimmed through the post wrong. Yeah that's true. There's been reports of strange creatures in sewers. It has nothing to do with chemicals or anything we flush.

Mutations can certainly happen by what goes down the drain. The things that would mutate, by damage caused to it's DNA I believe, the most would be bacteria since a 'beneficial' mutation could be rapidly passed on because of their reproduction rates. Look at MRSA, likely made by people not finishing their prescribed antibiotics OR the bacteria survived all of the antibacterial stuff out there. Frogs are found mutated in polluted areas and they are used as a measuring stick since they too reproduce in large numbers. If something is born mutated and it doesn't kill it off or make it sterile then it could pass the mutation along. Next thing you know, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.

• Like 2

Think of the poor guys who have to wade thru this muck when a blockage occurs..yeeeeuk ! I saw a guy going down a manhole and he was dressed like a spaceman.

• Like 2

Chemicals do not cause mutation in the way you are thinking.

the harsh conditions could cause a narrowing of the gene pool. Say some of the species "Organism A" have a mutation that causes them to be less susceptible to to the chemicals found in drains. This means those survive while others do not. This means this trait is passed on until it become normal. Now say this mutation also causes them to be a different colour (or a recessive gene passed on by the progenitor of the chemical resistance mutation also passes on this recessive gene/mutation) then it is more likely that "Organism A" found is sewers will also be displaying this recessive gene / mutation.

So basically an organism found in harsh conditions may be considered a mutant but its not because of the chemicals per se but natural selection and a narrowing of the gene pool...... and that doesn't happen over night.

Edited by Cynical Sounds
  • Like 2

I know the UK is considering a ban on washing your car on the roadside because of the pollution of the chemicals going down the storm drains. Car washes and detergents are becoming increasingly more advanced and contain a variety of exotic plant materials, carnauba wax being one which is extremely tolerant and very hard wearing.

Not sure if it could cause a mutation but could potentially poison the water supplies in years to come.

Chemicals do not cause mutation in the way you are thinking.

the harsh conditions could cause a narrowing of the gene pool. Say some of the species "Organism A" have a mutation that causes them to be less susceptible to to the chemicals found in drains. This means those survive while others do not. This means this trait is passed on until it become normal. Now say this mutation also causes them to be a different colour (or a recessive gene passed on by the progenitor of the chemical resistance mutation also passes on this recessive gene/mutation) then it is more likely that "Organism A" found is sewers will also be displaying this recessive gene / mutation.

So basically an organism found in harsh conditions may be considered a mutant but its not because of the chemicals per se but natural selection and a narrowing of the gene pool...... and that doesn't happen over night.

Chemicals do cause mutations, ask any Mother of a Thalidomide victim
  • Like 1

But isn't that actually Genetic damage, not mutation? If people poisoned with Thalidomide were mutates, they'd pass on their trait to their kids, and that has not happened. They were damaged while growing, not mutated.

• Like 1

But isn't that actually Genetic damage, not mutation? If people poisoned with Thalidomide were mutates, they'd pass on their trait to their kids, and that has not happened. They were damaged while growing, not mutated.

Genetic damage can be genetic mutation...there are actually quite a few kinds of genetic mutation ...not ALL genetic mutatations will be passed along to offspring.. not all genetic mutations have an effect on the individual... some will alter the product of a gene and some will prevent the gene from functioning properly or at all.

Isn't cancer just a genetic mutation gone out of control of the bodies systems?

I am not sure if it HAS to be a genetic mutation but it can be caused by genetic mutation... i do know that cancer is unregulated cell growth.. and that cancer has many different causes

Great and interesting replies so far.

Thanks for the explanation Cynical Sounds.

We have microbes in the soil of our backyards capable of breaking down the soaps contained in the grey water (soapy water). What I am saying is that we could be encouraging or even giving birth to new species capable of breaking down these chemical compounds and in turn could be extremely useful for waste management.

Also due to the fact about these creatures coming into contact with such chemicals frequently could cause some serious damage to them (also the constantly damp environment playing a part) and would require development of certain resistances.

What you are talking about is not this kind of mutation were talking about.

While thalidominde did damage to babies in the womb but there is no scientific evidence this deformity has not been passed a 2nd generation (according to Dick Smithells at least and I'm willing to take his word on it) So while chemicals cause injury and damage and even damage to DNA my point was passable genetic mutation is unlikely if not impossible or irrelevant to this thread.

Edited by Cynical Sounds