Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horror Remakes Discussion

RebelInsanity

Rob Z Halloween remakes SUCKED BIGTIME.

CORRECTION. They were different. That's why I like them.

I love Zombie's revision. Although, I have grown a tad bit tired seeing Sheri Moon as the lead in every single movie of his now.

I think that the only reason why they make remakes is the fear that new material won't catch on, and that older films will be forgotten. So it might be a mix of that, and the fact that they want more of an income.

LMAO shes the dudes wife he probably feels obligated to cast her in his movies. I didnt like the Sequal to Rob Zombies halloween though, I mean in the first one he tells Michaels story in more detail then it was mentioned in the previous films, But with the sequal to it I feel like he rushed it and honestly I dont feel a sequal was needed. But with all slasher movies the killer never really changes that much just his victims do.

CORRECTION. They were different. That's why I like them.

The original Michael Myers was a "ghost" a boogeyman...... RZ ruined that. He turned MM into some roughneck on steroids. Even the classic mask was lost. All thats left are the names.

Thats why I hate the new ones.

The original Michael Myers was a "ghost" a boogeyman...... RZ ruined that. He turned MM into some roughneck on steroids. Even the classic mask was lost. All thats left are the names.

Thats why I hate the new ones.

I didnt think MM was an actual ghost, I think the only reason he had supernatural powers was because of the curse the people put on him when he was a baby, not sure though

I didnt think MM was an actual ghost, I think the only reason he had supernatural powers was because of the curse the people put on him when he was a baby, not sure though

Not a ghost "ghost"...... Like John Carpenter described him - "almost a supernatural force - a force of nature. An evil force that's loose," a force that is "unkillable.

Very far from RZ Myers.

Hey guys. Newest trailer for Evil Dead just hit yesterday...

Now, I am even more excited than I was when I first made this post.

Rob Z Halloween remakes SUCKED BIGTIME.

Rob Z is a bad film-maker period. He ruined John Carpenter's classic.

He goes for the desaturated retro-trash stuff using ultraviolence in his other films.

H1KC & The Devil's Rejects is basically an updated amalgam of John A Russo's 1982 slasher Midnight and Tobe Hooper's 1974/1986 Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies with a makeover. It even has the same revenge story as TCM 2.

Zombie has no originality.

Edited by Ambush Bug

Hey guys. Newest trailer for Evil Dead just hit yesterday...

Now, I am even more excited than I was when I first made this post.

[media=]

[/media]

WOW that preview was a gore fest !!!

WOW that preview was a gore fest !!!

Definitely got me even more excited for the movie...

Rob Z is a bad film-maker period. He ruined John Carpenter's classic.

He goes for the desaturated retro-trash stuff using ultraviolence in his other films.

H1KC & The Devil's Rejects is basically an updated amalgam of John A Russo's 1982 slasher Midnight and Tobe Hooper's 1974/1986 Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies with a makeover. It even has the same revenge story as TCM 2.

Zombie has no originality.

I, honestly, could have made a better remake. xD

But I thought it was pretty good.

And, even though I loves 1K and TDR, it was alot like TCM.

But he didn't ruin Carpenter's classic. He actually reinvented it and made it his own, as sloppy as it was done.

But Carpenter's movie is still there. Its not like that movie was made to replace it.

The main reason I have started to dislike RZ is the fact he uses almost all the same people in his movies. He needs to realize there's more of a population than just his wife and friends. xD

Edited by little.wolf96

I, honestly, could have made a better remake. xD

But I thought it was pretty good.

And, even though I loves 1K and TDR, it was alot like TCM.

But he didn't ruin Carpenter's classic. He actually reinvented it and made it his own, as sloppy as it was done.

But Carpenter's movie is still there. Its not like that movie was made to replace it.

The main reason I have started to dislike RZ is the fact he uses almost all the same people in his movies. He needs to realize there's more of a population than just his wife and friends. xD

Well Carpenter's Halloween is regarded a classic, Zombie's Halloween never will.

Carpenter's Halloween was once the highest grossing independent film ever until The Blair Witch Project dethroned it in 1999.

With that, Zombie's Halloween is but a small footnote as it deserves to be as Carpenter has more talent in his pinkie finger than Zombie will ever hope to have. Zombie took the story of the Myers and Loomis and turned it into a white trailer trash. He turned Myer's mother into a stripper and his stepdad into a abusive drunk. Whereas in Carpenter's vision they appeared to represent the white middle class and that Michael Myers was basically born evil. Not a product of his evironment that was bullied by his classmates a la Zombie's Halloween. This film really started the slasher craze with multitudes of knock-offs representing every Holiday attempting to profit off the SUCCESS of Halloween. And for a couple of years, the slasher genre did bank on the box office until the genre became exhausted and cliched and a laughable parody unto itself. Black Christmas can be considered an earlier slasher before Halloween but it did have its critical success nor its influence.

Zombie basically didnt reinvent Halloween, he crapped on it.

And yes, Sherri Moon Zombie is a terrible actress! :td:

• 2 months later...

Well Carpenter's Halloween is regarded a classic, Zombie's Halloween never will.

Carpenter's Halloween was once the highest grossing independent film ever until The Blair Witch Project dethroned it in 1999.

With that, Zombie's Halloween is but a small footnote as it deserves to be as Carpenter has more talent in his pinkie finger than Zombie will ever hope to have. Zombie took the story of the Myers and Loomis and turned it into a white trailer trash. He turned Myer's mother into a stripper and his stepdad into a abusive drunk. Whereas in Carpenter's vision they appeared to represent the white middle class and that Michael Myers was basically born evil. Not a product of his evironment that was bullied by his classmates a la Zombie's Halloween. This film really started the slasher craze with multitudes of knock-offs representing every Holiday attempting to profit off the SUCCESS of Halloween. And for a couple of years, the slasher genre did bank on the box office until the genre became exhausted and cliched and a laughable parody unto itself. Black Christmas can be considered an earlier slasher before Halloween but it did have its critical success nor its influence.

Zombie basically didnt reinvent Halloween, he crapped on it.

And yes, Sherri Moon Zombie is a terrible actress! :td:

Wow..i agree totally..lol..I honestly could not have said it better..the only other thing I would add is who the hell is giving a hillbilly like RZ money to make these movies?,,And arent all his movies including himself white trash?? Edited by Labobio

Wow..i agree totally..lol..I honestly could not have said it better..the only other thing I would add is who the hell is giving a hillbilly like RZ money to make these movies?,,And arent all his movies including himself white trash??

I agree. I have never enjoyed any of his movies. Too trashy and loud, with all the overplayed 70s radio rock classics blaring and bloody gore in all its desaturated glory. They are literally eyesores and definitely not the cult classics they ripped off and pretend to be. They're just like a musician... ahem ... trying to be a no-talent horror director.

Edited by B Jenkins

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but I really enjoyed Evil Dead and its sequels. The trailer isn't making me interested, though. What I really loved about Evil Dead was the comedy. The cliche horror with Bruce Campbell's over the top facial expressions. What I see in the remake is an attempt at turning it into a full-blown horror without that comedic element. I think I'll pass

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but I really enjoyed Evil Dead and its sequels. The trailer isn't making me interested, though. What I really loved about Evil Dead was the comedy. The cliche horror with Bruce Campbell's over the top facial expressions. What I see in the remake is an attempt at turning it into a full-blown horror without that comedic element. I think I'll pass

So true, but if you recall the original Evil Dead was straight horror with no comic elements either. It wasn't until Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn that the comedy surfaced.

The remake looks extremely ... violent. I think its director is purposely pushing the envelope in that direction. Am I sold? No. Am I abit curious? Only if its guaranteed to scare me.

All modern horror remakes are derivative and pointless although I haven't seen them all.

The only good remake I can think of which did justice to the original was the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. If the original didn't exist it would be a classic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100258/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Very underrated.

• Like 1

So true, but if you recall the original Evil Dead was straight horror with no comic elements either. It wasn't until Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn that the comedy surfaced.

The remake looks extremely ... violent. I think its director is purposely pushing the envelope in that direction. Am I sold? No. Am I abit curious? Only if its guaranteed to scare me.

Perhaps it was just cheesy 80's effects, but I thought Evil Dead was hilarious. One possibility is that I haven't seen Evil Dead. I thought I had but as I think about it, perhaps it was part 2 that I saw. But the images in the video of the opening post reminded me of what I had seen, so you never know.

Perhaps it was just cheesy 80's effects, but I thought Evil Dead was hilarious. One possibility is that I haven't seen Evil Dead. I thought I had but as I think about it, perhaps it was part 2 that I saw. But the images in the video of the opening post reminded me of what I had seen, so you never know.

Man watch it. It's on Netflix or DVDs for probably five bucks.

Whatever the remake does whether it's gory, funny, remake, all or none it's got some mighty big shoes to fill. It had better impress.

• Like 1

Just a second on Rob Zombie so the thread isnt derailed... check out the trailer of his newest horror venture, The Lords Of Salem. It appears to be an absolute trainwreck, once again stars his wife Sherri but this time around Rob Zombie has a role in it as well. Well, that's enough for now. I don't want to turn this into a Rob Zombie thread.

All modern horror remakes are derivative and pointless although I haven't seen them all.

The only good remake I can think of which did justice to the original was the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. If the original didn't exist it would be a classic.

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Very underrated.

Remakes should always be few and far inbetween. Dont like em either. I wished I had a list of all the horror remakes made through 2000s to 2010s.

• Like 1

Just a second on Rob Zombie so the thread isnt derailed... check out the trailer of his newest horror venture, The Lords Of Salem. It appears to be an absolute trainwreck, once again stars his wife Sherri but this time around Rob Zombie has a role in it as well. Well, that's enough for now. I don't want to turn this into a Rob Zombie thread.

I absolutely agree. I saw the trailer for Lords of Salem, and I couldn't help but to laugh.

The cinematography was good and ONLY that. The story seems to be so overplayed and the acting so cliche and terrible, I just wanted to punch him in the face. I lost all respect for him as a director after I saw that preview.

On another note, the remake of Evil Dead just premiered at the SXSW film festival, and so far it has gotten excellent reviews.

More so, that within the first twenty-four hours of its release, it got a rating of 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, and is continuing to wow critics.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_evil_dead_2013/

Now, the critics at RT are extremely harsh, and are well known to pick and pull apart each individual movie, bringing many flaws to light and whatnot. But with a rating like that that is continuing to grow, I am sure this remake will surely be promising.

By the way, Sam Raimi hand picked this director. There was no process in which steps were taken.

He physically went out and picked someone, unknown as a director, and made him famous after admiring his style of filmmaking.

The whole reason Fede Alvarez got big was after a short film of his on Youtube became viral.