Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Yowie Episode

Q-C

Further, this is not a local discussion topic or of any mainstream interest here whatsoever. I was a bit surprised to hear of this, although having heard what these jokers do to make money (cough) ... well, say no more!

I believe this has been mentioned, I mean, I know I mentioned it also, when it comes to the Pacific Northwest......No one here talks of this crud, and no one here has interest in it.

If, and I mean very rare, someone brings up bigfoot, it is in a jokingly manner.

But hey, ask any of the research groups, and they are everywhere here.

I so want to go to one of BFRO's " town hall meetings"

.....The segment would not make tv.

This was our first attempt at finding bigfoot last night. It was surprisingly effective. Can't take credit as it was Bobo's idea.

Can you count the number of giant curious party crashers lurking about? If you listen carefully you can hear them too!

I’d have posted on the Trail Cam thread but didn’t want upstage anyone with my foots.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Now I ask that you don't bring me into crap like this, from the tiny bits of this show I've seen they're a bunch of morons. Like I said I don't need it and while trying to make me look like a liar would surely make you happy I'll report you straight away if you start up again.

???

I was asking for your input here, Tia. That is all. I am aware that you do not wish to discuss your claims outside of a very limited context and I will respect that. I still think you have much to offer in regards to the broader understanding of the Yowie/Bigfoot phenomenon so if/when you are ready then I will be all ears...

Hope 2013 is better for you.

This was our first attempt at finding bigfoot last night. It was surprisingly effective. Can't take credit as it was Bobo's idea.

Can you count the number of giant curious party crashers lurking about? If you listen carefully you can hear them too!

I’d have posted on the Trail Cam thread but didn’t want upstage anyone with my foots.

I hope others get this, I did !!!!!

:nw::clap::tsu:

I believe this has been mentioned, I mean, I know I mentioned it also, when it comes to the Pacific Northwest......No one here talks of this crud, and no one here has interest in it.

If, and I mean very rare, someone brings up bigfoot, it is in a jokingly manner.

Unless you know ALL the people in a region then I think it is unfair to say that no-one talks of Bigfoot or has any interest in it because, inevitably, some individuals and their social circles in any region DO talk about Bigfoot and DO have a serious interest in the subject. Unless you are socially connected to these individuals and groups then it will certainly appear that no-one in the region talks about it. However, the flipside is that if you are socially connected to such individuals and groups then it will certainly appear that all or most people in the region are into Bigfoot and the like.

It is a matter of perception and it is why Yowie/Bigfoot is both everywhere and nowhere. Everything we think we know about Yowie/Bigfoot largely comes from these individuals and their social groupings. Every region has them. They are not bad folk (no worse than anyone else), they are colourful and provide a valuable function to the broader society by cultivating a sense of wonder, awe, and enchantment about the immediate world around us. Myths are important to us and how better to cultivate the myth than by living it and experiencing it!

“thump” which was possibly a heavy wood knock

“ambiguous noises” “maybe some wood knocks”

Heard things moving in and out of the brush. Kangaroos?

Cliff heard (2) clap responses to his handclaps. They heard a roar or yell which resulted in the usual surprised look on their faces but not a big deal made of it. Heard something large moving in and out of the tree line. Heard a snag (dead tree) tear down.

heard dingos

Bobo heard “talking” “wasn’t English” “no language I ever heard” “maybe two of them”

Yowie? If you believe so then such events become powerful personal experiences infused with meaning and the story grows in significance for the relevant social circles. For everyone else these are simply mundane occurances within the Australian bush at night...

Unless you know ALL the people in a region then I think it is unfair to say that no-one talks of Bigfoot or has any interest in it because, inevitably, some individuals and their social circles in any region DO talk about Bigfoot and DO have a serious interest in the subject. Unless you are socially connected to these individuals and groups then it will certainly appear that no-one in the region talks about it. However, the flipside is that if you are socially connected to such individuals and groups then it will certainly appear that all or most people in the region are into Bigfoot and the like..

Good point, and actually I almost edited to " most ", or " most that I have come across ".

The town I live in, Langlois, is very small. Actually Bandon, Port Orford also. ( 2 nearest towns, nothing in between ).

My point is, very small towns, everyone knows everyone. I have discussed it being a newbie living here the last 4 years, with everyone I have met. In Reno, seeing things on TV and such, people in " bigger cities " get the impression places like this would have talk all over about it. Thing is, the closer you get, the less " belief" there seems to be.

I can not in anyway say I know everyone, but I do know enough loggers, hunters, fisherman, ranchers, etc. to know out of a very large group of people, with generations of family here, only 2 people have mentioned it being a possibility. The rest laughed, and mentioned what I am saying.

Edit to add :

Have to add this. We live on 34 acres, nothing around us east, north, or south. Beyond the 34 acres east is all forest. Today I have been spending time on Bigfoot things, and my wife just called me out as the dogs were barking. She sits on the back deck a lot, and is familiar with the noises out here. She said there was a scream, louder and higher pitched then she has ever heard. She said almost like a Gueorilla....I said " Bigfoot ", she laughed.

I am putting on my boots and head lamp, and heading out....And my 12 gauge.

:)

Edited by Sakari

I've only ever heard of the Yowie from the internet and international TV. Never heard about it locally.

I think there's a good chance it was just a tall tale the Aborigines told the early colonists to keep them away. I remember reading somewhere that they told stories of monsters and dangers. Especially when the Gold Rush started and many people started flocking inland.

• Like 1

Aren't they called Yowies, because when a Drop Bear lands on one, they scream.... YOOOWWWIIIIIIEEEEE!

• Like 6

Let us once again dismiss the notion that these thing are rare and reside in the most secluded parts of the Northwestern United States.

Obviously we have breeding populations of Sasquatch and similar type creatures practically world wide. I'm not a mathematician, but one would have to estimate that there are hundreds of thousands of these creatures at a minimum.

So just think about some of the endangered creatures that you know of. In some cases there are a few hundred or a couple thousand left in the wild. But yet you can find thousands of crystal clear photographs of them on the internet, volumes of research about them, and pretty much everyone knows they exist.

hmmmm.

• Like 3

Me too. Maybe I should start a Finding Bigfoot Anonymous? I can meet any night but Sunday....

My husband isn't in to this stuff at all so I thought I'd treat him to the Yowie episode.

Laughing your butt off after surgery, ain't cool :no:

He made more noises than Bobo!

Lol!

In a separate incident, a man reported what he believed to be a Yowie that showed up after he and group of friends finished stargazing. Due to lack of room in the home – and the fact that he was a loud snorer – the witness chose to sleep in his vehicle in the yard. He allegedly awoke in the middle of the night to his car being shaken. He claims to have been jolted from his sleep and thrown around inside the vehicle.

Initially, the witness thought his buddies were playing a prank on him, but soon observed a massive dark creature shaking his car. Reportedly, several of his friends observed the dark creature, which they believe was a Yowie, and yelled to scare it away. The next morning when they investigated the vehicle, two indentations that appear to correspond to the impression that were be left by “elbows” or forearms were found in the top of the vehicle.

Recreations by the “Finding Bigfoot” team indicated that it took three people to shake the car with the same force the man experienced in the middle of the night. Although no evidence was uncovered, the team concluded that due to the fact that there are no bears or other animals capable of standing and shaking a vehicle, the mysterious creature must have been a Yowie. The team theorized that the Yowie reached across the top of the vehicle and grasped the opposing side as he shook the vehicle.

The “Finding Bigfoot” team explained that although the American Bigfoot is not typically aggressive or violent, there have been reported cases when it has shaken vehicles.

http://www.examiner....owies-australia

No doubt the man comes across as sincere.

So did George Gray. In 1976 Gray appeared on national daytime TV with Rex Gilroy to relate how he was accosted by a strange hairy bipedal creature in his hut in the remote logging community of Kookaburra one night in 1968. Gilroy, who investigated the case, was convinced the culprit was a Yowie.

Gray was sincere because he actually was accosted that night by something hairy and bipedal - one of his workmates dressed in a fur coat. Gray, who died later never knowing the truth, was the victim of a prank which was well-known and concealed by his workmates who enjoyed a chuckle at Gray's expense - a not uncommon occurrence. The nature of what actually happened wasn't revealed until 2009 when a local historian was collecting information and stories about those old logging communities.

Why did no-one think to interview anyone other than George Gray when "investigating" the case? Probably for the same reason as no-one is seriously investigating the circumstances around this "car shaken by a Yowie" incident: Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Reportedly, several of his friends observed the dark creature, which they believe was a Yowie, and yelled to scare it away.

"It wasn't us, mate. The Yowie did it!"

The Yowie is such a good story...

• Like 1

I also noticed this would make the Yowie very large. Same as the other eyewitness (the guy with the goats)

Yet I thought Yowie was described with more "human" proportions?

Yowie's (Kilroy) statue sure appears to be quite a bit less bulk and girth and muscle and height than our sasquatches.

I'm surprised that this show has a big following. I downloaded the seasons and started to watch it for lack of anything else important to do, like taking a poop or watching the snow fall.

Anyways, *every* episode I watch goes like this :

The group starts off by going to an alleged squatch location, run around it for 20 minutes and may or may not get a few howls, wood knocks or sightings. Instead of being quiet (because apparently bigfoot is really spooked by loud noises and that would make sense), the team either starts stomping through the woods like a pack of idiots, talking loud like they're at a party trying to be heard, or they move/don't move and lose the sound/video. One episode has Matt sitting in a hunters camp in a tree with the parabolic dish "Oh I heard something"...instead of using the dish he jumps down, sounding like a bag of bricks falling out of the tree, and stumbles around like a drunk...10 minutes later "Oh I lost it"

After their initial hullaballoo, they get the local community together, draw some points on a map, then plan where to proceed (always to the center of the area that they triangulate). (Very seldom they show more than 3 points on the map). They proceed to get a few walkthroughs and stories by several people before they do their night time hunt. Never in the day...only at night.

EVERY episode they get wood knocking, howls or rocks tossed at them. Occasionally finding footprints, skeletons of animals (omg twisted apart! Not like when bones dry they crack apart like a rock and don't splinter usually), broken trees.

Matt and Bobo see stuff and are convinced that there are bigfoot everywhere (wow squatches ever-where erhmagerd!). Ranae wouldn't believe in bigfoot if one was mounted on her in an orgy of lust...even footprints that are clear she craps on. Cliff seems to be the most rational most of the time.

Matt Moneymaker is an idiot, he constantly contradicts himself and runs the group like Hitler, and claims himself a expert. Ranae usually shoots everything down as the sceptic (keeps the rest level). Bobo...comedy relief? Cliff sits in between them all, but he has his moments of retardation or mental clarity.

I'm surprised that this show has a big following. I downloaded the seasons and started to watch it for lack of anything else important to do, like taking a poop or watching the snow fall.

Anyways, *every* episode I watch goes like this :

*snip*

My my. So critical! :td:

No, just kidding! :tu:

Yep, it is as formulaic and useless as they come! But addicting for some of us. :whistle:

But then again I didn't mind at all my root canal or having my 4 wisdom teeth cut out and was fully awake for both. :yes:

Good of a topic as any to post this. And not sure why I never really noticed before.

Anyone that know Deer, and have been around them enough......

Today I was out back, had about 9 Deer around. Some went off into the trees, some stayed around. As I walked around, a few were snorting, and it hit me.....

It sounded exactly like " tree knocks ". Especially the ones you hear on these shows. I could just imagine if it were night and dead quiet, and the echoing of this noise.

Why do Deer do this?.....They seem to do it when spooked a bit, to let other Deer know they are around, and / or to communicate with there offspring. Of course if you go out at night and bang on trees, Deer will get spooked, move around, and snort at each other......

" listen, we just had a answer "

Dumb assses......

They stomp too as a warning. Not sure how loud that gets. Or if someone might mistake it for some bf behavior.

Edited by QuiteContrary

They stomp too as a warning. Not sure how loud that gets. Or if someone might mistake it for some bf behavior.

There is another topic where I posted a woodpecker.....Ah hell....

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that there's a sasquatch (or wildman of some type) in the forests of the world. There's even local tales here in Nova Scotia (some are friggin creepy). I was followed off to the side off the road when I was a teenager, whatever it was, it was big. I wasn't into bigfoot then, but a few years after that, the stomping, the breathing...if it wasn't a samsquantch then I'm not sure what it was. It was after this that I heard the story of an old guy that lived in a camp on the north mountain that was found with his head torn off and missing. Just recently there was a woman that spotted something huge in the woods, made her call the police she was so scared.

My brother has found huge footprints in the woods, some people attribute it to a bear, but I've seen bear footprints many times, these didn't look like them. He put it on YouTube.

QC, we are meant to have 3 types of HGs in Australia.

The most common being around 6ft to 8ft, then we have the 9ft to 12ft ones and little ones about 4ft tall that are meant to hang out in groups and be quite nasty. They have names for each type but bugger if I can remember them.

• 7 months later...

QC, we are meant to have 3 types of HGs in Australia.

The most common being around 6ft to 8ft, then we have the 9ft to 12ft ones and little ones about 4ft tall that are meant to hang out in groups and be quite nasty. They have names for each type but bugger if I can remember them.

Dooligarl (or some variation), Quinken, and Junjadee (Brown Jacks)...

Latest Yowie News:

Dean Harrison http://www.yowiehunters.com.au/ and Gary Opit http://garyopit.com/ deserve full credit for discovering How Brett Green Hoaxed his photos for his booklet "Yowie Tales".

Brett Green serial hoaxer is selling a book "Yowie Tales" at the end of this page.

http://www.shop.egym...om.au/cdbuy/...

This video shows the frame grabs Green stole in b/w and the original frames from the BBC show in color.

Walking With Beasts-Next of kin-Episode 4-Next of Kin

2001 six part series.BBC

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-16iILm33k

The following time codes from the BBC episode show which frames Green stole and what he did with the frames.

8.17 Family On Rock.Green photo given to one of us before the book launch.Green was going to use this in the second book.

9.26 Two Yowies Facing away on Rock-Green photo given to one of us before the book launch.Green was going to use this in the second book.

10.51 Walking Slim Male On Right-Page 113 in Yowie Tales.

11.42 Face-The Face was on the cover of "Yowie tales Book 1"+page 113.

Face photo was used on page 2 and under the photo was the text.'Cover Image Illustration © B J Green.'

Pages 51/52/53 "Yowie Tales" Green describes taking the photos used in "Yowie Tales".

[media=]

[/media]

On topic: The episode showed an investigation of a bloke who was sleeping inside his car when a Yowie began shaking it from outside - here is his blog: The Australian Ape Project

I offered my services as "resident skeptic" or to independently verify their claims but was declined...

On topic: The episode showed an investigation of a bloke who was sleeping inside his car when a Yowie began shaking it from outside - here is his blog: The Australian Ape Project

I offered my services as "resident skeptic" or to independently verify their claims but was declined...

Yes, the visiting Finding Bigfoot team talked to the man and tried to recreate the car shaking. I can't remember their conclusion.

I can't remember their conclusion.

Same conclusion as all ways.......Was a Bigfoot.

Yes, the visiting Finding Bigfoot team talked to the man and tried to recreate the car shaking. I can't remember their conclusion.

"no normal man could that done that, must have been a squatch!".

"no normal man could that done that, must have been a squatch!".

Yeah, iidk, I'm thinking it was something about Bobo's arms not being long enough to reach side to side across the top of the car, like the beast would have to shake it that night.

Humans! Pffft...

Yeah, the guys don't let details like evidence or rather the lack of it stop them from claiming it was a Bigfoot. If they did they wouldn't have a show.