Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A possible sighting of two suns in NYC

Dr. Mirdad

I seen this in the afternoon and thought it was worth taking a picture of. My guess it is 2 suns. The sun which is obviously on the left and the other light source which was visible to the sun as I took this picture. Its was partially cloudy and the pictures where taken from a in the time span of 3:20pm - 3:30pm on the date of 1/2/2013. I cannot say for certain it is two actually suns but it seems to be an anomaly I am now aware of. This would not be the first time I have seen this. I have this once before in westechester county in NY, but it wasnt appearing on my camera though I still attempted and took pictures. The ones you see here today are from yesterdays sighting. And no this is not a lense flare. Because I was able to see this with my own eyes and was able to record it on video. 2 suns or not I find this pretty interesting.gallery_100283_11_291085.jpggallery_100283_11_44110.jpggallery_100283_11_238845.jpg Let me know what you guys think....

Just a hole in the clouds with extra edge-reflection?

• Like 1

The two suns threads are just so... So...

So...

What's the word I'm looking for?

Arg?

Just a hole in the clouds with extra edge-reflection?

I really wish I could say that but see it with my own eyes... I could tell you now there wasnt any hole in the clouds because it appeared to be two distinctive light source from behind the clouds. It was visble for about 30 mins from time I came outside my cousins house. I wont rule out the option me being wrong though... it visibe

Just like Nibs said, sundog. Refraction off of ice crystals in the atmosphere.

gallery_100283_11_150667.jpggallery_100283_11_72573.jpggallery_100283_11_259327.jpg

You can also immediately tell that it is a sundog because of the color. The ice crystals act as prisms and the side closest to the sun is always red.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

The two suns threads are just so... So...

So...

What's the word I'm looking for?

Arg?

I know, I know. I look and feel the same way when I see others posting about two sun, but usually the pictures use do not belong to them, with out any reference of date and time. You have all three now. After seeing this twice in a matter of a month. I had to take that picture and share it with you guys to figure this dang thing out. I am still a skeptic on the 2 suns topic, but I thought it was something worth sharing.

• Like 1

Im gonna see if I could upload the video to youtube

I've seen the same phenomenon at my own home. Like I said. Sundogs. Very cool but not two suns.

Nibs

• Like 1

I know, I know. I look and feel the same way when I see others posting about two sun, but usually the pictures use do not belong to them, with out any reference of date and time. You have all three now. After seeing this twice in a matter of a month. I had to take that picture and share it with you guys to figure this dang thing out. I am still a skeptic on the 2 suns topic, but I thought it was something worth sharing.

I was just teasing. :)

Given that a second sun would have come with a huge temperature increase, a change in orbit, and mass death I'm thinking sundogs is the more likely explaination. ;)

• Like 3

Given that a second sun would have come with a huge temperature increase, a change in orbit, and mass death I'm thinking sundogs is the more likely explaination. ;)

I agree. And as far as I can tell, it's still pretty chilly here, even as far south as I am. I think two suns would definitely change the dynamic of seasons. And why would it magically appear, then disappear? If so, where'd it come from and where'd it go?

• Like 1

I agree. And as far as I can tell, it's still pretty chilly here, even as far south as I am. I think two suns would definitely change the dynamic of seasons. And why would it magically appear, then disappear? If so, where'd it come from and where'd it go?

Yep...kinda large to just up and vanish from one moment to the next. But it's a cool picture anyway :)
  • Like 1

Sun dog?? Seems to be a likely explanation to what I witnessed yesterday..... poop :cry: .(sigh)..Just when I thought with there being two suns, that petition for the death star would've definitely got that approval :tsu::gun: ...ohh well <_<

• Like 1

Still a interesting picture and glad you took the time to share it with us. ThankYou2.gif

• Like 1

A supernova from a considerable star from a considerable distance away would create the light in our sky, but not anything else you mention.

The OP is seeing a sundog, though, like others mentioned.

Edited by Legaia

Ok,let me walk outside .....

One sun ,lots of glare .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Looks like a hole in the clouds to me. Nothing to see here move on folks

just an illusion