Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does fasting really elevate our immune system

hst123

I'm well aware of the fact that fasting increases a sense of piousness and nearness to Allah. However, I was going through this write-up where they briefly

talked about the benefits it gives to our digestive system, my question here is: does fasting really strengthen our immune system too?

Link to that article: http://www.blog.avenueislam.com/importance-of-fasting/

• Like 1

Who cares? There's wild boar sausages for supper tonight! s9176.gif

Edited by ealdwita

I'm well aware of the fact that fasting increases a sense of piousness and nearness to Allah. However, I was going through this write-up where they briefly

talked about the benefits it gives to our digestive system, my question here is: does fasting really strengthen our immune system too?

Link to that article: http://www.blog.aven...nce-of-fasting/

SIRT1 to 7 are gene pathways in your cells upregulated by environment stresses including - starvation, infection, cold shock, heat shock, dehydration, g-forces, radiation, injury, consuming toxins and many other things.

Your SIRTs are responsilbe for repairing your cells and dna and when put under environment stress vastly upregulate their operations. The result is you get less cancer, less sickness, age at a ridiculasly slow rate, have improved memory and retain an immune system of someone much younger.

• Like 2

SIRT1 to 7 are gene pathways in your cells upregulated by environment stresses including - starvation, infection, cold shock, heat shock, dehydration, g-forces, radiation, injury, consuming toxins and many other things.

Your SIRTs are responsilbe for repairing your cells and dna and when put under environment stress vastly upregulate their operations. The result is you get less cancer, less sickness, age at a ridiculasly slow rate, have improved memory and retain an immune system of someone much younger.

Upregulate Schmup-regulate! You're not listening....Wild Boar sausages!!!!!

• Like 2

Thank you Mr Right Wing for the intelligent post! I sent a copy to myself so I can do some more study on SIRT 1-7. I recently bought the book "Molecular and Cell Biology for Dummies" by Rene Fester Kratz, PHD so I can better understand cellular biology (not an easy thing for someone such as myself who has a brain the size of a walnut).

To hst123:

I've been studying fasting and ketosis ever since my nephew suffered a TBI (traumatic brain injury) in 2006. Fasting (and the resulting ketosis) has a number of benefits for the immune system. I have broadened my own definition of "immune system" to include resistance to degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's Disease and Lou Gehrig's Disease. (Previously, I had mistakenly thought the immune system only helped us resist colds and the flu.) One study I read about even claimed that a strict 3-week fast can cure schizophrenia! I'm waiting to hear if the results have been replicated, though from other books and studies I've read, it seems to be a possibility.

I recommend a book by Mary Newport, MD, "Alzheimer's Disease: What if there Was a Cure?" It's a very interesting book on the use of ketones and coconut oil to help slow down the progress of AD.