Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great white gobbled by an even bigger shark

Still Waters

Being hooked by a fisherman is probably up there with the worst things that could happen to a shark. But what about becoming bait for an even bigger beast as you're being hauled into the boat?

This was the fate of a poor great white in New Zealand this week.

And a spectacular photograph of the encounter, which shows Charles Darwin's survival of the fittest - or perhaps biggest - theory in action, has taken the web by storm after it was posted on Reddit.

http://www.dailymail...rmans-boat.html

Thats pretty neat...however, to me those do not look like Great Whites..

A few people in the comments are saying it's 2 blue tip sharks.

I don't know enough about sharks to say for certain what kind they are. I just thought it was an interesting piece of news and as someone commented, I believe it's rare to see one shark go after another shark like that.

The second one looks like a great white to me.It's freeking hhhuuggeee too .

I feel sorry for the poor guy on the line.......( the shark )

What a way to go.....

• Like 2

I believe it's rare to see one shark go after another shark like that.

The shark probably just sensed a struggling animal splashing around on the surface so went for it. Same reason they get humans sometimes by mistake. You cna see int he picture it has it's eye rolled back so must have came in fast and probably didn't know it's target until after it had taken a bite.

According to the article the little once of a school shark and the big one is a blue shark abbot 2 meters long and sharks don't discriminate, they eat other sharks too.

Two species. Therefore not cannibalism. Also dangling the smaller shark as bait smacks of animal cruelty.

Doubtful the man was dangling the shark as bait; it is not easy to land a struggling shark. When you catch a fish it struggles on the line and the struggle is correctly interpreted by a predator as an easy meal. I have had fish on the line cut in half by barracuda before we could land them, and you only end up with a fish head on your line.

looks like a school shark being eaten by a blue shark (possibly, teeth look too small for a great white to me anyways). rather common in new zealand apparently. great white eating a great white though? lol.

Apparently the School Shark hasn't had enough schooling to learn to avoid being eaten. lol

Ah.. the Daily Mail.. :cry:

Great White? my backside...

As I've mentioned before, I used to run a marine research centre in Port Lincoln, South Australia - one of the best places to find these magnificent but STOCKY creatures:

250px-White_shark.jpg

I know exactly what Great Whites look like - and neither of those in the OP link are anything like GW's, especially not that tiny pup on the line..

• Like 1

Pretty obvious at a glance that neither shark is a Great White. Looking closely at the jaws of the larger shark makes this abundantly clear. The article did a very poor job reporting on the facts.

If you actually read the article there is no mention of a "Great White".

Yes there is....... From the article -

The larger shark, also a Great White, had obviously decided he'd be the one to gobble the fish up.

Yes there is....... From the article -

The larger shark, also a Great White, had obviously decided he'd be the one to gobble the fish up.

I'm referring to the original article from the "Sydney Morning Herald" in Australia.

The Mail just put Great White into their article to vamp the story up.