Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Volcanic eruptions and glogbal warming

me-wonders

Volcanoes are triggered by global warming. This happens when the earth is coming out of an ice age, and does not explain what is happening now, although around the world volcanoes are building. What is really interesting about the link is the explanation of how our orbit around the sun changes, and how our tilt changes and the how the earth wobbles. All this happens in cycles. The tutorial in the middle of the explanation is very good.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-12/more-volcanic-eruptions-during-earths-warm-periods-scientists-say

• Like 1

global warming is not really that bad now days. By the time the true effects of global warming starts, we will be gone from this world already. So don't stress out too much, it wont be our problem

So when do you think things will be very bad? I want my grandchildren and great grandchildren to have good lives.

Right now people are dealing with severe weather and the loss of land.

But what is really interesting to me is this....

When they analyzed the frequency of ash layers in the record, the researchers found a pattern: large eruptions tended to occur once every 41,000 years. Random as that number may sound, it's as familiar to paleoclimatologists as the moon's 28ish-day cycle is to the rest of us: over the course of 41,000 years, the Earth tilts gradually forward, and then backward, on its axis. It's called "Obliquity," and it's one of the three "Milankovitch Cycles" that happen over long time periods and influence Earth's climate. They are hard to visualize, so here's some really nice help:

It seems to me a combination of Milankovitch Cycles and sun cycles, when they come together, could have a dramatic effect on our planet.

Edited by me-wonders

20 years from now we will really be suffering - well within my lifetime.

We are currently at a number of significant tipping points in global warming which will see change significantly speed up. The current rash of extreme weather is just the start.

Br Cornelius

Well, it's only January the 6th and 4 states in Australia are battling bushfires. Sth Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and no less than 70 fires in NSW. Coupled with the early hot weather, I'm not looking forward to the next 5 years, never mind the next 20.

Well, it's only January the 6th and 4 states in Australia are battling bushfires. Sth Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and no less than 70 fires in NSW. Coupled with the early hot weather, I'm not looking forward to the next 5 years, never mind the next 20.

Indeed - 20yrs is a very optimistic estimate. However I feel that things will probably settle into some different temporary meta-state by then so at least we will have some idea of what we will have to live with.

Br Cornelius

As a layman, it seems we've gone past a tipping point and there is nothing mankind can do anymore to stop the cycle. Whether he might ever have been able to influence the cycle I don't know, but suspect that he might have stopped it. Who really knows?

It seems to me that those who deny climate change are only tenuously connected to reality. The evidence is everywhere. :cry:

I think the only possible way to stop future climate change would be a massive program of forest planting - every available viable acre of land.

Of course we would still need to stop emitting CO2 as well.

Br Cornelius

The real scary thing about volcanoes is how tectonics and other forces play with the magma beneath us. And create magnificently destructive things. ie Hawaiin Islands.