Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Cougars of South Carolina.

keninsc

425716_439518716115622_425094776_n.jpg

That eight pointer didn't know what hit him.

Taken near Sumter, SC, December 11, 2012.

• Like 3

We have those here and it took forever for the dept of conservation to admit we have them.

Its not just the deer that have to be alert they have been also known to attack people on horseback and while hiking or bike riding.

Nice! and apparently very healthy.

Decades old argument on cougars in the east. Are they just escaped pets? Travelers from the west or Florida? Or, is there a viable population of Eastern Cougar in the east.

Blah blah blah

About twenty to twenty-five years ago I recall a number of states sort of banded together and announced they'd reintroduce Cougars in an effort to cull the large deer herds. They felt this was better than extending the seasons on hunting due to pressure from supposed "wild life", insert "anti-hunters" groups. Now many of these same groups are all concerned about there being an increase in the number of attacks on hikers and such by cougars.

I sent one letter of support to the Virgina Wildlife resource people and suggested they tell people to have some means of protection with them. Please note, "Some form of protection" can be anything really. Got a nasty reply from them telling me they could not and would not suggest any such thing, I just shook my head. Still have the letter somewhere.

I had one of those in my backyard a few years back. Killed 12 Goose. Stipid thing was a juvi and didnt eat his meat. But yeah that tails the same.

amazing cats...have them in my area as well. Have never encountered one while hiking yet but that might be because I have a couple of Dogo's.

Your link is for the Pinedale Mall turkey drop routine from WKRP. Funny but didn't see anything about a cougar on there, unless you meant Loni Anderson is a cougar.

Looks like it doesn't it?

I must confess I didn't bother to check it out. I got it from a friend on facebook and assumed...... they'd checked it out themselves.

Wrong.

Edited by keninsc

We have Black Bears show up at the ocean front yearly here in Virginia Beach. Usually young males looking for territory that follow the power lines out of the Great Dismal Swamp right onto the resort strip but haven't seen any reports of big cats on the east coast in this area.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/bears-visit-oceanfront-kicks-quite-ruckus