Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kids

ReaperS_ParadoX

i think you misunderstood my post. i wasn't implying the kid has problems i was responding to the OP in which it is said that the mom was thinking that might be an issue

personally i don't feel any child that age should have a pet so small.

From what was further mentioned in the thread by the OP starter, the mother just assumed her child would know not to squeeze the hamster hard.. So I gather the kid was not told how to handle a small pet.. Some parents forget themselves ( it's easy done, my own mother forgot too ) and they just assume the children will know how to handle them.. But from my own experience and from what I have seen over time, this is not always the case..Children need to be taught and guided ..Well in my opinion they do ..

• Like 1

From what was further mentioned in the thread by the OP starter, the mother just assumed her child would know not to squeeze the hamster hard.. So I gather the kid was not told how to handle a small pet.. Some parents forget themselves ( it's easy done, my own mother forgot too ) and they just assume the children will know how to handle them.. But from my own experience and from what I have seen over time, this is not always the case..Children need to be taught and guided ..Well in my opinion they do ..

admittedly i didn't read the entire thread. i posted off the OP but yes i do agree with what you've said here. as i mentioned, i was going on the assumption that this was a possibility in the mother's mind.

i would never have assumed my child did something like that intentionally so it struck me as odd that she would consider it.

• Like 1

Shes not going to buy him another hamster so for all you that worry for the animal its not needed.

Shes not going to buy him another hamster so for all you that worry for the animal its not needed.

I think not getting him another hamster is just more punishment on top of an accident he felt bad about.

So a mum buys her son a pet(the kid is happy).. The kid accidently kills the pet(from a lack of instruction, excitement/playing), he's sad and probably still feels guilt and then the mum doesnt buy him another. I bet he wished he never had one now which isnt a very nice gift/memory in the end. Thats how I look at it anyway.

So I wouldnt make him feel worse and I certaintly wouldnt assume anything horrible about him. To do that is horrible in itself.

• Like 2

I think not getting him another hamster is just more punishment on top of an accident he felt bad about.

So a mum buys her son a pet(the kid is happy).. The kid accidently kills the pet(from a lack of instruction, excitement/playing), he's sad and probably still feels guilt and then the mum doesnt buy him another. I bet he wished he never had one now which isnt a very nice gift/memory in the end. Thats how I look at it anyway.

So I wouldnt make him feel worse and I certaintly wouldnt assume anything horrible about him. To do that is horrible in itself.

Yeah she didnt buy it for him in the first place, it was a christmas gift, and she decided not getting him another one is the best decision for right now.

admittedly i didn't read the entire thread. i posted off the OP but yes i do agree with what you've said here. as i mentioned, i was going on the assumption that this was a possibility in the mother's mind.

i would never have assumed my child did something like that intentionally so it struck me as odd that she would consider it.

I agree it does strike as a bit odd to consider it as a possibility

If it were me, I would get my kid another one and teach her how to look after it.. It's all part of teaching your kid responsibility I would do this because I knew she was happy with the pet in the first place, and how she felt bad after the accident..To make her feel better getting another one would most likely work out well in the end .. My daughter was harping looking a puppy..I asked her, was she willing to clean up after it and walk, feed and look after it.?. Once I said clean up after it, she said no, and that put an end to that...I will not allow her to have a pet, knowing she will not take care of it properly..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

I agree it does strike as a bit odd to consider it as a possibility

If it were me, I would get my kid another one and teach her how to look after it.. It's all part of teaching your kid responsibility I would do this because I knew she was happy with the pet in the first place, and how she felt bad after the accident..To make her feel better getting another one would most likely work out well in the end .. My daughter was harping looking a puppy..I asked her, was she willing to clean up after it and walk, feed and look after it.?. Once I said clean up after it, she said no, and that put an end to that...I will not allow her to have a pet, knowing she will not take care of it properly..

You are so right BM, first talk through with the child to see if it can except all the responsibilies, then once they have the pet, a wee bit of guidance wouldn't go amiss. You can't just leave the child to it, that's not good parenting, but also unfair to the animal. A child is a child, it needs care. A pet is a pet, it needs care.

• Like 1

You are so right BM, first talk through with the child to see if it can except all the responsibilies, then once they have the pet, a wee bit of guidance wouldn't go amiss. You can't just leave the child to it, that's not good parenting, but also unfair to the animal. A child is a child, it needs care. A pet is a pet, it needs care.

Exactly, a bit of teaching and the right guidance, can go a long way

Xactly! Look at you and me!!! :w00t:

• Like 1

She said there gonna go out of town to visit his grandma because she wasnt able to see them during christmas because she was really sick, but she said when they get back she will probably cave on getting him another hamster. So no worries :tu:

• Like 1

Could this be a lesson for every person out there in the world? Never, EVER give animals as gifts like that. The poor mother was really put in a bit of a jam since the kid was given the hamster by someone else. Leave that sort of 'gift' to parents. While I"m on a rant (as a parent) NO more of those stocking things filled with those horrible lollies - Trolli? Ugh they give my kids nightmares and I have to keep sneaking them into the garbage on bin night.

I hope the child recovers well from this and all ends up ok. This will shape and form his personality. Hopefully into being a sweetie who cares for the less robust creatures of the world. Positive from negative.

R4z3rsPar4d0x It was touching you cared so much to post the initial message. Wishing you well. :tu: