Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Burglar-bite worry for dog owners: new law

Still Waters

When did British folks stop using common sense? Or is this just an example of political idiocy being forced on the majority? As for the treatment of intruders - I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

• Like 1

Britain pretends not to be Europe. As far as I know in all other European countries, as long as there is a warning on the gate and the dog has its rabies shot (where rabies is predominant) he may bite any trespasser.

There's no 'pretend' about it QM. It's only our politicians who think we're Europeans, (and that's because they see the possibility of a nice, cushy retirement job when they get their a***s kicked at the next General Election!) ...........Off-topic, sorry.

• Like 2

I've never fancied living in Wales.

And this daft law is making it even less likely that I'd ever live there.

Anyway, anyone who breaks into my house will have to worry about more than receiving a poxy dog bite.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

Isn't there a liability thing about having a "Beware of the Dog" sign nowadays? That technically it's inviting people to be bitten so you shouldn't have one? I really despair for this country.

No guns, no dogs... call the cops and wait for what? 15-20 minutes? WOW.... I'm an American and I'll keep my guns and my unfriendly dogs close by... To live in a nice world where love and flowers and butterflies abound is a great idea but in practical practice... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

HAH! That's optimistic... The only thing that Scottish Independence will be good for will be to get out of all these stupid PC-Policies. But we'd have reverted back to a feudal system as our economy crashes anyway so it willnae matter.

Edited by Urisk

The only thing that Scottish Independence will be good for will be to get out of all these stupid PC-Policies. But we'd have reverted back to a feudal system as our economy crashes anyway so it willnae matter.

How on Earth do you believe that Scottish independence will get rid of PC policies in Scotland?

Are the Scottish Labour, Tories and LibDems less PC than those in the rest of Britain? Are the SNP not very PC? I doubt it very much.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

If any thug burglar ever comes into my house, they best take note that I am a sadist serial killer.

My gate sign doesn't say "Beware of Dog"

Oh no, it says "Welcome to my Dungeon"

You'd think the UK of all places would have castle laws.

Now I know some knowledgeable poster is going to tell me that yes, the UK does have castle laws. If that's the case then legislating around doggie-bites has got to be the dumbest idea I've heard in years. If you break into my house and you hear the shotgun clicking, you better get your dumb *** out. Nobody's going to be whining that my buckshot bit you too hard, and how stupid are they, if they do.

You've been reading too many books called 'Fifty Shades of Grey'! haven't you? Christmas prezzie was it?

Not at all. I just think you deserve the same kind of beating you give poor Mrs ealdwita on UM..

• Like 2

Britain pretends not to be Europe. As far as I know in all other European countries, as long as there is a warning on the gate and the dog has its rabies shot (where rabies is predominant) he may bite any trespasser.

Heu!!!! France has forbidden attack dogs and owners have to take classes in order to own big dogs and they are held responsible for any attack. So far none of them have involved burglar's attack but if the case occurs, I'm sure to socialo-commies will pass a similar law. Few years ago, two illegal chased by the police went into hiding in a electric building that changes high voltage currant into 380 v, and of course they fried. SOS racism is suing the cops (and might win) for illegal chase.

Since dogs are getting illegal I'm thinking of getting a Maine Coon anyway.61979d1272458635-maine-coon-cat-ny-maine-coon3.jpg89915-600x425-maine-coon-9.jpg

Here kitty kitty kitty!

• Like 1

Time to start training your dogs to not just bury bones in the backyard but whole bodies.

• Like 3

Jesus Christ that's a beautiful cat, massive too! I want one.

Time to start training your dogs to not just bury bones in the backyard but whole bodies.

No need for that, my dog will eat anything.

Plus my garden consists of concrete slabs and stones (beautifully arranged of course!) so unless she can use a pick-axe...

Edited by Walter White

How on Earth do you believe that Scottish independence will get rid of PC policies in Scotland?

Are the Scottish Labour, Tories and LibDems less PC than those in the rest of Britain? Are the SNP not very PC? I doubt it very much.

You're probably right, but one can dream can't they? Independence will kill Scotland anyway, but that's another matter. It's OK to have some Political Correctness, but like anything it must be in moderation. Perhaps respect or common decency are better words to use.

Edited by Urisk

Heu!!!! France has forbidden attack dogs and owners have to take classes in order to own big dogs and they are held responsible for any attack. So far none of them have involved burglar's attack but if the case occurs, I'm sure to socialo-commies will pass a similar law. Few years ago, two illegal chased by the police went into hiding in a electric building that changes high voltage currant into 380 v, and of course they fried. SOS racism is suing the cops (and might win) for illegal chase.

Since dogs are getting illegal I'm thinking of getting a Maine Coon anyway.61979d1272458635-maine-coon-cat-ny-maine-coon3.jpg89915-600x425-maine-coon-9.jpg

Here kitty kitty kitty!

What was forbidden, and in more than one European country, is dogs that cannot be controlled by the owner. Some countries actually demand schooling for certain races (i.e. Pitbull).

But in any case, the best "dog" my family ever had was my little sister's pet burro. No neighbor ever stepped on our pasture without getting bitten by him.

• Like 1

I had a savannah cat. They're bigger than Maine coons.

I'll have one those too!

The dog welfare body says owners should have some protection under the law when dogs try to defend the home.

I agree. I have two dogs which are in charge of security on the property, kind of like Higgins on Magnum P.I. They wear WWII British Pacific Island type uniforms, or perhaps something like a big game hunter would wear, and their voices sound like John Houseman. They give a daily report of the security status. Anyone unauthorized attempts to enter the property will be met with a warning to divert course. If trespassers fail to comply, however, the dogs may use lethal force in attempting to detain and turn suspects over to the local authorities.

What was forbidden, and in more than one European country, is dogs that cannot be controlled by the owner. Some countries actually demand schooling for certain races (i.e. Pitbull).

But in any case, the best "dog" my family ever had was my little sister's pet burro. No neighbor ever stepped on our pasture without getting bitten by him.

That's so funny:::: never had a burro only cats and dogs. I've seen however mules kicking lots of people when I was in the army (mountain troups were using mules back then)

Build a moat with sharks and crocks. Should only take 15 yrs to make that illegal. Saying that I find 95 percent of pit owners thugs so shot on site oh wait wrong country but does it matter.

If I wa walking a dog of say a tiny cute Yorky should I have to cross the street because a none convicted killer is in front of me.

Ban the bread from of leash areas.

Edited by The Silver Thong

I once meta man with a dog on a street corner and I asked him if his dog bites. He said, "no"... so I reached down and petted the dog and it bit me. I said to him, "I thought your dog doesn't bite?" And he said in a french accent, "It's not my dog".

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 3

Build a moat with sharks and crocks. Should only take 15 yrs to make that illegal. Saying that I find 95 percent of pit owners thugs so shot on site oh wait wrong country but does it matter.

If I wa walking a dog of say a tiny cute Yorky should I have to cross the street because a none convicted killer is in front of me.

Ban the bread from of leash areas.

You're a banning kind of guy aren't you..... You ban guns now you ban dogs .... when will ban free speech ? Or have you done that already?

You're a banning kind of guy aren't you..... You ban guns now you ban dogs .... when will ban free speech ? Or have you done that already?

Don't forget I haven't yet banned putting bombs on people and saying it's the owners fault. Hope you get what I mean by that ;)

I love shooting guns I really do just not at people, I like dogs not pits but there owner isn't your fav it's not the weapon but the owner the fires it. Well so be it.

Your gonna throw hamsters at a burglar ? Silly Canadian.

Nah, I'll throw my cat at the thief. May god have mercy on his soul (for the cat wont). :w00t:

• Like 1

The intent of the proposed legislation is NOT to protect a burglar or other miscreant on your property. It is to enforce proper Owner discipline on their dogs where they may well have invited people onto their property to show off their Dogs viciousness. We all know the types - a couple of Rotts or Pits on the end of Titannic sized leads being cajoled into vicious behaviour by low - lifer owners.

Legislation is amended by Case Law, most, but by no means all, Judges would throw out any attempt by a Burglar (or worse) to be compensated for his behaviour.