Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zoo bosses accused of bbq their own animals

Still Waters

Bosses at a Swedish zoo have been accused of barbecuing their own animals for a staff party.

The Parken Zoo in Eskiltuna, west of Stockholm, put two of their own wildebeest on the menu for the event, it is claimed.

Financial constraints were said to be behind the decision to cook the animals.

http://www.dailymail...taff-party.html

That's horrible.. Not that I wouldn't eat a wildebeest if I needed to.. there was just no reason for this. :td:

That's horrible.. Not that I wouldn't eat a wildebeest if I needed to.. there was just no reason for this. :td:

I really hate to do this, but many zoo's around the world use a practice of raising some native species for food for the preditory species. They used to do this in the US until there was an outcry over the practice from a couple animal rights groups. So they dropped the practice.

Ok, so the guy roasted up a couple of wildebeest? Maybe his budget for the party was tight?

• Like 2

I really hate to do this, but many zoo's around the world use a practice of raising some native species for food for the preditory species. They used to do this in the US until there was an outcry over the practice from a couple animal rights groups. So they dropped the practice.

Ok, so the guy roasted up a couple of wildebeest? Maybe his budget for the party was tight?

I know they use them for predatory species, but they're not meant to be bbq'ed for a party.

I wonder how it tasted though.. probably like beef. :P

Zoos in 2013 should be closed.

No more animals should be intook.

The whole scenario should be shut down.

All financial resources should be piled into supporting the animals in their natural habitat

Edited by Mistydawn
  • Like 3

All financial resources should be piled into supporting the animals in their natural habitat

i beg to differ. the more people know/see an animal, the more they will care about animals in their wild environment :)

• Like 4

i beg to differ. the more people know/see an animal, the more they will care about animals in their wild environment :)

Very true.....and occasionally wopnder what they'd taste like. C'mon guys they still eat horse meat in Europe and no one gets all up tight over that, Wildebeest? Proabably, no big deal over there so don't get all upset over it. It's not like they're an endangered species.

• Like 1

Hey i like horse meat. there is absolutely nothing wrong with it as far as Meat goes. it's no worse than some nations in the world that still eat Dog, even though i could not do that.

As to shutting down zoos. what would you do with the animals??? they can't be put back in the wild many if not most zoo animals were born in captivity and don't know how to survive without mankind feeding them they would not survive. shutting down zoos would cause several more species to become extinct being as the only place in the world several species still live is in zoos.

That is a horrible idea. The education and breeding programs that zoo provide are absolutely essential to the survival of many many species. To shut them down would be the direct cause of the extinction of many species.

*jaw hanging*

Financial constraints ?

FINANCIAL CONSTRAINTS ! ARE THE ******* KIDDING !?!?!

Don't anyone tell me animals are as bad as human ,ok ....don't even TRY .

That's like an aquarium saying,oh gosh ,we have no money for the Xmas party ,go fish some shrimp and crab out of a, tank....maybe a few porgies from that tank ....,and we will do a crab boil and fish fry .

*bangs head on desk*

Edited by Simbi Laveau

You say it like it's a bad thing but budget cuts are a part of life everywhere now.

That is a horrible idea. The education and breeding programs that zoo provide are absolutely essential to the survival of many many species. To shut them down would be the direct cause of the extinction of many species.

Besides, without them then we'd have to kill animals from the wild for the BBQ party.

• Like 1

Besides, without them then we'd have to kill animals from the wild for the BBQ party.

Right? Why hunt wild animals when we have a large and tasty supply already?

My point exactly!

:yes:

I'd try pretty much any animal at least once, even human if the opportunity somehow presented itself in a legal manner...

I don't think so, shut them down. Stop creating a menargerie of specimens for humans to gawp at and pour the money into sustaining the animals in their natural environment. Set up breeding progams within the environment they are meant to be in. Education for the Human race, doesn't have to be in a Zoo, where big cats and Elephants and such like, are in little enclaves, in increment weather, without the freedom to roam.

• Like 1

They slaughtered them because they were "aggressive" and couldn't afford to keep them. Maybe they shouldn't be having a party to begin with if the zoo is facing so much financial difficulty?

According to the article they did not kill the animals for the party the animals were being put down anyway because of there aggression. At least they ate the animals and did not just discard the dead bodies, that would have been a waste.