Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

pit bulls tear into dogs, girl

glorybebe

~ sigh ~

Sad... just sad. :no:

It's true that Pit Bulls are naturally agressive, their bodies are built tough for a reason, they are pack animals and they will not go over the leaders heads.

In order to control a large aggressive dog (any dog really), you need to be a pack leader. My boss has 2 English Mastiffs that are 250 lbs. each.

Firstly, she knows not to take 2 by herself, she's only 5' tall. Secondly, she knows the language of the species which is all about body stance and energy levels and attention.

she is always aware of what the dogs are doing on a walk and she stays calm so the dogs know there is no threat, if she notices the dog is getting nervous or antsy, she gives him the "Cesar Milan" tap to get his attention and calm him down.

People think they can talk to dogs like they are talking to humans... sorry, but they haven't evolved that much. We have to adapt to them and use their language to our message across.

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 2

Ah, it's sad to see so many of you feel that way, especially about some of the bigger breeds.

One of the smartest, most loyal dogs I've ever had was a German Shepherd named Auron, who learned to let himself in and out without a doggie door. At 120lbs, he was the gentlest, most accepting dog of people and other animals I've ever seen. I often joked that if you tried to rob me, he'd help you tote my things out the door if you gave him scritchins, and that was just about the truth, when it came to him.

I was also once friends with a half Husky, half wolf named Wolf that loved kids and loved to swim. He really was just a big lap baby and loved to snuggle, and never had anything but a tail wag and a smile for anyone. And several people I've known have had pibbles, and I've never seen a bad one in my life. Seriously.

But you have to look at breeding factors here, big time. Backyard breeders overbreed them and then don't socialize them properly when they're still nursing, so of course they won't know how to interact with humans. And some things, after that young age has passed, can't be changed. Which is why if you MUST have a full-blooded whatever (and it goes for all breeds, not just the ~scary~ ones) do serious research into the breeder. Go to their homes or where they keep their dogs.

Because I know some lovely pibbles and rotties, and some absolutely horrible daschunds and jack russells.

EDIT TO SAY: And if you think labs won't rip a kid's face off if they've been handled wrong, think again. Depending on the bloodline, they can be HIGHLY neurotic and high strung, to that point. Not all lab breeds/bloodlines are laid back.

Edited by draugr

Pitbulls are also very intelligent. Some people don't know how to handle them though.. they're not supposed to be where they can tear things up.

Trinity, was the first pitbull I've ever met. (She's gone now.) But darn! She was the sweetest, nicest, gentlest pitbull I've ever met. I don't know what my brother-in-law did but he did a good job! She wouldn't hurt a fly. One day she did something that showed my mom her protectiveness.

If your'e going to train a dog to be a attack dog. IT WILL BE A ATTACK DOG. If you train the dog to be the nicest dogs. It will be a nicest dog.

Another my mom's German Sherpherd dog was the biggest baby. The only thing he really did was give my nephew (and probably my necies; I can't remember) kisses. Of course when that happened, someone was there to watch both the baby/babies and the dog.

Edited by Princess Serenity

Pitbulls are also very intelligent. Some people don't know how to handle them though.. they're not supposed to be where they can tear things up.

So, that would be anywhere in a city, or around other animals?

• Like 1

My first choice of dog is a pit bull. When raised correctly they are the smartest most protective, and most loyal dogs Ive ever seen. Cause of the kids, the wife didnt like the idea to much. So I went with rotties. Once the kids are grown and my 2 rotties eventualy pass away, I will be getting a pit bull.

If you are the type of owner that has no interest or ablity to be a pack leader, then most dogs arent for you.

• Like 2

Another sad story for everyone involved. There are good and bad examples with every breed of dog. And yes, other dogs will bite but the difference is they bite and let go. Pit Bulls have a much more nasty nature of attack and won't let go until they decide to. Which is why I have no desire to ever own one or a Rottie. (Not that I could really anyway, Pitters are banned now in Ontario and the Rottie thing is another story...)

I've known some incredibly smart, sweet, child loving Pit Bulls and some really nasty ones owned by nasty people. One so sweet she was named Elmo. lol They can be great dogs, but you can't predict a constant temperament for any animal. Elmo was raised by a good owner but was eventually put down because one day she jumped 2 fences and attacked my neighbour's German Shepard 4 houses away.

I own one very small, very yappy dog. She sees another dog and goes nuts but usually shuts up as soon as she's face to face. I have two small kids and she's never bit either of them, even when they were very small and would tug on her ears whenever they had the chance. That was something I was really worried would happen when they came along and was prepared to find her another home without kids if I had too.

All animals are unpredictable and people should always remember that. Sometimes it turns out for the good, and sometimes not so good.

• Like 2

Another sad story for everyone involved. There are good and bad examples with every breed of dog. And yes, other dogs will bite but the difference is they bite and let go. Pit Bulls have a much more nasty nature of attack and won't let go until they decide to. Which is why I have no desire to ever own one or a Rottie. (Not that I could really anyway, Pitters are banned now in Ontario and the Rottie thing is another story...)

I've known some incredibly smart, sweet, child loving Pit Bulls and some really nasty ones owned by nasty people. One so sweet she was named Elmo. lol They can be great dogs, but you can't predict a constant temperament for any animal. Elmo was raised by a good owner but was eventually put down because one day she jumped 2 fences and attacked my neighbour's German Shepard 4 houses away.

I own one very small, very yappy dog. She sees another dog and goes nuts but usually shuts up as soon as she's face to face. I have two small kids and she's never bit either of them, even when they were very small and would tug on her ears whenever they had the chance. That was something I was really worried would happen when they came along and was prepared to find her another home without kids if I had too.

All animals are unpredictable and people should always remember that. Sometimes it turns out for the good, and sometimes not so good.

I would add...all life forms are unpredictable! Except for my Lab. She is very predictable. You can predict that she will decide to jump up on you at the most akward time. You can predict that if you bend down and aren't paying attention you might get head butted right in the face. And you can predict that if she is biting on your arm she really needs to go outside. But, one more important to this thread detail...you can predict 100% of the time that she is not going to suddenly turn vicious and bite you!

• Like 2

The selective breeding the pit bull went through was done to produce a vicious and relentless dog. It's embedded into their instinct to simply click into a violent, savage beast in the spur of the moment. This was ideal to what they went bred for, fighting and hearding livestock.

Think of it like our instinctive behaviour when fear kicks in. We may act out of fear because we can't help it. Much like the aggressive behaviour of the pit bull. As nice as some may be, when that kicks in, expect it.

• Like 1

My first choice of dog is a pit bull. When raised correctly they are the smartest most protective, and most loyal dogs Ive ever seen. Cause of the kids, the wife didnt like the idea to much. So I went with rotties. Once the kids are grown and my 2 rotties eventualy pass away, I will be getting a pit bull.

If you are the type of owner that has no interest or ablity to be a pack leader, then most dogs arent for you.

Wait...your wife wasn't okay with pit bulls...but she is okay with rottweilers??? Guess what...she probably won't be okay with a pitbull after your kids are grown either...grand kids you know...

Wait...your wife wasn't okay with pit bulls...but she is okay with rottweilers??? Guess what...she probably won't be okay with a pitbull after your kids are grown either...grand kids you know...

Rottweilers aren't that far off in % of fatal attacks on humans compared to pit bulls. I'm guessing I'm sharing the same surprise you have had in reading that.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 1

I know, I know. People who have PitBulls love them to death and you cannot overcome the Love factor with any kind of evidence. I will say that Pit Bulls do get a bad rap. But it is because they are a bad breed. :whistle: There are plenty of cases of Pit Bulls in good loving homes that wind up killing the kids. Do this: Google Pit Bull attacks/Images....I can guarantee you that if you Google Lab attacks/Images...you will not find any pictures of Labs who have mutilated the face of a cow! or horse! They are dangerous dogs...I'll leave it at that!

Yet another fool who thinks pit bulls are the number one biter,Your wrong and your knowledge of them should be left in your mind.It is stupid people who's dogs turn against them,Stupid people who own them without training them,Duh You idiots think you can treat a pit like anyother dog,if so your either stupid or just a plain ignorant fool,I do admit that not everyone should own them because not everyone can controll them,they are a MANS DOG,not a wimps dog.Oh and before you get your feelings hurt,I am not calling you Stupid or an Idiot,I am reffering to the people who know nothing about them but seem to think they know something. It is those people who should just keep their mouths shut,You want to know which dog bites the most? Poodles bite more people than anyother dog,2nd comes the mixed breed poodles ,Yet when people see them,OH they are so cute,I will not lay my foot on the breaks if one were to shoot out into traffic.what about rock weilers."dont think I spelled that right" those dogs kill more animals and bite more people than pits do,And the only reason they get a bad rap is because of the IDIOT MEDIA who look only for reports on pits.Go ahead and leave it at that,Be miss informed and be one of the people who know nothing of them. And this is just my opinion.

The selective breeding the pit bull went through was done to produce a vicious and relentless dog. It's embedded into their instinct to simply click into a violent, savage beast in the spur of the moment. This was ideal to what they went bred for, fighting and hearding livestock.

Think of it like our instinctive behaviour when fear kicks in. We may act out of fear because we can't help it. Much like the aggressive behaviour of the pit bull. As nice as some may be, when that kicks in, expect it.

Now I find someone who knows nothing of them ,only what was read in the papers or shown on FOX TV.they do not click into violent outburst or a beast in the spur of the moment.They were bred to corral bulls,They were not bred to be fighting dogs,It was Idiot people who introduced them to fighting and those are the jerks that need to be put to death,the Livestock part is only a part true,BULLS man BULLs are what they were bred to handle.Imbedded into their instinct to simmply click???You are so ignorant of what your trying to talk about,I think your a smart person but I think you should keep with what you really know and not something you think you know.
  • Like 1

Who cares what dog breed bites more, it's the breed that kills more that people should worry about. Just because you have a dog that is so loving and sweet to you doesn't mean it isn't one day going to go on a murderous rampage against someone or even against your own self.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-faq.php

• Like 1

Pitbulls are breed to kill so unless you are a player in the NFL forget about owning them. The breed sucks ass.

To deffend what they do describes the owner.

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 1

Yet another fool who thinks pit bulls are the number one biter,Your wrong and your knowledge of them should be left in your mind.It is stupid people who's dogs turn against them,Stupid people who own them without training them,Duh You idiots think you can treat a pit like anyother dog,if so your either stupid or just a plain ignorant fool,I do admit that not everyone should own them because not everyone can controll them,they are a MANS DOG,not a wimps dog.Oh and before you get your feelings hurt,I am not calling you Stupid or an Idiot,I am reffering to the people who know nothing about them but seem to think they know something. It is those people who should just keep their mouths shut,You want to know which dog bites the most? Poodles bite more people than anyother dog,2nd comes the mixed breed poodles ,Yet when people see them,OH they are so cute,I will not lay my foot on the breaks if one were to shoot out into traffic.what about rock weilers."dont think I spelled that right" those dogs kill more animals and bite more people than pits do,And the only reason they get a bad rap is because of the IDIOT MEDIA who look only for reports on pits.Go ahead and leave it at that,Be miss informed and be one of the people who know nothing of them. And this is just my opinion.

You are just the type of person who should defiantly not own a pit bull or any large agressive dog, because you lack selfcontrol. You come off as very angry and agressive and that is the kind of energy goes right down the leash into a dogs brain.

• Like 1

Now I find someone who knows nothing of them ,only what was read in the papers or shown on FOX TV.they do not click into violent outburst or a beast in the spur of the moment.They were bred to corral bulls,They were not bred to be fighting dogs,It was Idiot people who introduced them to fighting and those are the jerks that need to be put to death,the Livestock part is only a part true,BULLS man BULLs are what they were bred to handle.Imbedded into their instinct to simmply click???You are so ignorant of what your trying to talk about,I think your a smart person but I think you should keep with what you really know and not something you think you know.

You said it, BULLS. What better way to keep large, dangerous and agressive animals like those in line with something like that. You think your average sheep dog or something like that would do?

• Like 1

The girl is a heroine.

These type of aggressive dogs need to be regulated so that they require insurance, training, and a license to own one.

Breeders should also be regulated so additionally the point of sale or transfer can be documented.

Also had the girl had a chow-chow, even if just one, those pit bulls would have had an even fight and might have even lost. Chow-chows are fiercely loyal to their owners and families and can outmatch a single pit bull one-on-one.

You come off as very angry and agressive

Pot...kettle.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 1

What really bothers me is why people want to get these kind of dogs they seem to be status symbols more than anything else. Woe be the dog that ends up as a status symbol, because people who own them don't seem to care about the welfare of the dog only their own ego. I have found the best dogs are mutts you rescue from the pound. Some how they know you have saved them and give back 10 fold.

• Like 1

The highlighted portion of your posts speaks volumes about your character. It says your ego defines you as a man's man. In the same catagory we usually find wife beaters and overall control freaks. You seek to control others...and you think that if you can control a Pit Bull (which is ludicrous) that you are more Manly. Big mistake pal. Try it on someone else not me.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

Now as for the dogs that attacked that poor little girl and her pet, They should be put down,Any dog that attacks a human has to be put down,NO Questions asked,If it were my dogs that did that I would have shot them my self,right quick,fast and in a hurry.Humans before Animals,Unless the Animal is a human.

Do not make this discussion personal. Any more ad hom remarks will not be tolerated.

Now, as to the issue regarding pitbulls. The breed is indeed large and aggressive, but the majority of the problem lies with improper breeding and improper training (if you could even call such abuse "training"). Take a dog that was chosen for anti-social behaviour (often having been encouraged to kill its own kind), beat it, teach it to fight and you have a living breathing weapon. Humans are to blame for this horror.

• Like 2

Do not make this discussion personal. Any more ad hom remarks will not be tolerated.

Now, as to the issue regarding pitbulls. The breed is indeed large and aggressive, but the majority of the problem lies with improper breeding and improper training (if you could even call such abuse "training"). Take a dog that was chosen for anti-social behaviour (often having been encouraged to kill its own kind), beat it, teach it to fight and you have a living breathing weapon. Humans are to blame for this horror.

Now finally someone who understands,Its not the dog,well not the dogs fault ,It Is US as humans that have failed our true comanions,Mans best friends didn't learn how to fight other dogs or things like that with out a resonsable human.We are to blame for the dogs poor outlook,and here we are trying to blame one another,I SUCK as A human because I have let mans best friend down,that should be the word of the day,thing is how do we change what we have done.

Humans are indeed to blame, but that doesn't mean that as a group pitbulls aren't a dangerous breed. Now, listen carefully to this part: Many existing pitbulls have been breed for overly aggressive personalities, trained to kill, and beaten and abused for 'good measure'. Such animals should indeed be put down. Such animals should never, never, never be bred,

I met a woman recently in my local PetSmart who is a pitbull breeder (a real AKC breeder). She and others are attempting to save the breed. Her stud dog had the most wonderful gentle personality. She said that often when she tells random people he's a pitbull they will tell her that she must be "mistaken" as he's so sweet and friendly. She said (and pay attention here) that she would never advise anyone getting "street bred pitbull", it's simply too dangerous.

Dogs are very much what they are bred to be...this fact should always be taken into account.

I had a Rottie when I met my wife. She was the sweetest dog ever. Loved everyone and everything. So she didnt have much choice at first. We were a package deal. Honestly I dont see the problem with rotties at all. My experiance has been great. My wife loved my first dog so much that we now own 2. I really dont know why rotties get a bad rap. I guess cause they are big enough to do some real damage. If you raise them as a family member, they will be part of your family.