Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl fights for right to her own name

Still Waters

A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means light breeze in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...name-fight.html

Just gonna set sone stuff down... Wait!

tumblr_m3be35GAXp1rtcfaqo1_500.gif

And by THIS I mean these 'lists of approved names'.

Edited by Hasina

I have to agree with one of the comments made under the article: "You can name your child BJORK but not Blaer? YIKES!" :w00t:

• Like 3

This is one of those laws that should of never happened. Laws can go too far getting involved in your personal business sometimes.

I agree some names are way over the top but at least the kid can change it if they want when they are older.

Some of the names that are approved I wouldn't want for a name.

I have to agree with one of the comments made under the article: "You can name your child BJORK but not Blaer? YIKES!" :w00t:

Her mothers name is Bjork! :clap:

I was adopted named Jonah and it changed to Bugs to daffy to twwity ahhh who cares I'm Jeff aks silver thong lol

I dont think any government has the right to dictate what you can or cant name your child.

• Like 1