Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Westboro BC be classed a hate group ?

Simbi Laveau

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/26/white-house-petition-westboro_n_2365799.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Move over Piers Morgan ,a petition to declare the Westboro Baptist Church ,a hate group,has become the most signed petition in Whitehouse.govs history .

And rightly so I may add.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 5

If this was a poll Id leave my mark.

To me, this question cant be answered so cut and dry. If you classify them as a hate group you are in essence attacking their rights to free speech... as far as I know this group has done nothing to be violent. All they have done is protest and scream a message that they believe.... Im not saying I agree with their stance, and as a soldier I find it especially despicable... However, in this country everyone is allowed to voice their opinion. I think the best way to diminish WBC is to be louder than they are. Kevin Smith and the Patriot guard have done an excellent job at this.

• Like 5

Because all I need is a farm boy who can shoot womp rats.

Find someone who can bulls-eye womp rats from a T-16 and you might be on to something. Until then, I want my Death Star!

• Like 1

To me, this question cant be answered so cut and dry. If you classify them as a hate group you are in essence attacking their rights to free speech... as far as I know this group has done nothing to be violent. All they have done is protest and scream a message that they believe.... Im not saying I agree with their stance, and as a soldier I find it especially despicable... However, in this country everyone is allowed to voice their opinion. I think the best way to diminish WBC is to be louder than they are. Kevin Smith and the Patriot guard have done an excellent job at this.

Mmm,good points,but technically,all they spout is hate speech,which is a crime ....???? There's free speech ,and then speech that affects and infringes on the rights of others ?

• Like 3

WBC got some comuppance put down on them. Maybe they can learn. Maybe not. But yeah funerals are bad place to make a point.

Mmm,good points,but technically,all they spout is hate speech,which is a crime ....???? There's free speech ,and then speech that affects and infringes on the rights of others ?

And this is where it falls into a technical issue... WHEN does it start to infringe on the rights of others? Im not an advocate for this church as you well know... but looking for the line.

I believe WBC has lawyers to deal with that. The petition heh. Id never sign one.

The Westboro Church is already considered a hate group and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League, The Southern Poverty Law Center and the FBI.

This petition is pointless. Besides, the Supreme court has already ruled their speech as constitutional, unfortunately.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 3

The Westboro Church is already considered a hate group and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League, The Southern Poverty Law Center and the FBI.

This petition is pointless. Besides, the Supreme court has already ruled their speech as constitutional, unfortunately.

Thats where I was going with it. Free speech is free speech, theres no changing that for the most part. I despise this group but they arent technically a hate group. There has been no violence or malicious acts generated by them, Only "peaceful" protest.

Well, my 2-cents worth:

Wanting to protest around funerals of those 1st graders and other Sandy Hook victims is just plain SICK.

I do consider WBC a "hate group", but I also even more so consider them INSANE.

• Like 5

I say take away their tax exempt status. They are not a church, they involve themselves in too many insane practices that is purely to promote hate and people are learning to hate them. They have no respect for anyone but themselves and their views are the only ones that count.

My problem with classifying them as a hate group is how the line would be defined between being hateful speech or just freedom of speech.

And this is where it falls into a technical issue... WHEN does it start to infringe on the rights of others? Im not an advocate for this church as you well know... but looking for the line.

When my future ex-wife was a law student at Washburn U, we lived very close to the WBC

oups pushed the wrong key..

well lemme continue.

We lived next to WBC. Couple doors up Huntoon st lived a couple of gay guys and nearly everyday I had to tear down signs posted on a huge oak tree on my property. I received threats nearly everyday too. I called the cops but was told unless they hurted me they couldn't do anything. One day while one entered my property, I got out of the house wearing my shoulder harness and my 44... they never came back but once I found my house covered with eggs. This time the cops came and I received a restraining order. At the same time the 2 guys did too. But then they moved out to a more understanding town. Very intelligent guys.. I miss our chat.

Oups again forgot to say Washburn U is in Topeka (pronounced Topewka :P )

Edited by Paracelse
  • Like 1

I say take away their tax exempt status. They are not a church, they involve themselves in too many insane practices that is purely to promote hate and people are learning to hate them. They have no respect for anyone but themselves and their views are the only ones that count.

My problem with classifying them as a hate group is how the line would be defined between being hateful speech or just freedom of speech.

Insane practices are no reason to take away their cult status, just have a look at the Appalachian Snake Handlers.

Insane practices are no reason to take away their cult status, just have a look at the Appalachian Snake Handlers.

Snakes handlers don't come to people's home to insult them. WBC members do.

• Like 3

Snakes handlers don't come to people's home to insult them. WBC members do.

That is reason to arrest them for harassment, but not to hinder them in the exercise of their believes.

That is reason to arrest them for harassment, but not to hinder them in the exercise of their believes.

WBC members are a danger to society. I often noticed a very high level of selff-righteousness in your comments even on subject you don't know about, just based on your concept of right and wrong. I lived 4 years in Topeka, I had a friend who lost her business, a nice little bar in which I often went after closing my restaurant just to unwind. She had to close because her bar was destroyed by picketing wbs people who opposed her having 2 lesbians waitresses. When she lost her own place she went to work for another friend of mine (in the food business everybody knew everybody in a small town of 120 000 people). Those b******* went there and tried to have the business closed. Luckely the club owner was rich and bought the entire plazza where is club was and imposed manu military a restriction to the access of the plazza. Those morons bloqued the access. When 10 were arrested 10 others were coming out from under the bushes. Oh, and just a reminder, a great numbers of the wb people are lawyers old phelps being one of them. So please do not make an apologies for criminal behaviors in name of law. Remember one's freedom stops where starts someone else's.

• Like 2

But they are peaceful christmas, that spread love and acceptance..How dare you all think they should be branded a HATE group.. If we all showed hate for something that we didn't like, would we all like being branded a hater?

The WBC are doing it all out of love..lol

Goodness that did feel weird.

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

On further reflection I have to agree with you Dred. To just condemn brings no change or healing. These people spew a despicable message and it can be effectively and non violently countered by each community they burden with their presence. I don't see them gaining adherents. I really am disturbed that they call themselves Baptists.
  • Like 1