Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Centralia, The Real Silent Hill

Wolfman 1993

So this isn't as much as an experience as it is an idea. If you've heard of Centralia, PA, you'll know what kind of background it has. Years ago, after a mine fire, toxic gases leaked out of a mine in the city and killed off the residents, bringing this city to a ghost town. Today, mines are still burning underground, but there are some accessible parts of the city. I think a place like that would be amazing for spirit activity. What do you guys think? Below is a link to a youtube video with information on Centralia. And no, that's not me. He's a youtube guy that went to a cool place. Everyone wave to youtube guy! XD

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Wolfman1993
  • Like 3

I think that you are getting facts and the fantasy of the game/movie mixed up.

Yes it was a mine fire that released toxic gaseous… but I could find no record that anyone ever died as a direct cause from the mine fire or from the fumes. Most of the residents accepted buyout offers and moved to nearby communities … they did not die off. While there is no doubting this is a creepy and dangerous place… I am not sure that it would be one that is especially prone to ghostly activity.. at least no more than the rest of the world.

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 5

My band's got a song called Centralia! :w00t:

Just to clarify is it Cen-tray-lia or Cen-trah-lia? Youtube is going to buffer ridculously slow here in the 3rd world country of Scotland so it's nae easy to check :P

Edited by Urisk

That is crazy, it will burn for 250 years. Do wonder about those mineral rights.

Could be spirit activity, never know where you will find it.

The molly maguires did kill some people there back in the middle 1800's. So even if no one died because of the coal fire there were still murders in the area.

Edited by Hilander

That is crazy, it will burn for 250 years. Do wonder about those mineral rights.

Could be spirit activity, never know where you will find it.

Personally I think it's just once again our misuse and disregard for the planet we live on. Will we learn?

Isn't this similar to that Dewerze crater? There isn't a lot that scares me, but the human race genuinely terrifies me.

I think that you are getting facts and the fantasy of the game/movie mixed up.

Yes it was a mine fire that released toxic gaseous… but I could find no record that anyone ever died as a direct cause from the mine fire or from the fumes. Most of the residents accepted buyout offers and moved to nearby communities … they did not die off. While there is no doubting this is a creepy and dangerous place… I am not sure that it would be one that is especially prone to ghostly activity.. at least no more than the rest of the world.

maybe Edited by Wolfman1993

I love Centralia.

Hilander: That's a new one on me. Years ago I heard that there were some ghosts around the town. I don't know if that's true or not.

The fires of Centralia = portal to hell?

Just throwing it out there, I don't believe it.

Edited by I believe you

The molly maguires did kill some people there back in the middle 1800's. So even if no one died because of the coal fire there were still murders in the area.

So coal fires and murders make ghosts but not natural deaths?

The fires of Centralia = portal to hell?

Just throwing it out there, I don't believe it.

Very interesting theory. I like it. Who know's? Maybe they are. I'll be taking a trip out there as part of my criptid/paranormal tour in a few years. That's definitely something I'll take into consideration

If you read down at the bottom of the Wikipedia article, it does state that the 2006 horror film was based on this town, but like Overdueleaf said, there's no documentation that anyone died from the fires or from the fumes.

• Like 1

That is crazy, it will burn for 250 years.

Unless they do something to extinguish it. But no one will because it would be too expensive. It's like the Springfield Tire Yard Fire on the Simpsons.

I live an hour and a half south of Centralia, and the underground coal seams are still burning--Smoke rises continuously, but it is slowing down. No one died (it was a fire at the town dump that ignited an exposed coal seam) but practically everyone had to move out. Except for just a few stragglers, the town is empty. It is strange to drive past abandoned, falling down homes/storefronts and broken roads that lead to overgrown fields, and then all of a sudden come across one house that has it's lights on and a mowed yard--a few people refuse to leave. I wonder if any paranormal investigation has gone on here. This would be a great place to test. Here's an article from last May commemorating the 50 years that have passed since the fires began:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-05-25/fire-still-burns-in-centralia/55213824/1

• Like 2

I read about it in a Bill Bryson book. Apparently the local authorities bought up everyone's land and the town was evacuated apart from a few who refused to leave. So it's not entirely abandoned. Must be a strange life living in an empty town with smoke coming out of the ground.

I've came across this place several times whilst researching shiz, it's such an eerie place. I was about to say the Silent Hill reference when I saw the title too. I also read somewhere (might be a load of rubbish) that local government was trying to kick those who still lived there out of their houses as they would gain a lot of money somehow.

They did--Google search, "Centralia, 1992 eminent domain claim." The few Centralia residents left there believe the state's eminent domain claim is a ploy--they want the mineral rights to the anthracite coal beneath the borough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live very near there, and have gone several times. Nobody died directly as a result, they all accepted the government buyout and left. A few hung on, and one or two stragglers remain today. I and many friends have made several trips there, and apart from broken and twisted highways with graffiti, and abandoned foundations of homes, not a damn paranormal thing has ever happened to any of us there. We always take pictures, as well, and nothing has ever shown up. This is a case of fiction overwashing reality.