Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Martin Mystère

M3Gr1ml0ck

Hello,

I just joined in order to talk about the Italian comic book Martin Mystère (Wikipedia link), which is all about unsolved Mysteries of the past, the present and the future.

Martin Mystère, the Detective of the Impossible, has a 30-years long continuity that explored the secrets of the alternative history (Atlantis, Mu and many other lost civilizations), the paranormal, the UFOs and much more.

The loyal and devote fandom developed a fair amount of fancomics to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the character: the main comics are in Italian, but five of them have beentranslated in English. These stories feature the Crystal Skull, two Atlantean Androids/Golems, the Wold Newton Universe connection and the Men in Black.

The comics are written in a funny/ironic style, but they are not paroidies: their plots are actually crafted in order to fit the continuity (and even fix various flaws!).

In the following months, more comics will come, and this time they will be deadly serious, facing topics like the Spheres of Ottosdal, the Mohenjo Daro civilization and more.

We hope that this may be of some interest for this forum!

• Like 1

Ofcourse it does. I read all Martin Mystere that was published. Well that was published in Yugoslavia and later Croatia.

Great!

I'm currently working on a plot featuring "Noah's Ark" (from the earliest issues: I want to link that Atlantean ark to the Burckle Crater theory (which I find incredibly fascinating).

Lately, though, the official MM comics have been following a different creative direction: it seems that Martin is becoming a representative of the CICAP (Italian Committee for the Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal), being totally skeptic about every new mystery and living "adventures" that deny those mysterirs. For instance, the 2012 Mayan Prophecy was totally unsubstantial in the December issue; and the Chemtrails conspiracy theory turned out to be completely made up by the Men In Black for no real reasons.

Africa is popular in these days. I dont know do we have evidences for comet hiting near Madagascar but I can asure you that Klerksdorp spheres are natural made.

Btw, Im glad that you came here and do hope you will stay. I even have had avatar of Martin and his mongolian friend. I do hope that new releases will be published in Croatia.

Nothing wrong being sceptic. Im thankfull for Martin and to my worryless childhood. Martin is true hero.

Edited by the L

Cant wait to see about Mohenjo Daro. Would that be about Lothal, Harappa, Dholavira or just about Mohenjo Daro?

I was so sad when Bonelli died.

R.I.P.

Edited by the L

Cant wait to see about Mohenjo Daro. Would that be about Lothal, Harappa, Dholavira or just about Mohenjo Daro?

Just Mohenjo Daro: we can't risk too many "sagas", so we'll have to tell a 10-pages stories about the fables "first meeting with the mystery" of the young Martin, which took place there in 1973.

The Ottosdal Spheres and the Madagascar Meteor will be handled in an "alternate" way because we need some fantastic elements for the stories :)

I was so sad when Bonelli died.

Yes, it was a great loss: we like to think that he's still among us as his legacy carries on with the comics of his company.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I missed this one.

I also love Martin Mystere, especially the older books. The older books were centred around a ancient war between Atlantis and MU (analogy of the cold war), who destroyed the world and left the entire planet primitive, with few confused survivors. Many of his stories was centered around retriving ancient artifacts, mysterious bases and time capsules, just to lose everything in the last moment by the intervention of the MIB.

The newer ones are more centered around Italy and more moder day mysteries, like chemtrails or 2012. The clash of civilitations lost the importance during the 90's thanks to the dissolution of the USSR. But beside that its a good serie, and I reccomend it to everybody :-)

• Like 2

I have to agree about how fascinating the whole Atlantis/Mu concept was, and this is also why our fancomics are trying to reveal untold details about that age: the Hollow Earth origins, or the Sardinian Orichalcum statues; more Mu tales will come with the Ottosdal Spheres and the African dinosaurs, all of them related to the official continuity.

The Italian Mysteries saga came to an end and was very focused on our country, but at least it featured its fair share of Atlantis/Mu artifacts and time capsules.

After that, the series explored some fascinating literary "mysteries", and even got Martin related to a pulp hero from the early 1900s (Docteur Mystère), which means that now Martin belongs to the Wold Newton Universe. We explored this facet as well, as we are working on a comic featuring Mohenjo Daro, lost weapons from Mu and a descendant of Quatermain.

The modern mysteries, I'm afraid, are the biggest letdown ever: in its latest books, Martin has become the ultimate sceptic, and his goal is to dismantle mysteries in CICAP style, which is just plain sad: if he proves that mysteries are not mysteries, but just big deceptions by the evil powers-that-be, then all the "sense of wonder" is removed from his series.

Sure, it's rational and logical, but it's also incredibly boring. I was never drawn to this series because it promised to tell real-life tales: I want to see lost worlds, impossible weapons, epic battles between gods and whatever!

By the way, this is our latest post, featuring character studies for "Mystery in Faenza": an Italan mystery that stems from an Atlantean ritual!

gal_studio_so_by_martin_mystere-d5sgmbm.jpg

Edited by M3Gr1ml0ck
  • Like 1

Yes that last part of the series was kinda unfortunate, although it appeals to the conspiracy crowd.

I look into your site, and now it is between my favorites. :-)

Yes that last part of the series was kinda unfortunate, although it appeals to the conspiracy crowd.

Not even them: if one of them reads the Chemtrails issues to the last page, then he'll realize that 160 pages have been used to prove that there is NO conspiracy at all. How long will they follow a series that denies their reason of life? :D

I look into your site, and now it is between my favorites. :-)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I'm glad that this topic exists. I still read him ( in Serbian and Italian ) and it opened many interesting mysteries that made me read more about these topics. Although, I slightly more like Dylan Dog, let me check if there is a topic about him.

Edited by TrumanB

Thanks for remembering me about this topic!

A few updates...

Get A Life (the fancomic miniseries NOT presented by Martin Mystère) presents: 

1) The Great Father of Sardinia (also known as Martin Mystère n. 80bis)

gal_53___great_father_of_sardinia___cover_by_martin_mystere-dcmxi50.png

The Great Mother is no more. The Giants of Mont'e Prama have been lying shattered for centuries. Who is left to protect the island and its inhabitants-- descendants of the Atlantean survivors-- from the assaults of Mu's automated armies?

The Timeless War ended with the destruction of Unit 112, first known as Robinson, and then revealed to be the true identity of Captain Nemo.

But is it really over, finished?

From the depths of the Mediterranean sea, another outfit of Mu's automated army rises.

2) Life in Prism (aka Martin Mystère n. 350bis)

gal_52___life_in_prism___cover_by_martin_mystere-dcnlwtc.png

Something is wrong, in the operation base from which the aliens known as Tuatha De Danaan overwatch the cyclical performance of the Gifts they brought to Earth 180 million years ago: the Hexagon Matrix turns on and off accordingly to contradictory patterns, the very appearance of the Tuatha changes from one moment to the next, and even the location of their base swings from Agarthi (on Earth) to a moon of Saturn!

Are the Tuatha De Danaan under attack?

3) Brainstorming.

episode_26__brainstorming___cover_by_martin_mystere_dcwylm5-250t.jpg

It had to happen: Martin Mystère meets a young Leonard da Vinci.

But how can this come to be without resorting to timetravel

Deviantart is cool. I have a profile there for many years. Will take a look. Reading in Italian is always a pleasure!