Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Day in the Life of Bigfoot

Q-C

In the forests in my area (where Bigfoot is supposedly everywhere), a large creature with a large brain would have to hibernate to survive the winter.

During the winter when their mothers are barely surviving? That would explain why there aren't many of them!

Doing what?

Bears give birth during hibernation time in their dens. It protects the babies. We never see any sasquatch "babies". So I offered the connection.

If sasquatch are "like us" I wondered if the males might stick around with mom and babies rather than mom alone giving birth in her own den as well as after.

Edited by QuiteContrary

@ orangepeaceful,

Superior intelligence and the occasional rogue escapee does explain a lot.

But I wonder how many believers hold fast to that, even though it makes "sense" considering all we know/don't know.

But what are the explanations the "normal" animal believers adhere to to explain what we know/don't know as well.

Idk, maybe that number is in a small minority, and all subscribe some form of supernatural to the creature.

Just wrote a really long post and lost it. I don't think it's worth spending another 30 minutes typing with still more to do just to have the post belittled.

I thought this was meant to be a serious thread but I guess it's not. :no:

I should rephrase my reply.

I cannot speak for you and any other believer. And maybe this type of thread does not work for some. Apologies.

I did want to hear from those who've applied some scientific thought to their belief in BF's existence.

Harmless humor will happen, and I have no problem with that but others might, I can't speak for you or tell you how to feel. Again, apologies.

Edited by QuiteContrary

@ orangepeaceful,

Superior intelligence and the occasional rogue escapee does explain a lot.

But I wonder how many believers hold fast to that, even though it makes "sense" considering all we know/don't know.

But what are the explanations the "normal" animal believers adhere to to explain what we know/don't know as well.

Idk, maybe that number is in a small minority, and all subscribe some form of supernatural to the creature.

I think the tongue-in-cheek point of my story is that the belief that Bigfoot is just any other animal doesn't hold water. Its illogical to believe that a giant man-ape without supernatural powers could somehow exist and not leave behind any of the tell-tale markers of existence that other real animals do. The only logical explanation at that point becomes that Bigfeet are somehow supernatural. Which is also a load of hogwash, but does make for entertaining fiction.

I think the tongue-in-cheek point of my story is that the belief that Bigfoot is just any other animal doesn't hold water. Its illogical to believe that a giant man-ape without supernatural powers could somehow exist and not leave behind any of the tell-tale markers of existence that other real animals do. The only logical explanation at that point becomes that Bigfeet are somehow supernatural. Which is also a load of hogwash, but does make for entertaining fiction.

Yes, as a skeptic I am there too. I liked your "theory". :yes:

But I figure some must look at this creature as viably "real" and therefore would like to hear how they see this creature functioning.

Bears give birth during hibernation time in their dens. It protects the babies. We never see any sasquatch "babies". So I offered the connection.

Oh, you're right. But we do see bear cubs in the spring especially around streams.

If sasquatch are "like us" I wondered if the males might stick around with mom and babies rather than mom alone giving birth in her own den as well as after.

I can't think of how papa Bigfoot would be of any help during hibernation.

Oh, you're right. But we do see bear cubs in the spring especially around streams.

I can't think of how papa Bigfoot would be of any help during hibernation.

Yes, I guess I see sasquatch as more hunkering down in shelter of some sort for the winter, rather than in true hibernation. And food/water would still need to be obtained (or stored?), etc. And therefore they function more as like a hominoid family. I would offer the more intelligent the more likely to form family/clan groups for several reasons.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Yes, I guess I see sasquatch as more hunkering down in shelter of some sort for the winter, rather than in true hibernation.

You mean building some kind of lean-to? That would make them a lot easier to find.

You mean building some kind of lean-to? That would make them a lot easier to find.

Yes, sasquatch-made dwellings might, I would guess. And have been found according to believers. Although minus the sasquatch, as far as I know.

Also, a squatch's back would look like a bear if it was curled up with only a portion of back visible?

Maybe less conspicuous- caves, old bear dens, shacks, unused human dwellings, a crude human-built looking dwelling no one would suspect for a bigfoot-built home?

Just doing some wild speculatin as a skeptic and wondering how? It may not add up for us, on a number of levels, but then if a believer has an idea about this creatures I'd love to hear it.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Ok I decided to type this out again this time on word first.

All the listed below are my own thoughts, some may be shared by others, others not.

Like any living creature we all require food, water and shelter to survive, no different for the HGs (hairy guys). I’m basing all my information on where I live which is in the Blue Mountains of Australia. Our country side here is I believe very different to where a lot of BF sightings happen.

If you stand on our deck all you’ll see is bush and valleys /hills as far as the eye can see. There are no areas of open grasslands.

1. Water- the easiest to explain as we have valley and hills everywhere so we automatically also have gullies. Most gullies fill with water during rain, the creeks become streams or even rivers depending on the amount of rain. Some dry up without rain though small ponds of water remain. In other gullies they have waterfalls and permanent streams, some even have large permanent swimming areas. Most people do not go off track here and any creature could live untouched by humans, the major walking tracks would obviously be a no go zone.

2. Food- I recently watched a doomsday preppers episode and the man had studied botany in preparation for a huge earthquake in whatever large city he lived in. He showed how in a 2 acre dump of weeds and bush near an old railway line that there were so many varieties of edible vegetation that you could survive for ages on it. I also did a small section on Australian plants under my Aboriginal studies for nursing and you’d be surprised by what you can actually eat. Different plants have different parts that are edible by humans so for creatures with not just 2 acres but with endless acres at their disposal and I’m sure the knowledge like other wildlife of what they can eat, plants would not be in short supply. The waterways also carry small fish and an abundance of yabbies. While I’ll explain in more detail later, the other side of the mountains has commercial orchards that in winter have fruit exploding from the trees.

3. Shelter- Here the gullies and their sides become important. There are many rock overhangs, all the properties along our ridge have them in their backyards, larger caves exist deeper in the bush. Some gullies also are so deep they stay deep in shade all day, with waterways moving along large ferns and bushes also cover the bottom of them. For the heat we all know shaded areas drop the temperature by at least 10 degrees as can deep caves. Also thick foliage can offer protection from all but severe rain storms. Another thought, double coats. They work on other animals by keeping them cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

4. Migration- Now to my earlier point about food. The HGs wouldn’t just directly eat the plant life around wherever they may make their main base, the base may even change daily. In summer sightings over here are more frequent in late afternoon or night time. They’d probably spread out covering a fairly broad, different area each day to keep supplies even. From Autumn to Spring they seem to migrate possibly to the other side of the mountain, new foliage and all that sweet fruit as treats, easily raided at night.

5. Family Groups- An alpha male and his family consisting of younger males, females and young ones co-exist together. The alpha will often do the checking out of the areas ahead of allowing his family to venture. During migration family groups likely encounter other groups where mating with different members happen thus allowing to keep the gene pool fresh. If you look at the gestational period of greater apes and humans and use this as a rough guide a HG pregnancy would result with a birth in summer when the group is back in their usual base and the conditions are warmer for a young baby allowing it time to get a thicker coat of hair before winter sets in.

6. Intelligence- Obviously for all this to happen I believe the HGs are at least as intelligent as a human, maybe even more so. They have worked out warning systems for when they are suddenly caught unawares, to an untrained bush person they’d just put certain sounds down to bird calls etc. Even we worked out efficient hand signals and the 12hr clock system for night walks. Taking small amounts of fruit at a time or of the ground of single properties can be attributed to possums etc as well.The odd ones that have been seen or have supposedly threatened people would normally be a loner one that isn’t accepted into a family group for whatever reason.

• Like 2

Ok I decided to type this out again this time on word first.

All the listed below are my own thoughts, some may be shared by others, others not.

*snip*

Thanks Tia! I'll reread your above post again later and add any more questions/comments.

I Googled your area and it looks beautiful with thick vegetation.

Native Peoples all over the world have certainly managed to live off what nature offers them, and survive in all types of weather.

What do you think these creatures are?

Do you think they are as large a some say or more human-sized or even smaller? To hide and survive and nourish themselves? That is one thing I have always thought...if we shorten HG's a bit they make more sense to me.

What are the largest mammalian carnivore and herbivore in Australia?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

1. Water- the easiest to explain as we have valley and hills everywhere so we automatically also have gullies. Most gullies fill with water during rain, the creeks become streams or even rivers depending on the amount of rain. Some dry up without rain though small ponds of water remain.

Animals cannot wait for rain. They must have regular dependable sources of water.

In other gullies they have waterfalls and permanent streams, some even have large permanent swimming areas. Most people do not go off track here and any creature could live untouched by humans, the major walking tracks would obviously be a no go zone.

So you have Bigfoot that somehow learns where humans walk without being discovered and memorizes all those areas and avoids them. And every Bigfoot does exactly the same thing. Why would Bigfoot avoid humans? Bears sure don't.

How does Bigfoot travel through the forest without using trails? How does Bigfoot access these sources of water while people are around them?

2. Food- I recently watched a doomsday preppers episode and the man had studied botany in preparation for a huge earthquake in whatever large city he lived in. He showed how in a 2 acre dump of weeds and bush near an old railway line that there were so many varieties of edible vegetation that you could survive for ages on it.

Weeds and bush do not provide the protein that a large-brained animal would need to survive.

I also did a small section on Australian plants under my Aboriginal studies for nursing and you’d be surprised by what you can actually eat. Different plants have different parts that are edible by humans so for creatures with not just 2 acres but with endless acres at their disposal and I’m sure the knowledge like other wildlife of what they can eat, plants would not be in short supply.

A large-brained animal would have to spend hours consuming enough vegetation to survive. Yes, there are lots of edible plants however in survival training you learn that you burn almost as much calories collecting them as they provide. A 600 pound bipedal creature would spend enormous amounts of time and energy collecting them and would easily be observed.

The waterways also carry small fish and an abundance of yabbies.

Fishing also takes time and expends energy. No one has ever seen Bigfoot fishing in a stream.

While I’ll explain in more detail later, the other side of the mountains has commercial orchards that in winter have fruit exploding from the trees.

Here in the forests of the Pacific Northwest where Bigfoot is supposedly everywhere all the time, we don't have fruit-bearing trees during the winter.

Many of the people i know who say they believe in bigfoot think they ( bigfoots) are plain travelers, moving from plain to plain like book mites go from page to page in a book.

i think that they are solitary and migratory. no one that i have ever heard of has seen or experienced groups of big foot or Big foot that were child sized, but perhaps one makes itself seen so that the rest can get away unseen. Living in the wild as they seem to do they would have to be hunter gatherers, and if so they would know better than a city bred human what is edible and what is going to kill them. Many animals bury their bodily waste, as examples canines and cats both scratch dirt and other stuff over their waste., and as any hunter can tell you dead bodies do not last long in the wild. within just a few weeks there is nothing left but hide and bones, and that is if allowed to rot without predation if bigfoot is nonintelligent it could very well eat it's dead, like man did in many parts of the world up until just a couple hundred years ago. and if they are intelligent then they could very well know that a body laying around would be a dead givaway and hide or bury it

As a migratory creature ( if it is) they would most likely have paths or routes they would travel( like elk and Caribou)and they would learn the terraine and so would know where the caves and bigfoot motels were, on the other hand if they were teritorial that would increase the requirement to learn and know their teritory like the back of their hand.

they are bigger than man and I assume they are as much stronger as they are bigger, i would be willing to bet they could climb trees better than a bear to hide in and sleep in when terraine and weather allowed. Do they use tools, I don't know but if they did they might be able to build beds in trees or even as one person suggested dig tunnels and caves to hide in. They don't seem to use or need fire, due to the lack of proof of said use. ( i hate that word 'Proof' but have no choice other than using it here) i remember my mother once saying she figured that there was some place out there where Bigfioot was sitting back in his lounge chair with a brandy in hand laughing at humanity because we can't see what's right in front of our faces.

if Bigfoot exist and are native to this world / plain then they would most likely be related to the great apes Like some people say mankind is. this would make them omnivores like man is. but unless they can make tools they would trend heavily on the vegitarian side of being an omnivore because a creature that big could not catch a deer or elk or antelope or kangaroo except by surprize, With no evidence of the use of fire they would eat meat raw when they could get it. And the dead and rotting meat smell that i have heard accompanies some sighting would back this up. many animals will roll in their kill to hide their body oder

and that is as far as My limited hunters logic can take me.

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

Tia,

Do you believe these animals are widespread across your country?

What besides crocodiles would possibly prey upon HG? Or, at least not pass up a meal of one (killing and eating).

Animals cannot wait for rain. They must have regular dependable sources of water.

The gully behind my house depends on rain as I also stated a real lot are permanent streams, waterfalls and swimming holes, so yes there are regular dependable sources of water.

So you have Bigfoot that somehow learns where humans walk without being discovered and memorizes all those areas and avoids them. And every Bigfoot does exactly the same thing. Why would Bigfoot avoid humans? Bears sure don't.

I already said I believe these creatures are as intelligent as humans. I know if I'm down the bush myself and hear people approaching and my hearing wouldn't be as good as a creature if it's all males i'll stay hidden if I'm in a time out spot. I've yet to be found. Most bush creatures and birds take off at the sign of a human, all you normally hear of a wallaby is the thump thump as they hop away without ever sighting them. Maybe because bears aren't as intelligence as humans, maybe they are also more used to seeing humans and not being threatened by them. Honestly how hard would it be to avoid humans if you constantly see or hear them use certain tracks? HGs probably want to avoid humans because they're smart enough to know that humans basically suck and bring nothing but hatred and destruction to each other. Hasn't it already been mentioned over and over again nothing but a body would be good enough proof?????????????

How does Bigfoot travel through the forest without using trails? How does Bigfoot access these sources of water while people are around them?

Remember I am basing my answers on where I live in Australia. Unless you've been in this very part you cannot image the landscape and water can easily be accessed in areas that humans do not go near. The upper mountains are where most people do serious off track bush walking not around here. Same for travelling, yes they do leave some trails in small areas I've walked past them for years before someone pointed out one to me. So easy to miss unless you know what you're looking for, remember we don't have grassy areas it's rock and leaves on the ground, no squashed areas to look for. As for crossing to the other side of the mountain they could have tracks 5 metres wide but I've never heard of anyone crossing through the area so who knows?

Weeds and bush do not provide the protein that a large-brained animal would need to survive.

None of us know the physiology of a HG, so really can't answer this it would all be guess work. The alpha male would be the largest member of the family around 7ft the rest smaller . Have you studied botany? Do you just what all the Australian plants can offer in terms of nutrients?

A large-brained animal would have to spend hours consuming enough vegetation to survive. Yes, there are lots of edible plants however in survival training you learn that you burn almost as much calories collecting them as they provide. A 600 pound bipedal creature would spend enormous amounts of time and energy collecting them and would easily be observed.

See above.... also I thought I mentioned the timing they use when least likely to be discovered, and who's going to observe them if they keep away from human areas?

Fishing also takes time and expends energy. No one has ever seen Bigfoot fishing in a stream.

I mentioned small fish and yabbies, kids catch them every day. They wouldn't be a major part of the diet maybe more of a tasty treat. Remember- Australia not the US with bears and salmon or trout or whatever it is you have over there in your rivers.

Here in the forests of the Pacific Northwest where Bigfoot is supposedly everywhere all the time, we don't have fruit-bearing trees during the winter.

Well I already mentioned countless times I'm quoting on the area I live only. I can't quote on something I've never experienced that would just make me ignorant.

*snip*

Thanks Tia! I'll reread your above post again later and add any more questions/comments.

I Googled your area and it looks beautiful with thick vegetation.

Native Peoples all over the world have certainly managed to live off what nature offers them, and survive in all types of weather.

I'll try to combine your 2 posts QC.

Are they wide spread? No I don't think they are, I think they need to have areas like where I live for the best chance of survival. The Blue Mountains, the mountain ranges in Qld, I also use to know some guys that were doing private research as well and they had secret areas they were working on, not sure where but I think most National Parks seem to be the common place for survival and encounters. The beach areas, the deserts, even all the open plains of farm land wouldn't work. There wouldn't be enough food, water or hidden shelter for them in these spots. I think most the sightings are of the loners that do move around more and tend to be aggressive.

What do you think these creatures are?

Hard to say, my ideas have changed a lot especially in the last couple of years but I prefer to keep these to myself. It's funny because I've noticed more people awakening their thoughts towards other ideas as well.

Do you think they are as large a some say or more human-sized or even smaller? To hide and survive and nourish themselves? That is one thing I have always thought...if we shorten HG's a bit they make more sense to me.

The alpha male was 7ft, the females and young smaller even the younger males hitting maturity were only about 6ft. The alpha I believed was a lot more mature in years and knowledge.

What are the largest mammalian carnivore and herbivore in Australia?

No crocodiles around here thank God as my dog swims at the local river lol. The marsupial lion and Tasmanian tiger were the largest but both are meant to be extinct.

Around here we are close to the 'Government made official' Black panther, there are also dingoes and of course wild dogs roam different parts of the mountains. We've luckily never had any problems, no pets or anything taken though a guy that has since moved, dog was attacked one night. It ran into the bush up from us and across from his house and started squealing it came out with it's neck ripped open a couple of inches and needed vet care. The guy mentioned to me panther even though he didn't know of my interests and moved shortly after.

As for here the largest herbivore would be the rock wallaby, the area is way to steep for anything else just possums etc.

On the plains you'd have kangaroos and far out wild camels and boars not native though.

I forgot to mention the goannas around here they can grow huge, we've had a good medium size one hanging around here lately as well as a bush turkey the first anyone has seen in at least 30 years here.

Just when you mentioned native people I thought Aborigines eat goannas and we've seen them up on the walking tracks as well plus also all the lovely snakes. :tu:

Edited by Tia

Thanks!

What types of areas did the Aborigines live on? (Not modern day if they've been forced out.)

I always pictured them as "desert" (rocky, low vegetation) plain dwellers.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I can't quite follow your confusing quoted post but it sounds like you agree that Bigfoot can't exist in America's Pacific Northwest.

Scowl, I keep commenting only on where I live in Australia. I don't know the US, I've only ever been to Disney Land ,LA, The Grand Canyon etc tourist spots. I've never spent time in the forests nor would I want to. Give me a HG over a bear any day. bears freak me out.

You're asking me a question I can't answer, not unless you want to fund me a trip over there to scout around for a while, at least I'd be honest about what I believe my findings were. cough (BFRO) cough.

QC, when white man first came to Australia the Aborigines were wide spread pretty much all over the country. In the Mountains here it is divided by 2 tribal lands still. The part where I live also goes all the way to the ex in laws holiday house which is like an hour and a half drive away.

I don't think they would have lived in the mountains here at the time probably hunted a bit in them, down lower there are plains and also over the top there are valleys and plains. Today most are pushed into small communities where things aren't good. :no:

@ tia

washington state ( part of the pacific northwest) in the USA also has a Mt range named the Blue Mountains, which is mostly forested in the south east corner of the state that have had lots and lots of reports of bigfoots. granted the whole state has lots of reports over the years. i'm not pointing fingers here but it seems to me that knowing little about each others countrys there could be some mis communication out there somewhere. and i could be wrong too, but i thought i would mention it.

i think that the blues extend down into oregon as well

Edited by mysticwerewolf

Yes, I was hiking in them twice last summer. We didn't see any Bigfoot but one bear appeared to be following us in the hope that we'd leave food. The deer have become so friendly that they hang around camp sites like stray pets.

The big fella knows how to hide and trap and live of the land hes intellect is way higher then we give him credit for he just wants to live in harmony with the land but every now and then he slips up and we catch a glimpse or even a photo but he's not concerned about that as long as the forests are safe he will always be there just out of our eye sight watching and waiting for us to move on. :tu:

• Like 2

@ tia

washington state ( part of the pacific northwest) in the USA also has a Mt range named the Blue Mountains, which is mostly forested in the south east corner of the state that have had lots and lots of reports of bigfoots. granted the whole state has lots of reports over the years. i'm not pointing fingers here but it seems to me that knowing little about each others countrys there could be some mis communication out there somewhere. and i could be wrong too, but i thought i would mention it.

Thanks for clearing that up, it would be confusing having 2 places called the same name. :tu:

When dealing with a creature such as bigfoot, in let's say dwindling numbers, how does that affect aggression? Could it also result in less aggressive behavior? Could we actually be dealing with very docile creatures? Which might be my guess since we have such few reports of or no reports of physically aggressive contact between humans and bigfoot.

Edited by QuiteContrary

The US version seems to be reported as more aggressive than the Australia one, well all except for one reported incident which has been proven over and over again to be false.

Based on what I mentioned it is the loners or howlers as I call them that are the ones most likely to be aggressive. Like a lone human, not accepted by society for some reason alone and angry. The closest I've been to one of them is about 100 metres and thank God I was locked in the house (late at night) as the howl it let out had everyone speechless.

I've also encountered one in the valley at night won't go into the full details my main concern was getting the others out of the bush as quickly and quietly as possible. It knew but, so freaky it knew and it followed and let us know and just as we were leaving and it howled again, realizing how close it had come and knowing these guys can move up ridges and stuff like flat ground with speed that would shock you..... :unsure2::o