Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Signaling distant extraterrestrials

TheMolePatrol

Kind of a vauge topic, but when you think of the vast SIZE of the Universe, there is probably life in every galaxy. So if a super advanced race was to reach the status of being able to visit other stars (or galaxies), how would they know which ones to choose for exploration? It's like a needle in a haystack.

So then I figured, the way WE attempt to do that is by zoning in on specific stars, and eventually we will zone in on the planets to look for desirable conditions and "colors". Colors as in different strains of light they use to detect what the surface/atmosphere might be made of. And even then, we do this with only inner-galaxy capabilities. We are litterally just peeking at our neighbors.

Anyways, on to the reason of this post. Do you think there is any way of making ourselves "stand out" safely? Like emit or project an obviously man-made light pattern? Big flashing Earth sign? Unnaturally-occuring light flashes or blends?

I personally don't think we should be broadcasting our whereabouts to the universe. The attention you get might not be the kind you want.

I do believe some already know that we are here and have for thousands of years.

• Like 2

Something like this was inadvertently done in 1958. It was called Operation Argus. Three atomic bombs were detonated on different dates in August and September, well above Earth's atmosphere. These would have made our little planet quite conspicuous. Even the above-ground atomic bomb tests from Earth's surface would have been fairly noticeable, in the wavelengths and energy levels not absorbed by the atmosphere. These latter began in 1945. Most had occurred by 1962. The last was by China in 1980.

A sufficiently advanced civilization might be able to detect chemical signatures of unnatural gases (pollution) in our atmosphere. From this they could presumably infer the existence of a rudimentary form of technological civilization.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

Something like this was inadvertently done in 1958. It was called Operation Argus. Three atomic bombs were detonated on different dates in August and September, well above Earth's atmosphere. These would have made our little planet quite conspicuous. Even the above-ground atomic bomb tests from Earth's surface would have been fairly noticeable, in the wavelengths and energy levels not absorbed by the atmosphere. These latter began in 1945. Most had occurred by 1962. The last was by China in 1980.

A sufficiently advanced civilization might be able to detect chemical signatures of unnatural gases (pollution) in our atmosphere. From this they could presumably infer the existence of a rudimentary form of technological civilization.

Indeed this in turn Is why E.T stays way the Heck away from Us Advanced Earth People ! :alien::no:

Something like this was inadvertently done in 1958. It was called Operation Argus. Three atomic bombs were detonated on different dates in August and September, well above Earth's atmosphere. These would have made our little planet quite conspicuous.

What makes you think that any possible ET neighbor would detect a small atomic explosion on our blue little dot, when our sun (and most of the other stars) are gigantic thermonuclear bombs?

Our Suns total energy output, is approximately 3.846x10^26 watts. That is the equivalent of roughly 92 million million one-megaton nuclear bombs detonating every second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

What makes you think that any possible ET neighbor would detect a small atomic explosion on our blue little dot, when our sun (and most of the other stars) are gigantic thermonuclear bombs?

Our Suns total energy output, is approximately 3.846x10^26 watts. That is the equivalent of roughly 92 million million one-megaton nuclear bombs detonating every second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

It is already becoming possible for us to directly image exoplanets, despite the brightness of the stars they orbit. Setting arbitrary limits on what will be possible in this line to a civilization much more technically advanced than our own seems unwarranted. It appears that we made our detection via atomic tests somewhat easier than I realized. The Starfish Prime test in 1962 detonated a 1.4 megaton atomic bomb at a altitude of about 250 miles. Edited by bison

I believe they already know we're here, and have for quite a long time..

I also believe they did, and thought, "Alas, such a promising planet, but not a trace of intelligent life."

• Like 1

Yeah, even with relatively slow speed of radio waves and such(with respect to distances between stars)...

I feel somewhat certain that any alien race picking-up our older/newer radio and TV broadcasts, especially the news, would be appalled by our obvious lack of maturity and tendency to incessantly fight amongst ourselves here on Earth.

I have no knowledge, of course, but I would venture to guess that we could easily be viewed as a primitive, dangerous civilization.

An advanced extraterrestrial species would be no more justified in holding our immaturity against us than we would be in objecting to the immaturity of our own children. Naturally we hope that they will grow up, stop fighting with their siblings, and guide them as best we can in this direction. Given a wider definition of 'family' such as 'all sentient life', the attitude of extraterrestrials toward us may be similar. There may also be a desire to teach us some manners before we are able to venture out into space very far, and begin to annoy the neighbors.

Edited by bison

It is already becoming possible for us to directly image exoplanets, despite the brightness of the stars they orbit. Setting arbitrary limits on what will be possible in this line to a civilization much more technically advanced than our own seems unwarranted.

In that same line of thinking, maybe ET have the tech to read my licence plate from 20 lightyears away. Heck, ET could even be cloaked sitting next to me at this very minute.

Why bring detection of our thermonuclear bombs to the table at all?

Edited by Hazzard

In that same line of thinking, maybe ET have the tech to read my licence plate from 20 lightyears away. Heck, ET could even be cloaked sitting next to me at this very minute.

Why bring detection of our thermonuclear bombs to the table at all?

Quite a bit had already been written and discussed about the detection of our radio, television and radar transmissions at stellar distances. It seemed worth considering another possibility.

They used to televise the above-ground nuclear tests in Nevada, in the 1950's and early 60's. This seemed like boasting about out destructive prowess. The fact that we ceased the folly of such tests, and eventually ended the cold war appear to be signs of our growing up as a species.

Suppose that Homo Sapiens lasts a million years as a species, about ten times what we've managed so far. The few, perilous, centuries that lie between a largely agricultural civilization and a stable technical one, which we have not yet entirely achieved, might be of particular interest to those species that study primitive sentient cultures.

Edited by bison

Heck, ET could even be cloaked sitting next to me at this very minute.

It is I, your ET, sitting next to you.

I am getting ready to beam you up to my ship.

You will have no need of money or valuables, so you must send them to my earthy address to pay for transport.

When you are ready, let me know.

Sincerely, :alien:

Hazzard`s right you know ! E.T. is right among us ,We being sized up for who knows what,and when. As for the Advanced evolution of mankind thats always going to be a big stretch . We most likely about on the tad-pole level of other beings in the universe.Unless were on the top of the Food chain, In that case Im really bummed out ! I still think theres really advanced Creatures out there,just got no proof yet !

Well Happy New year all and Keep Looking Up !

They have seen Star Trek and have decided we are not worth the effort to investigate.

Or, perhaps, they have seen Star Trek, and suppose that beings who can think up a thing like the 'prime directive' are worried about the possible harmful effects on themselves, upon their contact with more advanced civilizations in space. The expression of such concern might indicate to other civilizations that their contact with us will have to be handled with great care; with subtlety and a slow pace.

Edited by bison