Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus and Hercules, similar or different?

Blueogre2

Greetings forum, today I am thinking about what it means for a human to claim divinity, now there have been many people who have done so throughout history, but I feel that the most notable are Jesus Christ and Hercules. I have always felt these two figures have much more in common then most realize and I would like to hear people's opinion on the matter.

WELL.... IMO, there is a need for humans to have a mythical hero who would save the world. What kinds of stories do we love to see? Look at Star Wars and Luke Skywalker. The Lord of The Rings and Frodo Baggins. Why do fantasy novels have such a loayl and large following? With Hercules, he was the son of Zeus and he made changes for the good of humanity, yes, but there were so many other Heroes in the Greek/Roman mythologies that told similar stories. Humans have wanted a hero who is meant to save us through the ages. Give him a different name, they all seem to have very similar stories.

• Like 1

The difference is that Kevin Sorbo never played Jesus Christ on television :innocent:

Ok, seriously, aside from the fact that they are both alleged to be the son of a god (Hercules the son of Zeus, Jesus the son of Yahweh) there's actually very little in their life stories that are common. And even their births are questionably different, for Zeus physically had sex with a mortal whereas Mary was a virgin when she conceived.

I suppose both Jesus and Hercules are alleged to have been forces for good while they were in our world, but that's not saying much. Many literary figures can be described as a "force for good" while not actually having much in common.

~ Regards,

I see no similarity between Jesus and Hercules. However, between Jesus and Horus is a different matter. To me, what we name as Jesus is a manifestation of Horus. I do not mean by this to say that there was a living person called Jesus who was actually Horus in human form.

• Like 1

I see no similarity between Jesus and Hercules. However, between Jesus and Horus is a different matter. To me, what we name as Jesus is a manifestation of Horus. I do not mean by this to say that there was a living person called Jesus who was actually Horus in human form.

Yes there are a great many similarities between Horus and Jesus, after all the whole image of the Madonna and her child is very similar to the story of Isis and baby Horus. But what about the similarities with Hercules? I mean they both claimed to have a divine father, both of them were misunderstood during their lives,( Hercules's violence, Jesus's odd behavior,) and Both died physical deaths before rising into heaven in a new glorified state.( Jesus' revived body, Hercules having all that was mortal burned out of him by the funeral pyre). I am not saying that they were greatly similar just that some similarity exists

Funny, if anything I would have said Hercules and Jesus at least had their fathers both being deity giving birth by female mothers (though Mary was still a virgin). Horus doesn't even have that to draw on (his mother was the goddess Isis, and she gave birth after having sex with the god Osiris). Virtually nothing is similar between Jesus and Horus :yes:

~ Regards,

PA

If I may speculate, the Jesus-Horus parallel is a nice illustration of a reader getting out of a myth what the reader brings to it.

The actual death and revival myth of Horus is that he takes a scorpion bite and appears to be dead. His mother, rather than accepting his apparent death keeps struggling to find an antidote for the venom despite the appearances that there is no longer any benefit to Horus in her doing so. That in itself is a mythic quest motif, and it works out better for Isis than it did for Gilgamesh.

The Egyptian myth, then, transmits cultural knowledge (a neurotoxin victim may appear dead before he actually is dead) and celebrates a socially useful moral (persistence in a good cause is noble, and sometimes effective). These are, of course, traditional functions of mythology.

Only a reader who was culturally Christian could see Horus as the hero of this myth. If there is any genuine parallel to the Christian Passion, then it is Jesus to Isis, since they are the divine figures doing the heavy lifting, at great cost to themselves, and because of their love for someone else. Horus would correspond with those who benefit from the Christ's divine labor. I suppose that because Horus is restored to a former estate of glory, he could be a type for fallen humanity being restored its former condition before the unfortunate incident in Eden.

As to Hercules versus Jesus, the differences far outweigh the few casual parallels. Hercules is the very Western human son of a very Indo-European god. Jesus is the very Jewish son of the one and only Jewish God. You would think 'nuff said right there. If not, then the riotous Hercules cycle much more resembles the Nephilim business, something from Genesis interpreted through Enoch, than anything whatsoever in Jesus' career.

• Like 1

Virtually nothing is similar between Jesus and Horus :yes:

That is simply your point of view, for even the originator of this thread wrote "Yes there are a great many similarities between Horus and Jesus". Even a cursory search on this subject will show many similarities between Jesus and Horus and also Osiris. Plenty of comments on this forum alone show views that point to Judaism having links to Atenism, and Christianity perhaps having it's roots in Alexandria. A nodding smiley does not equate to proof of anything. Besides, I know very well that this subject inflames religous passions, most often, in fact sometimes entirely from side of religions of the book, who have much to loose from any "heresy" gaining ground.

• Like 1

There is also the fact that many nations in the past claimed the founder of their nation was one of the sons of Hercules aka the Heracleidae.

This does not happen with people claiming the founder of their nation was the son of Jesus.

We are all devine and cling to the superhuman because it is our heritage. Most of us our not as close to the father in heaven as Jesus and Hercules were and so we look to these sources to achieve what they achieved.

There is also the fact that many nations in the past claimed the founder of their nation was one of the sons of Hercules aka the Heracleidae.

This does not happen with people claiming the founder of their nation was the son of Jesus.

We are not sons of Jesus but co-heirs with Christ...

Edited by SpiritWriter