Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Tomb Too Deadly to Explore

seeder

quote: "After discovering a secret palace hidden in China’s first emperor massive burial complex, Chinese technicians are nervous. Not because Qin Shi Huang’s tomb is the most important archeological discovery since Tutankhamun, but because they believe his burial place is full of deadly traps that will kill any trespassers".

oohh... wheres Indiana Jones when needed?

http://zen-haven.com/ancient-tomb-may-be-too-deadly-to-explore/

I'd bet that for every one person who is deterred, there are two who would volunteer to be the first to explore it.

Yeah, I did hear about the suspected mass quantities of liquid mercury placed there, more as a tribute,

i think.

Later on in the article though, it does say that "traps" are likely fictitious, but who knows!

I'd bet that for every one person who is deterred, there are two who would volunteer to be the first to explore it.

maybe...but as much as Im a skeptic...id still like someone else to go before me!! Just in case! (or does that make me - a non skeptic?)

Edited by seeder

I think Indiana Jones may be a little too old...

Edited by shaddow134

I think Indiana Jones may be a little too old...

what about his son then? :yes:

I read that they used the mercury to create artificial lakes in a mock-up of the world/the empire he ruled and that it's started to leak into the local ground leading to higher then average mercury levels in the soil.

I read that they used the mercury to create artificial lakes in a mock-up of the world/the empire he ruled and that it's started to leak into the local ground leading to higher then average mercury levels in the soil.

I heard that somewhere to not about the mercury leaking into the soil but that he had it made up to represent the empire he ruled

As far as I know this is true. Soil samples have yielded extremely high levels of mercury. One can understand the reticence of Chinese officials to send people into that tomb, not to mention their simple and laudable desire to keep its contents safe and secure.

Still, I have to admit I've always wondered what was in there. I say, go ahead. To that end I am proposing a lottery at UM. The winner (loser?) will be the first one inside the tomb. We'll give him or her galoshes in case wading through mercury rivers becomes necessary (although I admit I'm dubious about the mercury rivers and lakes, but who knows?).

So, who wants to draw the first straw? :devil:

• Like 1

Who needs a lottery? I'd go in a heart beat. Rofl would be more wary about playing in China then going in to the old tomb.

"But, at the same time, nobody wants to be the first to get inside because of the mausoleum’s dangerous traps—they’re detailed in the same texts that recount its abundant riches."

it seems pretty obvious to me that if i was to build a tomb and cram if full of my riches, i would also tell everyone that its full of deadly traps so they dont steal my 5hit. its just a myth to keep light fingered people out.

Edited by Doctor manhattan

"But, at the same time, nobody wants to be the first to get inside because of the mausoleum’s dangerous traps—they’re detailed in the same texts that recount its abundant riches."

it seems pretty obvious to me that if i was to build a tomb and cram if full of my riches, i would also tell everyone that its full of deadly traps so they dont steal my 5hit. its just a myth to keep light fingered people out.

I do the same thing with the candy bowl on my desk at work. I believe that they'd bend the truth to protect the treasures, but I wouldn't want to risk someone's life to find out, if someone volunteers, go for it.

Apparently the Chinese gov are being very cautious about all the gear in there..

there was a tomb they opened up in the late 60's.. show cased everything in it.. but did not really know how to preserve it properly so it basically decayed and fell apart..

they will do parts of it very slowly and make sure they have the right tech to preserve it items.. it will end up costing them billions..

• Like 1

Its going to be very interesting to see what treasures/artifacts are in there...seeing as they compared it to Tutankhamen's tomb.... but only time will tell...

but when the initial investigations revealed the sheer scale of the findings (see image) such amazing figures and all different, the mind can only wonder what riches/treasures and texts are yet to be excavated

post-135078-0-60895900-1356907251_thumb.

link for more images and info

http://worldamazingplaces.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/mystery-of-qin-shi-huangdis-mausoleum.html

Edited by seeder

• 5 weeks later...

What wusses, I've been waiting for this tomb to be opened forever! Stick on some hazmat suits, use scanning technology and simple cautiousness going through in case of traps and salvage that sucker. Hell, I'll go in. A suit should keep everyone safe from the mercury, and it needs to be drained anyway since its getting into the water.

• Like 1

Someone else said that it might cost billions to explore and retrieve objects from this tomb. After which, you have some invaluable artifacts that would have to remain in the hands of the State. In otherwords, you now how have 'priceless' objects that you'll also be forever indebted to maintain.

The State however, being Communist, is slow to move. Considering the cost of the retreival and the future maintenance costs of the artifacts that glorify a non-communist past, coupled with the modern problems that China faces...

I don't think that it'll happen anytime soon. :) Perhaps in our lifetime.

Someone else said that it might cost billions to explore and retrieve objects from this tomb. After which, you have some invaluable artifacts that would have to remain in the hands of the State. In otherwords, you now how have 'priceless' objects that you'll also be forever indebted to maintain.

The State however, being Communist, is slow to move. Considering the cost of the retreival and the future maintenance costs of the artifacts that glorify a non-communist past, coupled with the modern problems that China faces...

I don't think that it'll happen anytime soon. :) Perhaps in our lifetime.

Yeah, and I heard the big problem was that we didn't have the technology to open it w/o damage. I understand if another 10 years is needed for technology to catch up and money to be raised for the opening. They could get the money- lots of people want to see this tomb opened. Causes for much stupider things have raised millions.

Still, if this isn't opened in my lifetime I'm gon flip

Waiting 100 years or, as some people suggest, FOREVER is awful and dumb and stupid.

My goal in life is to go see the beautiful museum that encompasses the opened tomb, showing artifacts and taking you on a tour to see inside. I guess I just need to live as long as possible. I'm only 19, so even if I die at 70 they have 51 years to move their butts.

Ok, I have to live to 100. Surely it will be open in 81 years!

• Like 1

Ok, I have to live to 100. Surely it will be open in 81 years!

Okay. Maybe within your lifetime, probably not within mine.

"Good things come to those who wait." :)

I thought China had enough poor to march them into the sea forever and they would never run out? So, march a couple into the Tomb... :innocent:

Seriously, I hope they are able to get in and record everything. The description of what it is Supposed to look like is Amazing.

I do the same thing with the candy bowl on my desk at work. I believe that they'd bend the truth to protect the treasures, but I wouldn't want to risk someone's life to find out, if someone volunteers, go for it.

let's see.. possible mercury poisoning / Wrath of Hasina .. ya, i'd go with the tomb entry.

It would be great to 'see' what's in there though.

let's see.. possible mercury poisoning / Wrath of Hasina .. ya, i'd go with the tomb entry.

It would be great to 'see' what's in there though.

Agreed.

You first, lightly. :w00t:

• Like 1

Wasn't there a legend or curse that said if you disturbed the tomb, the First sovereign emperor would awaken and conquer the world or something to that effect?

If you recall, Chin was not a very nice guy...he terrified the people and was a brutal sovereign. There were those so afraid of his possible "return" they chose to leave his tomb in peace...just in case.

I read that years ago...long before the poorly made movie "Mummy part 3 - tomb of the dragon emperor" or whatever nonsense that was....

Edited by Jeremiah65

I wanna have traps in my tomb. How cool would that be?

The planet is so overpopulated now that they just excavate and re-dig new graves over old ones.

But just WAIT 'til they get to mine!

They'd better hope they're union!