Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Idaho inmates: The beer made us do it

Still Waters

Keith Allen Brown shot a man to death in Priest Lake five years ago, leading to a 15-year prison sentence. But the 52-year-old says his problems started long before that, when he was just a boy and tasted alcohol for the first time.

Brown and four other inmates at Idaho’s Kuna facility are suing major beer companies, blaming their crimes on alcoholism and claiming that the companies are responsible because they don’t warn consumers that their products are addictive.

http://www.idahostat...e-me-do-it.html

• Like 2

An interesting case. It will be interesting to see if he prevails, I'm betting no.

At face value an interesting case. Certainly a worthwhile lawsuit. Let the evidence speak for itself.

And once again, we have people who won't take responsibility for their actions.....isn't that one of the conditions for parole?

• Like 2

I doubt the lawsuit will see the light of day.

But it makes me think of the time I gave 3 pennies (because that's all the cash I had) to a homeless man holding a sign on the corner that read: I need beer. Please help.

WAIT. A DWI driver can also use this defense, if he hadn't of been drunk, he wouldn't have wanted to drive.

• Like 1

Well, if you can't do the time don't drink!

I drank alcohol before I was a kid and not in prison... oh wait because I use self-control to make sure I don't hurt anybody other then myself to avoid prison.(even though I like it, I drink very rarely now because it would have more of a chance to cause problems in my life, although when I have the time I do like myself a party) If it became a problem, I would get help before I hurt somebody else. If they actually win this lawsuit I'd be quite sad with society today.

Seriously if you have no self-control and hurt other people just because you have no self-control you deserve to be in prison.

• Like 4

WAIT. A DWI driver can also use this defense, if he hadn't of been drunk, he wouldn't have wanted to drive.

No, this man's point is different. He's saying he started too early in life, and that was beyond his control somehow. I see his point, but the system will reject it because the system's purpose is to protect industry.

No, this man's point is different. He's saying he started too early in life, and that was beyond his control somehow. I see his point, but the system will reject it because the system's purpose is to protect industry.

Yeah, cause he couldn't be bothered to stop buying it, or go to AA.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

I believe the argument will be alcohol is a known addictive substance and is not regulated enough. With the known side effects of alcohol consumption......well.....Ive seen stupider cases before.

When he was getting alcohol as a kid I wonder who he was getting it from and where were his parents in this. Too many people want to blame everything and everyone but themselves.

When he was getting alcohol as a kid I wonder who he was getting it from and where were his parents in this. Too many people want to blame everything and everyone but themselves.

All criminals blame everyone but themselves, it is what gives them the licence in their mind to act as they do. The nature of the criminal mind is to divert responsibility and deny responsibility for their actions.

• Like 1

A few years ago here in Victoria, BC Canada a young man stabbed his best friend with a knife and killed him. His excuse was he blacked out from the alcohol. The court heard he had a history of blacking out and behaving violently. He didn't get a long prison sentence and is out on the streets today.

I drank alcohol before I was a kid and not in prison... oh wait because I use self-control to make sure I don't hurt anybody other then myself to avoid prison.(even though I like it, I drink very rarely now because it would have more of a chance to cause problems in my life, although when I have the time I do like myself a party) If it became a problem, I would get help before I hurt somebody else. If they actually win this lawsuit I'd be quite sad with society today.

Seriously if you have no self-control and hurt other people just because you have no self-control you deserve to be in prison.

This is where my argument comes in that prison should not be used as a punishment, but as a protection for law abiding citizens. Why don't we have the right to be protected from people who 'have no self control'?

This is where my argument comes in that prison should not be used as a punishment, but as a protection for law abiding citizens. Why don't we have the right to be protected from people who 'have no self control'?

It's like I tell my daughter, If you don't control yourself, Someone else Will! I have little use for prisons.

If you do something that seriously warrants being locked up for 15 years...you should hang instead.

Prisons should be for those who do have self control but don't make good choices. Other than that...hang em.

It's like I tell my daughter, If you don't control yourself, Someone else Will! I have little use for prisons.

If you do something that seriously warrants being locked up for 15 years...you should hang instead.

Prisons should be for those who do have self control but don't make good choices. Other than that...hang em.

Well, we really need a change in regards to criminals and their actions. And it is a world-wide problem. We have supposedly evolved above other animals, yet we do horrible things to each other-and they are supposed to be justified? It boggles my mind.

You do. Some people just give up that right with misguided beliefs (cough anti-gun/love everybody people come to mind)

Then my argument comes in that prison is more then just punishment and protection but a tool to make people work better with society. The idea though is some people don't want to admit they have no self-control and now it's not nice to say something like that because it will hurt their feeling and they might dump a lawsuit on you. Can't kill the guys who keep hurting people because killing people is wrong. The majority of what people believe are so warped that any system that comes in to play right now doesn't work.

Don't kill criminals give them a hug and let them sue you for not making sure they take responsibility for their own actions.

Oh those guys were kids when they were drinking. Fine. Go to the source of the problem. File a lawsuit on your parents for millions of dollars for not keeping them on the straight and narrow. See how silly it can get if your beliefs are warped.

You do. Some people just give up that right with misguided beliefs (cough anti-gun/love everybody people come to mind)

Then my argument comes in that prison is more then just punishment and protection but a tool to make people work better with society. The idea though is some people don't want to admit they have no self-control and now it's not nice to say something like that because it will hurt their feeling and they might dump a lawsuit on you. Can't kill the guys who keep hurting people because killing people is wrong. The majority of what people believe are so warped that any system that comes in to play right now doesn't work.

Don't kill criminals give them a hug and let them sue you for not making sure they take responsibility for their own actions.

Oh those guys were kids when they were drinking. Fine. Go to the source of the problem. File a lawsuit on your parents for millions of dollars for not keeping them on the straight and narrow. See how silly it can get if your beliefs are warped.

That is the Human Rights activists who believe that and have pushed the laws to protect the criminals. We need to protect the rest of society. Maybe if I repeat that over and over more than you and I will start believing it, too and look at how society is screwing up the innocent. A woman is raped and her sex life is put on trial. A three year old was 'tempting' her grandfather into raping her. A father is not found guilty of raping his daughter, but of showing her his love-after he tries to get a doctor to fit her with an IUD. WTF!? No wonder there are so many people who have no faith in the laws and the legal system!