Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aliens

MissJatti

I mean there is more or less just random white noise up there, a generated or sent signal would be heard very loud. Like this one the signal was thirty times louder than background noises. Which means it was a clear and clean signal... And it was generated by something not natural... and it didnt came from earth.

I mean there is more or less just random white noise up there, a generated or sent signal would be heard very loud. Like this one the signal was thirty times louder than background noises. Which means it was a clear and clean signal... And it was generated by something not natural... and it didnt came from earth.

oh, very true, yes, that's what made people take notice of it. People say, "well, why haven't we heard it again"; but if someone was sending it out to all parts of the galaxy just to see if anyone responded, they wouldn't expect to hear anything back for a while, and neither would we expect to hear anything back from them for a while.

• Like 1

oh, very true, yes, that's what made people take notice of it. People say, "well, why haven't we heard it again"; but if someone was sending it out to all parts of the galaxy just to see if anyone responded, they wouldn't expect to hear anything back for a while, and neither would we expect to hear anything back from them for a while.

Suppose the 'wow signal' *does* sweep through the galaxy, and only passes our way at long intervals. Our chances of hearing it again aren't too good. We don't consistently listen to the correct point in space, at the same frequency. Efforts to reacquire the signal have been sporadic and brief. If we could discern some significance to the date on which the signal was heard, August 15th, 1977, perhaps we could work out the dates on which the signal would again pass our way. Failing that, the only way to thoroughly investigate this signal would be to have at least three radio observatories, about 120 degrees apart in longitude, each listening at the correct bearing and radio frequency for the 8 hours per day that the relevant point in the sky is well above their horizons. These wouldn't have to use particularly large receiving (dish) antennas, as the signal was very strong.

I though tthis was interesting, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal :

"the 1420 MHz signal is problematic in itself in that it is "protected spectrum": it is bandwidth in which terrestrial transmitters are forbidden to transmit due to it being reserved for astronomical purposes."

So could whoever have sent it have sent it on that frequency knowing that it wouldn't get lost in terrestrial clutter?! :unsure2:

• Like 1

I though tthis was interesting, from http://en.wikipedia....iki/Wow!_signal :

"the 1420 MHz signal is problematic in itself in that it is "protected spectrum": it is bandwidth in which terrestrial transmitters are forbidden to transmit due to it being reserved for astronomical purposes."

So could whoever have sent it have sent it on that frequency knowing that it wouldn't get lost in terrestrial clutter?! :unsure2:

That particular frequency is thought to be a logical one for SETI signals. It is the frequency of radio energy emitted by neutral hydrogen, the most common element in the universe. It is also near the point in the radio spectrum where there is the least noise from most natural sources in space. The Ohio State University radio observatory was listening for SETI signals on this frequency, for these very reasons.

It was established that the source of the wow signal was at least as distant as the Moon. it doesn't seem likely that a secret surveillance satellite from Earth was involved. This is impractically distant from Earth for such a satellite. It also seems that they wouldn't select such a conspicuous channel on which to transmit their secret work. Civilian research satellites at Lunar distance were considered, but none were found to be at that position, at that time. In any case they wouldn't transmit on a frequency reserved for listening.

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

Does it? When did it say that? I'm presuming you mean intelligent life, but even then, when does Religion specify that?

Modernized religions in general but if you go to the oldest writings there were different kinds of angels or djinn etc . Some messengers or angels were forces or energies of the universe , some were spiritual or "light" type of entities and some were described as looking like men and being physical enough to have children to women. Man was not the only life form when you read the ancient descriptions of of these beings, whether called demons, angels or even gods. Tells me there may have been another species here for a long time with abilities not understood by the natives who wrote about them.

Edited by White Unicorn

Suppose the 'wow signal' *does* sweep through the galaxy, and only passes our way at long intervals. Our chances of hearing it again aren't too good. We don't consistently listen to the correct point in space, at the same frequency. Efforts to reacquire the signal have been sporadic and brief. If we could discern some significance to the date on which the signal was heard, August 15th, 1977, perhaps we could work out the dates on which the signal would again pass our way. Failing that, the only way to thoroughly investigate this signal would be to have at least three radio observatories, about 120 degrees apart in longitude, each listening at the correct bearing and radio frequency for the 8 hours per day that the relevant point in the sky is well above their horizons. These wouldn't have to use particularly large receiving (dish) antennas, as the signal was very strong.

I'm quoting my own previous post, because I continued to work on the problem of the significance of the date on which the 'wow signal' was received.

I find that August 15th, 1977 and the first day of 1977 have 226 days between them. 226 days is also approximately the Phi ratio to the length of a full year, 365 &1/4 days. 226 days produces a much closer ratio than any other number of days. Coincidence? Perhaps. I'm not entirely certain. If our convention of when the civil year begins is actually referred to, then the ones doing the signaling would seem to know a good deal about us.

Is this, possibly, meant to indicate that the signal repeats at 226 day intervals? Again, I really couldn't say, though the idea is an intriguing one.

1st off all, I would like to thank all of those would read my post and replied, its been a pleasure reading them all. I thought people would make fun out of me But I never got answers that I really wanted. Do other people get a similar dream?, why do I get them?, Why does the dream keep coming back?, and what does it mean?.

It started like 10 or 11 years ago, maybe once a year, then it went to twice a year, and so on. Now I get them 3-4 times per year.

I’m not and Alien nerd, I don’t study them, the only contact I get with this subject is by watching movies such as independence Day, MIB and so on.

These dream that I get, are not ordinary dreams that I usually have. This dream feels so life like, so real that it really happens. I either get up in the middle of the night, confused and dazed, or I would get up in the morning, hot and sweaty, unable to breath, and takes a moment to realise I’m on my bed.

I feel these dream have a secret message with in them, which I cannot comprehend.

I believe I have not been abducted by aliens, and that I’m a skeptic on the subject all together.

Maybe the aliens are Earth creatures after all.

I know my original post was very scratchy, rough, notes. And because they were like notes, most readers got confused and misunderstood what I have written, and I do apologise..

If you people say so, I could write my original post in more details.

But today I would like to share my logic from my dream and the real world.

1. There is no reason why a “alien” spacecraft or “alien” equipments”, cannot be made on Earth, Earth has all the elements and materials to make an spacecraft. Some people have discovered a piece of the spacecraft that is not of this world. But at the same time scientists are still yet to discover new things 10000 below the sea or a few meters under the sand. We have not discovered everything on Earth.

2. Humans have inbeding deep in our minds and these beings are from outa space, its so deep in our minds, that we never stopped to think that they maybe from originally from Earth.

These beings became super intelligent earlier in their evolution, we humans can only use 10% of our brains, but these beings can use almost all tens of thousands years ago.

In my original post I stated humans evolved from primates on Earth, and so did the Aliens.

Look at the humans, some have pale skin, some dark skin, some brown.

Eye witness accounts of (so called aliens) saw some are green some grey and so on.

Scientist even concluded humans were huge and tall, stocky and hairy 80,000 years ago. Present day humans are less hairy, less stocky, and so on.. But scientist suggests human will become more thinner, less hairy, and less height, just like an alien.

I don’t really know, but there is some truth in my dream, some where?!!!!

Interpreting REM sleep dreams is a highly subjective process. If the dream-state is a gateway to anything at all, it is probably a gateway to current personal fears and desires, rather than to some sort of message "hidden" in our dreams just waiting to be decoded. The vast majority of "prophetic" dreams are probably coincidences. Such dreams are impressive to those who lack understanding of the law of truly large numbers , conformation bias and how memory works.

One would think that if dreaming were a gateway to the paranormal or supernatural, blind persons would not have their dream time restricted by their physical limitations any more than those with sight.

I have all sorts of wacky dreams that seems so real and are so clear that I sometimes feel like Im living in alternate universes. Back in the days I felt really special, almost chosen,...

These days I just go to bed looking forward to the next adventure.

Edited by Hazzard

For many belief in ET is like a religion in that no matter what the evidence en is shown via any method that they have not visited the earth there are those that refuse the obvious and accept the equivalent of "wine into blood" or "he had a talking donkey". I will stick with the scientific view. To me there have been no alien visitors to earth. I feel there are other intelligent beings out there but, not any capable of zipping across the vast distances. Of space for what seems like silly reasons we read about.

For many belief in ET is like a religion in that no matter what the evidence en is shown via any method that they have not visited the earth there are those that refuse the obvious and accept the equivalent of "wine into blood" or "he had a talking donkey". I will stick with the scientific view. To me there have been no alien visitors to earth. I feel there are other intelligent beings out there but, not any capable of zipping across the vast distances. Of space for what seems like silly reasons we read about.

There are evidences for alien visitation to earth but many were dismissed, rightly or wrongly. But I don't think there are any evidence to show they have not visited. If you feel there are intelligent beings out there, couldn't you go a step further and believe that some are capable of long distance travel? This just mean they are a little more intelligent than you think

• Like 1

There are evidences for alien visitation to earth but many were dismissed, rightly or wrongly. But I don't think there are any evidence to show they have not visited. If you feel there are intelligent beings out there, couldn't you go a step further and believe that some are capable of long distance travel? This just mean they are a little more intelligent than you think

If the evidence is genuine, it will stand alone. I really feel that a visit from ET will not be so ambiguous as is made out. Bloody heck, it's Sherlock Holmes Aliens!

Distance is ever increasing, we can never see the other side of the Universe, it is just plain to far away. Some space travel is possible with time dilation and length contraction, quite a bit actually (amazingly using these techniques we could reach the center of our Galaxy in a mere 12 years! But nobody on earth would know about it for centuries. Slowing down is another matter though, on trips to the moon, most of the time is spent decelerating I believe), but it comes with "conditions" there are no free rides. Where this ideal of a species "we cannot imagine" falls down is that the entire Universe obeys the same laws of physics. What works here will work in the Andromeda Galaxy, and any other place. Somethings just cannot be done, that's one of those though lessons we learn that we do not like. It suck's but what ya gonna do? Just our Galaxy I am sure could keep us interested until the Sun burns out, or the Milky Way collides with Andromeda, both of which will happen.

We have many ideas to fold and bend space, but they remain that (an idea), and I feel always will. Some are even elegant in design, however, as I said nothing is for free. Each of these "solutions" comes with a set of hurdles ready to hobble you back down to earth. They create more problems than they solve in general.

I still say Comms is the best way forward into this area. The only thing I have seen travel space successfully is light. We should see what is around us, and recognise the value in it, instead of wishing up huge dream lists. If nature has already done it, then it must be possible. We utilise light for comms extensively. I think we just need to have a harder think, and perhaps a better look at it.

Edited by psyche101

Many technical achievements of which we are now capable were once held to be impossible. Our imperfect understanding of the laws of nature was often the basis for this. Radio waves were once considered a fantasy, so was atomic energy. Placing limits on what may ever be done, based on our current understanding of how the universe works, seem precarious assumptions, at best. Where it all falls down is here: We can't predict the future with any accuracy, as repeated failed attempts to do so attest. Our current knowledge is incomplete and less than perfect, as should be obvious.

• Like 1

Many technical achievements of which we are now capable were once held to be impossible. Our imperfect understanding of the laws of nature was often the basis for this. Radio waves were once considered a fantasy, so was atomic energy. Placing limits on what may ever be done, based on our current understanding of how the universe works, seem precarious assumptions, at best. Where it all falls down is here: We can't predict the future with any accuracy, as repeated failed attempts to do so attest. Our current knowledge is incomplete and less than perfect, as should be obvious.

And yet nature held the answers all along. It was said the speed of sound could not be achieved, yet it was in nature all around us. Radio waves and Atomic energy were also observable in nature, we had to develop tools to follow this path, but because examples intrigued observant people.

E=MC2 is not a misunderstanding. If you are insisting that the speed of light is a simple barrier to overcome, I strongly disagree. 100 Years of research has only galvanised the concept, it has not been so much as marked by opposition. I do not see the point in speculating fantasy speed when we have models to work with now and new directions to try.

No worries, I do not expect a reply, I know you do not like your speculations challenged.

And yet nature held the answers all along. It was said the speed of sound could not be achieved, yet it was in nature all around us. Radio waves and Atomic energy were also observable in nature, we had to develop tools to follow this path, but because examples intrigued observant people.

E=MC2 is not a misunderstanding. If you are insisting that the speed of light is a simple barrier to overcome, I strongly disagree. 100 Years of research has only galvanised the concept, it has not been so much as marked by opposition. I do not see the point in speculating fantasy speed when we have models to work with now and new directions to try.

No worries, I do not expect a reply, I know you do not like your speculations challenged.

I have not speculated about 'fantasy speeds' beyond that of light. I am inclined to expect that under the conditions specified by the theory of relativity, the light speed limit will hold. Newton's ideas about gravity remain a very good approximation of reality under most conditions, and are still used to guide space probes to the limits of the solar system, and accurately describe the orbits of asteroids.

It is not so fantastic a concept that there might be situations to which relativity does not apply. Some quite respectable physicists are willing to seriously consider this possibility. Scientists at NASA are making tests to see if space can be warped, with the idea that this might one day be used to send space vessels to the stars. The local speed of the ship would be zero with respect to the space surrounding it, but the global effect would be reach points in space much sooner than light could.

I have not speculated about 'fantasy speeds' beyond that of light. I am inclined to expect that under the conditions specified by the theory of relativity, the light speed limit will hold. Newton's ideas about gravity remain a very good approximation of reality under most conditions, and are still used to guide space probes to the limits of the solar system, and accurately describe the orbits of asteroids.

It is not so fantastic a concept that there might be situations to which relativity does not apply. Some quite respectable physicists are willing to seriously consider this possibility. Scientists at NASA are making tests to see if space can be warped, with the idea that this might one day be used to send space vessels to the stars. The local speed of the ship would be zero with respect to the space surrounding it, but the global effect would be reach points in space much sooner than light could.

I must say I am surprised to hear from you, you did ignore my last dozen or so attempts to discuss subjects with you. Shame that, I do respect your posting. I may not agree with it often, but it is nice to have a sensible conversation, and not wear kid gloves with someone that will pretend to wonder how man managed to stack rocks together in the past. The level of discussion here has dropped in recent times. I think guys like yourself, Quillius and MacGuffin have set the bar to high for the current set of nonsense polluting the boards.

If you are not talking about the speed of light, what does your comment to "limits" refer to? That is the "limit" in space travel is it not? I did not expect a reply, but now that you have offered one, might I ask you to extrapolate further? I am unaware of what limits you might be referring to. If I am way of the mark, I humbly apologise but am not sure how I would get another impression from what was provided.

Relativity may not apply in a black hole, that is suspected already, but why? Because of the conditions of a Black Hole. If one feels strongly enough about other anomalous regions to mention them, it just seems incomplete without further information. Yes that might be the case, but I would expect one to state where and why, not just that in space anything can happen, your academic level has always appeared beyond such ambiguous speculation, I am just asking you to complete that which you started. It seems a rather broad statement to make without further information. If you have any, I would be much appreciative of a link. Broad statements lead to confusion, confusion leads to argument. I just hope to avoid such with your good self.

Edited by psyche101

Im not scared of no stinkin Aliens ! We Got Our Best Team to Fight for us !

post-68971-0-42521300-1357700296_thumb.j

• Like 1

Like I've remarked before, really I think arguing about FTL is a bit of a distraction really. Even if we could travel a bit faster than L, it would still take years to get anywhere, it would still take four years even to get to proxima Centauri, and it might take decades or centuries to get to some places we might find interestnig. I reckon what whe'd probably need to do, and what the ETs would almost certainly use, would be some other means, perhaps by manipulating time and relative dimensions in Space.

Like I've remarked before, really I think arguing about FTL is a bit of a distraction really. Even if we could travel a bit faster than L, it would still take years to get anywhere, it would still take four years even to get to proxima Centauri, and it might take decades or centuries to get to some places we might find interestnig. I reckon what whe'd probably need to do, and what the ETs would almost certainly use, would be some other means, perhaps by manipulating time and relative dimensions in Space.

Perhaps, if that is possible then one would not be wise not to use it, but can it really be done?

I agree on FTL, the Universe is not only too big for FTL, it is ever expanding at a great rate. But I really do not see the point in speculating that others have what we can only imagine. I find discussing FTL distasteful because near everyone only knows the Sci Fi concepts. Very few ever bother to actually read the background information. I am specifically not including yourself here, as you and I have discussed the major problems to overcome, like a ridiculous power source, but I am sure you have seen examples of what I mean. I think we need a reason to think FTL can be achieved before we start deciding this is how Aliens get around.

And then there is the "wading species" as well. Not every species is going to go with FTL, one might have tried our Orion concept. Aliens do not have to be advanced, people seem to think so, but that is not the case. Genrational ships would be another option. For all we know, there might be an alien Orion heading our way right now. It's even more plausible as bending space because we know it can be done, and you do not need to be highly advanced by comparison with us to do it.

As far as I know, there are no examples of space ever being folded in nature. With giant like Y Cannis Majoris out there, Pulsars, Gama Rays you name it, if it exists, it will exist in nature too. Maybe it is yet to be discovered, but I think the silence on manipulating space is something of an indicator. Until the concept is at least somewhat stabilised, I honestly do not see the point in throwing random guesses at it, structured educated guesses will come with time and further knowledge. For now, it's a dogs breakfast.

Post withdrawn, pending resolution of problem with link.

Edited by bison

http:/./www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html

The link doesn't seem to work. Let me try this.

http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html

try that. You had an extra . in it.

Edited by Lord Vetinari

"But recently White calculated what would happen if the shape of the ring encircling the spacecraft was adjusted into more of a rounded donut, as opposed to a flat ring. He found in that case, the warp drive could be powered by a mass about the size of a spacecraft like the Voyager 1 probe NASA launched in 1977"

It's amazing what you can (perhaps potentially) do just by adjusting something to a donut shape, isn't it. :unsure2:

Do you know how long have we existed? A tiny period of time, in space older than everything known to us...We weren't here from start so people can claim or believe anything they like because anything is possible. And yes there are people who blindly believe that we are unique and alone... so tell me aren't we a proof of alien civilization? Arent we too aliens for some other civilization? Just recently the number of Earth-like planets stopped at 17 billions... that is all i need to know... if we had technology to reach out to any of those planets and would see primitive life, that would impact everything we know on a scale unprecedented to us... So like you believe in god and science who needs evidence which cannot be gained at all... people believe in civilizations out there... it isnt hard.. like i couldn't believe in an 8 meters big squid deep in the sea...If you don't believe you just don't , others do... end of story.

Edit: Lots of spelling errors my apologies.

Edited by Nuke_em

The link doesn't seem to work. Let me try this.

http://www.space.com...paceflight.html

try that. You had an extra . in it.

Thanks, Lord Vetinari, for correcting my link. When I looked for the topic, a quick search with the terms 'space warp NASA' brought up many accessible articles on the current thinking and work on warp based space drives. The space.com article mentions an *effective* speed of 10 times that of light, without explaining how this was arrived at. One suspects that this might be improved upon, just as the energy requirements were very much reduced by tweaking the Alcubierre design. Even 10 x C would enable us to send probes to the nearer stars in a few months to a few years, no longer than current space probe missions to planets in our own system. Of course when we talk of *effective* speeds above that of light, the speed of light is not actually violated in relation to the space immediately surrounding the ship. The *local* speed is zero. The speed of light it 'gotten around' by expanding space in the direction one wishes to travel, and compressed in the opposite direction.