Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Khasi village - where men have no rights

Render

The Khasi people of north-eastern India are a matrilineal society and some men aren't happy..

Kaith Pariat is sick of housekeeping and even more so of being bossed around by his mother-in-law. He has put up with this situation since he was married. "Can you imagine the shock of leaving your family home and suddenly becoming a dogsbody in your mother-in-law's house?" he asks. "She gives the orders and you become a good-for-nothing servant."

The Khasi, who number about 1 million in India's north-eastern state of Meghalaya, carry on the matrilineal tradition. The youngest daughter inherits, children take their mother's surname, and once married, men live in their mother-in-law's home.

"Only mothers or mother-in-laws look after the children. Men are not even entitled to take part in family gatherings. The husband is up against a whole clan of people: his wife, his mother-in-law and his children. So all he can do is play the guitar, sing, take to drink and die young," Pariat concludes gloomily.

Men are the weak sex in Meghalaya, but Pariat hopes the Syngkhong Rympei Thymai (SRT) campaign [roughly "a wedge to shore up a shaky table"] will promote reform of family structures. Indeed he wants to achieve more than mere equality. "Men are endowed with natural leadership. They should protect women, who in return should support them," he says.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/18/india-khasi-women-politics-bouissou

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16592633

lol I never thought I had the option of becoming a house husband. I would love to go on holiday here, I might have to bring a female accomplice to protect me tho hehehe

I'm really interested in what women think about this, are you willing to fight for equality for men. these men can't be painted as the same brush as we are as they have been the ones with inequality for generations.

You mean there is a small group of guys that are beaching because they are in the situation of most women worldwide??? How ironic!

these guys still have a right to equality, I think that saying that their in the situation of most women world wide is offensive to women as it would mean that the women's sexual equality movement hasn't been successful. I think if women stood up for these men, men would see they are fighting for equality both ways.

I was pretty tickled by this. Imagine if the new Super Power was this little region, oh my the world would be in complete upheaval but maybe the end result would be a fairer deal for all concerned.

I have to admit I like the idea of children having the mother's surname, kind of makes more sense considering you can always be absolutely sure of the matriarchal lineage but never quite so certain of the father :whistle:.

Just editing to add, no I don't think it is fair that the men are relegated to such an inferior position - they can't even attend family events? Wow, so they are basically slaves. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, they deserve a place of equality in the family and a fair say in how they live their lives.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

"Men are endowed with natural leadership. They should protect women, who in return should support them," he says.

I think he should be looking for equality rather than a role reversal and men gaining power over women. That's still a bit backwards in my opinion.

• Like 1

The strangest thing in that summary was the line saying that the youngest daughter inherits. Unless the rule was made to be intentionally rebellious of what the previous rules were before this tradition started, I can't find the logic in it.

The strangest thing in that summary was the line saying that the youngest daughter inherits. Unless the rule was made to be intentionally rebellious of what the previous rules were before this tradition started, I can't find the logic in it.

You have to remember that everytime someone takes over one particular gender there will be something illogical in it... look at today's society and find me some logic there.In Tunisia not that long ago a woman raped by two cops was to receive 100 lashes for enticing men to debauchery. Only a massive outcry of the population stopped the court. here

No matter the gender...it's not right at all