Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

parents ordered to stay away from daughter

glorybebe

Tensions between a young woman and her parents have escalated to the point where Ohio university student Aubrey Ireland said they make her feel like "a dog with a collar on," so she has secured a stalking protection order against the couple...

...The couple admitted to installing keylogging software on her computer and cellphone, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer...The court heard that the student's parents accused her of using drugs, being promiscuous, and having mental-health issues -- the latter, Aubrey said, formed the basis of her parents' bid to have her mental capabilities evaluated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/12/us-honour-student-secures-stalking-order-against-her-parents.html

Holy, crazy parents!

The Cincinnati newspaper reports that, before the order, the university went so far as to hire security guards to deny David and Julie Ireland access to their daughter's performances, and agreed to give the high-achieving student a full scholarship to replace her parents' now-withdrawn financial support.

Now that is a school that actually seems to care about their students. The good ones who have shown a real desire to excel given her academic achievements anyway.

What a wonderful story.

It's about time somebody fought back against their parents over-protectiveness.

I think any kid would be bugged out by their parents continuing visits on the campus.

What I love about this more than anything else is the school backing her up.

Education does get it's share of criticism so it's nice to see them do the right thing for once.

What a wonderful story.

I think any kid would be bugged out by their parents continuing visits on the campus.

Education does get it's share of criticism so it's nice to see them do the right thing for once.

Well, there is loving and supporting your child and then there is controlling every aspect of their life. 'The court heard that the student's parents accused her of using drugs, being promiscuous, and having mental-health issues.....' Boy, how many students would be under a court order for doing this or having issues while at college/university? It is the time for the children to learn about themselves and figure out their strengths.

• Like 1

I'm confused by the article. Are Cincinnati University and Ohio University the same???

Also, if the parents were that paranoid and since they paid for her tuition, they would not have sent her to Ohio University, imo.

OU is "Party Capital" this side of Mars. (trips leave hourly from OU)

Spent many a weekend there. But don't ask for any details. Can't remember a darn thing.

And it's reputation still holds today, as far as I know.

But good for her anyway! So many kids would benefit from this if it were routinely possible.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'm confused by the article. Are Cincinnati University and Ohio University the same???

Also, if the parents were that paranoid and since they paid for her tuition, they would not have sent her to Ohio University, imo.

OU is "Party Capital" this side of Mars. (trips leave hourly from OU)

Spent many a weekend there. But don't ask for any details. Can't remember a darn thing.

And it's reputation still holds today, as far as I know.

But good for her anyway! So many kids would benefit from this if it were routinely possible.

Well as insofar as Cinninnati is actually in Ohio.

Tbh I don't why they had second thoughts about enrolling their daughter there.

Maybe they were checking to see how their investment was going and see if they were getting value for money.

And when they found out that something was amiss they initiated a crackdown but they didn't count on their daughters happiness.

It just goes to show that paranoia holds no bounds when it comes to protecting your children.

But when you go too far your liable not to respect your kids boundaries and that's when the real problems start.

She's going to end up being a poster child for any children finding their own way in the world.

That's a step in the right direction.

Edited by Medium Brown

Ohio University is in Athens, OH. Ohio State University is in Columbus, Oh, and Cincinnati University is in Cincinnati, Oh.

What they should have said in the article is a student at AN Ohio University, or just a student at Cincinnati University.

You are right about OU being nothing more than a party school.

What a wonderful story.

If she's in college ,she's of legal age. She doesn't need keyloggers in her stuff. That's illegal in most places

They sound nuts.

I don't get it, if the parents really thought their kid was doing nothing but messing about at college, then simply don't pay for another semester! The fact that these parents became irrational stalkers puts the *problem* as being with them. Some people really shouldn't have kids in the first place IMO.

• Like 2

I don't get it, if the parents really thought their kid was doing nothing but messing about at college, then simply don't pay for another semester! The fact that these parents became irrational stalkers puts the *problem* as being with them. Some people really shouldn't have kids in the first place IMO.

Poor kids... :passifier: Edited by CuriousGreek

Totally agree. And, to try and have your daughter's mental facilities come into question because she might have been partying and/or being promiscuous? Totally over what I deem acceptable.

Reminds me of a friend. She got into Baylor, great school here in Texas, got in trouble for doing drugs, what did her parents do? Yanked her right back home and put her into community college. Real college is for adults, they said, if you can't follow the law on your own, you need your parents still then.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

When I was three, I was kidnapped by gipsies. I wouldn't have minded so much but it was my father who drove the waggon!

• Like 1