Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The internet is leaving children brain-dead

Still Waters

Let me tell you..the internet makes any research far easier than spending hours at the library then waiting days for ordered books to arrive.

Job searching is easier too.

I have to listen to my father moan about kids and their use of gadgets like the Android phones or the like.

At my age I really don't have a whole lot of use for them but just because I don't doesn't mean it is stupid and worthless.

After all people who didn't grow up with computers are often likely to down talk it as being worthless and a destroyer of society...this same lame excuse was used throughout history so one old fogey blubbering about the "internet" is pretty par the course and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Is this a class action lawsuit if so where do I sign up.

Let me tell you..the internet makes any research far easier than spending hours at the library then waiting days for ordered books to arrive.

Job searching is easier too.

I have to listen to my father moan about kids and their use of gadgets like the Android phones or the like.

At my age I really don't have a whole lot of use for them but just because I don't doesn't mean it is stupid and worthless.

After all people who didn't grow up with computers are often likely to down talk it as being worthless and a destroyer of society...this same lame excuse was used throughout history so one old fogey blubbering about the "internet" is pretty par the course and shouldn't be taken seriously.

But that is the whole point. "Research" now just consists of Wiki the Pedia and videos on Yotube. You see it time and time again here, people who smugly put up a video, and often don't even add any comment of their own, as if that provides definitive proof of whatever it is they want to argue. People don't know how to find out anything that isn't on Wiki Pedia, or even if it is, they take it as gospel and don't think it's necessary to confirm it anywhere else.

Edited by Lord Vetinari

And the point the "old fogey" was making, which everyone seems to overlook, is that people don't have any clue about how to do anything that isn't to do with the Inter Net or youtube or twitter. it's all very well people being able to make incredibly creative videos, but being able to make incredibly creative videos wouldn't always be an asset in every situation. really, it's just the same as the attitude that "oh, we can rely on everyone else to do everything for us" that everyone, including Governments, take now. We can make incredibly creative vodeos on yotube, and rely on China to provide us with everything we need.

Edited by Lord Vetinari

Homemade video and editing is a computer skill often done by home taught computer brain deads as the Topic Title would suggest. Saying theres more to it then saying video games are bad therefore computers must be bad...Its a lame argument. Computers are beneficial. Not to mention thats a inventive video. I gave it a thumbs up.

Don't forget that 99.9% of music is either created, produced, engineered or has a computer involved in one way or another now.

Maybe instead of putting the blame on the internet and just face a scary fact that some people are just born stupid, lazy, and brain dead. Instead of I don't know placing the blame on something that improves our quality of life by quite a bit. I mean if that old fogey can't even admit that much maybe he is just about as brain dead as the people he is complaining about

The oldest generation always seem to have hard time understanding the latest generation, so criticizing and complaining is what they fall back on because they simply don't understand it all. I'm pretty sure the oldest generation in his youth were doing the same thing, critizing his generation about a lot of the things his generation was doing, as well. Wondering why in the hell he was wasting his time, fiddling with junk, trying to invent new things. And despite what he thinks...some of today's young generations are doing something with there hands, in front of a computer. They're inventing electronic gadgetry and designing software. He may not understand all that, because it's a new frontier in technological development or he just doesn't understand the technology itself. So some of them are not becoming braindead, they're bringing us into a new technological age. And the internet is just one of the tools the latest generation uses to do this.

Anyway, if he dosen't understand that, then that's too bad for him. There is nothing more anybody can say or do for him.

The oldest generation always seem to have hard time understanding the latest generation, so criticizing and complaining is what they fall back on because they simply don't understand it all. I'm pretty sure the oldest generation in his youth were doing the same thing, critizing his generation about a lot of the things his generation was doing, as well. Wondering why in the hell he was wasting his time, fiddling with junk, trying to invent new things. And despite what he thinks...some of today's young generations are doing something with there hands, in front of a computer. They're inventing electronic gadgetry and designing software. He may not understand all that, because it's a new frontier in technological development or he just doesn't understand the technology itself. So some of them are not becoming braindead, they're bringing us into a new technological age. And the internet is just one of the tools the latest generation uses to do this.

Anyway, if he dosen't understand that, then that's too bad for him. There is nothing more anybody can say or do for him.

So if someone's opinion differs from the "we can do everything online these days!!!!" attitude, then they're just an Old person and there's is nothing more anybody can say or do for him? If someone doesn't necessarily believe that "we can do everything online these days!!! We don't need to be able to make anything or grow anything or know where anything comes from, we can order it all online!! And then we can make some incredibly creative videos on youtube!! And if we do need any information on anything, we can get it from Wiki the pedia!! We don't need any ability to research anything any more!" Is that about the size of it?

No, PARENTS or rather neglectful parents are allowing kids to become "brain dead". As a child grows up all a parent has to do is unplug or turn of the damn electronics. Read some books to the kids, take walks and talk to the kids.

Jeesh. IMO all many people do is find something/someone to blame for their own neglect.

Nibs

• Like 1

So if someone's opinion differs from the "we can do everything online these days!!!!" attitude, then they're just an Old person and there's is nothing more anybody can say or do for him? If someone doesn't necessarily believe that "we can do everything online these days!!! We don't need to be able to make anything or grow anything or know where anything comes from, we can order it all online!! And then we can make some incredibly creative videos on youtube!! And if we do need any information on anything, we can get it from Wiki the pedia!! We don't need any ability to research anything any more!" Is that about the size of it?

Don't see where your getting that out of my post, LV. By "nothing more anybody can say or do for him" I meant, that it's his opinion and just the way he sees it or is going to see it. And that nobody needs to bother trying to argue with his opinion, because he simply doesn't understand or thinks he knows where the latest generation is headed. He obviously sterotypes all of the younger generations with just playing games and making videos all damn day, when that's not entirely true; only halfass true.

Let me put it in another way, he thinks that all of the younger generations, not just a few of the young, are nothing more than slackers and sit on their asses all day in front of the computer doing nothing. Wrong! Some of us are trying to develope new ideas and creative ways of doing tasks, with the technology of computers, in the near future. And some of us don't sit around in front of the computer all day, either. Some of us actually do go out and do things with our hands. And he's got this thought or mentality that we should all be doing things like he's doing, when that's not gonna happen. Only in a perfect world, his perfect world. Yes, some are gonna sit in front of a computer or TV all day and do nothing productive and some are not. He can't expect everybody to be doing the same thing, that he believes they should be doing. Like I said: Only in a perfect world, his perfect world. And that type of world cannot or does not exist.