Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctor eats world's hottest curry

Still Waters

A British doctor has become the first person to finish the world's hottest curry at a UK restaurant - despite suffering hallucinations brought on by the dish.

Consultant radiologist Ian Rothwell, 55, took over an hour to eat 'The Widower' curry - which tops six million units on the Scoville Scale and is hotter than a drink of anti-riot tear gas.

The curry, which is filled with 20 Naga Infinity Chillis - the second hottest on the planet - is so dangerous to make it has to be prepared by chefs wearing goggles and a face mask.

http://www.dailymail...-face-mask.html

• Like 1

A doctor no less. Not too bright .

What is the hottest chili in the world ?

Never mind ,I see it.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

Why?

According to the article he did it to show up his daughter's friends.

Idjit. *him, not you. :)*

Nibs

Edited by HerNibs
  • Like 3

If say they paid you 250$ to finish it,THEN ..ok,hallucinate ,but to show up some rowdy boys ...Neh .Even so ,curry that hot,is dangerous .Shouldn't eat it at all . Macho nonsense

• Like 2

As much as it hurt goin in, it's gonna hurt even more comin out!!!! OUCH!!!

• Like 5

mmm curry....

Why?

For the same reason mankind likes to climb mountains, because we can.

I wouldnt mind giving it a try myself... dont know if I could finish the whole thing though, but would give it a damn good try. :clap:

I enjoy things as hot as they can possibly get, and I haven't found a wing sauce that's had me beaten, so I believe I would try this. Yum. :yes:

I have a question to those more knowledgable than I...

Does the ingestion of such powerful chili peppers strip the lining of the mouth, throat, stomach and intestines?

Or is it "safe", medically speaking?

6 million huh? that's pretty tough. A ghost chili is 1-1.5 million and I eat them but they still pack a punch. I'm wondering if he's being hospitalized at this time for him ****ting out his intestines.

I enjoy things as hot as they can possibly get, and I haven't found a wing sauce that's had me beaten, so I believe I would try this. Yum. :yes:

You should try some of my home grown Naga (Ghost Chilli's) I make into a sauce with Pears. Taste gorgeous but has an after bite that I have yet to find anyone can tolerate.

I have a question to those more knowledgable than I...

Does the ingestion of such powerful chili peppers strip the lining of the mouth, throat, stomach and intestines?

Or is it "safe", medically speaking?

I watched a special on this some time ago. They scoped out the esophagus and stomach of people who liked to eat very spicy (hot chili peppers) foods. Their conclusion was that hot peppers don't harm your insides, in fact what they found did, was black pepper!

Simbi, seems to feel otherwise, so maybe there are other studies with contrary findings? I'm sure you can burn your lips, etc though.

I am such a wimp my eyes water just reading the article.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

The chief cells in the stomach actually produce an acid to aid in digestion so I don't imagine these foods can top THAT. But the mouth and esophagus aren't protected that way. I don't eat foods this hot because it leaves me unable to taste the food - so what's the point? I'm just a spiceless wimp I guess.

If anyone has a tapeworm that will certainly burn it out.

• Like 2

As much as it hurt goin in, it's gonna hurt even more comin out!!!! OUCH!!!

Na that stuff will close his rear end for good,by welding it shut,I wonder if he will hallucinate when he dumps the lava he ate,I like really hot foods but this is just a macho ball buster of a meal.I would rather take shrapnal in my kiester than have to eat it and burn just to burn once more after it has eaten the lining out of my bread box.

A British doctor has become the first person to finish the world's hottest curry at a UK restaurant - despite suffering hallucinations brought on by the dish.

Consultant radiologist Ian Rothwell, 55, took over an hour to eat 'The Widower' curry - which tops six million units on the Scoville Scale and is hotter than a drink of anti-riot tear gas.

The curry, which is filled with 20 Naga Infinity Chillis - the second hottest on the planet - is so dangerous to make it has to be prepared by chefs wearing goggles and a face mask.

http://www.dailymail...-face-mask.html

Do you also find it odd that, after the doctor began hallucinating and left the table, his wife brought him back to finish THE WIDOW MAKER??? He shouldn't sign any new insurance forms...

If say they paid you 250$ to finish it,THEN ..ok,hallucinate ,but to show up some rowdy boys ...Neh .Even so ,curry that hot,is dangerous .Shouldn't eat it at all . Macho nonsense

how is it dangerous?

how is it dangerous?

If its that high on the scoville scale,its considered pharmaceutical grade.Anything that hot is dangerous .

It's been known to burn holes in peoples stomachs . Long term use can cause cancers ,and personally,I've had weird episodes of laryngeal spasm .

Luckily it was mild. From a very hot escoviche .

Laryngeal spasm is the cause of dry drowning ,which can and does happen out of water.

I would never eat anything even remotely this hot .Not even for money ,as I would probably die if my larynx spasmed shut .

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging.dr.gupta/2007/01/theres-more-to-hot-sauce-than-just.html

http://news.asiantown.net/r/27594/Incredibly-spicy-Chinese-hot-pot-burns-hole-in-man--39-s-stomach.html

Edited by Simbi Laveau

• 1 month later...

They didn't mention your rectum being on flame a few hours after, that's when the REAL PAIN starts. What comes before it is just harmless fun, that's what makes grown men cry.

Just to put it to a context, a normal person couldn't eat 100k scoville anything more than a tip of a nail without suffering symptoms of hiccup, sweating, tears, extreme tonque pain, possible breathing symptoms... you're some crazy sons of a b...es to be eating ghost peppers, I take a teaspoon of ten times milder stuff to half a kilos of food and that's fiery enough for a regular meal.

I love chilli. My opinion on a good curry is that you have to feel it, and maybe be willing to pay for it later in more ways than one. But in saying that, no way would I even attempt this dish. I'm pretty sure I saw a documentary segment on this dish once, and despite my love of chilli this is too much :devil: