Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looks like bigfoot has gone mainstream

keninsc

That show is the biggest joke on TV. How can anyone take it serious with Moneymaker and Bobo get real.

Good question. Some think they are actually watching "experts", I guess.

But it's not any worse than Paranormal State and a half dozen others. Imo.

This show is pretty pathetic, just hours wasted with bigfoot obsessives that are so full of self-denial everything they hear or encounter in the woods ... is a "Squatch". Take these silly people off the air and dont waste any more film on them.

I dont know why Wendys would endorse this... only to show quality and intelligent television programming is quickly gone to the dogs.

Nothing is new under the sun. But several channels have gone from natural fact to fantasy for profit. And there certainly used to be far less of it on TV, and it hurts their credibility when they offer something of substance, imo.

I hear ya. But I think sacrificing education for entertainment is the new normal unfortunately. And anything paranormal, well that slider is going to be way to the entertainment side.

Which and how many of the paranormal shows only speculate? Or use noncommittal language? I'm not familiar with them.

As Sakari pointed out, Destination Truth is one of them. If you're not familiar, the premise is the team goes to an exotic location and investigates a local legend be it crypto or ghostly. It has some of the pitfalls of other paranormal shows (running around in the dark in green-o-vision), but is a much more fun and entertaining show because it doesn't take itself so seriously. By show's end, they're willing to conclude that the local legend may in fact be some sort of misidentifacation or exageration. FB's desperate attempt for legitamacy is what ironcially undoes it, among other things.

Beast Hunter is a crypto show on Nat Geo Wild that I recently discovered and have enjoyed, although I've only seen a few episodes. Didn't even realize that Nat Geo Wild was an actual channel until I house-sat.

Is it Real? is a Nat Geo show that kinds of strings you along with paranormal evidence on a different subject every episode, but ulitmately explains them all away by show's end revealing a more skeptical bias.

I hear ya. But I think sacrificing education for entertainment is the new normal unfortunately. And anything paranormal, well that slider is going to be way to the entertainment side.

As Sakari pointed out, Destination Truth is one of them. If you're not familiar, the premise is the team goes to an exotic location and investigates a local legend be it crypto or ghostly. It has some of the pitfalls of other paranormal shows (running around in the dark in green-o-vision), but is a much more fun and entertaining show because it doesn't take itself so seriously. By show's end, they're willing to conclude that the local legend may in fact be some sort of misidentifacation or exageration. FB's desperate attempt for legitamacy is what ironcially undoes it, among other things.

Beast Hunter is a crypto show on Nat Geo Wild that I recently discovered and have enjoyed, although I've only seen a few episodes. Didn't even realize that Nat Geo Wild was an actual channel until I house-sat.

Is it Real? is a Nat Geo show that kinds of strings you along with paranormal evidence on a different subject every episode, but ulitmately explains them all away by show's end revealing a more skeptical bias.

I think Josh is hilarious! :tsu: Is it still on? He still shows his evidence to paranormal experts and from my experience with the show, and imo, he and his team are not terribly skeptical. Even open-ended conclusions are what they are- meant to bring the believers and the nonbelievers back for another show.

I've watched Beast Hunter too and River Monsters. But I don't consider them the same type of show as the Finding Bigfoot and Ghost Hunters types. Nor do I consider the hosts out to find a paranormal explanation. They give background into the rumors and stories and legends/myths, that's all.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I think Josh is hilarious! :tsu: Is it still on? He still shows his evidence to paranormal experts and from my experience with the show, and imo, he and his team are not terribly skeptical. Even open-ended conclusions are what they are- meant to bring the believers and the nonbelievers back for another show.

Right, but it's a case by case thing. Which kind of adds validity to whatever they deem may exist or be true. But they never come flat out saying, OMG! Philipino Vampires are real!!! because they never have the evidence to support it. But that's a really good point about the open-ended conclusions.

One of my favorite lines from DT was when a crewman says something to the effect "Nobody's better at almost catching monsters than you Josh!" Can't imagine anyone on FB saying this as it would be a huge crush to their egos.

Right, but it's a case by case thing. Which kind of adds validity to whatever they deem may exist or be true. But they never come flat out saying, OMG! Philipino Vampires are real!!! because they never have the evidence to support it. But that's a really good point about the open-ended conclusions.

One of my favorite lines from DT was when a crewman says something to the effect "Nobody's better at almost catching monsters than you Josh!" Can't imagine anyone on FB saying this as it would be a huge crush to their egos.

underscoring mine

Ranae does, in her own way. And MM does get mad at her, Bobo's reaction is more "tsk tsk" disgust, and Cliff, well, not sure what ticks him off.

*I've never seen Beast Hunter, I confused it with Man V Monster. But they sound like identical shows.

I think the role of "skeptic" is one she has but it's one she maintains for the benifit of the show. MM seems to really get off telling people, "Yep, that's documented evidence of a Bigfoot." Or, "Bigfoot are widely known to do this.". Cliff is a little like a Zen Guru about the whole thing. Bobo is sort of like the cheerleader for the group, I will have to give him some credit, I've seen him on the show talking with people who were scared by whatever it was they encountered and he's good at talking to them in a manner that doesn't upset them.

The only thing I've really seen them do that sort of tees me off is they'll stop suddenly, the back ground music comes up just slightly, and say, "Did you hear that?" Or "What was that?". The one that really p***ed me off was the one where they claimed to hear people talking or thought it might have been people talking and none of it was on the tape. Supposedly, Bigfoots make this sort of "talking" sound.......but they can't quite get it on tape. So they substitute background theme music in it's place. Makes me want to slap someone, sort of like when I'm watching a football game and the producer in the trailer decides he needs to do several plays from the end zone shot, can't see a damn thing, but he's calling the shots and he's bored. I just want to drag him out by the collar and shake him a couple of times.

• Like 1

Apparently Les Stroud pitched a Bigfoot hunting show to Discovery. How cool would that have been?

Believe you're correct. That's why Mermaids: The Body Found played on Discovery after premiering on AP and also why Discovery gets reruns of River Monsters.

I think Discovery and AP are owned by the same entity??

I'm thinking more channels are owned by one party than we realize. As I mentioned once before, completely unrelated channels now advertise their shows on each other. Something we never used to see.

Apparently Les Stroud pitched a Bigfoot hunting show to Discovery. How cool would that have been?

Cooler than what we've been given, that's for sure. But is he a believer? Never heard this, not sure what is angle would be?

Edited by QuiteContrary

He believes that he had two experiences.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp-YOxSe6Rc[/media]

Sorry, I haven't listened to this in a while, but there's some salty language. But they go on and have a fun, interesting discussion for a while. Even bringing up FB.

Edited by PlanB

I wouldn't be surprised in the least that a number of people haven't pitched them on a Bigfoot show. MM did have one of the largest "Bigfoot" organizations in the US and was probably chosen because he and his group can pull in stories from reports and choose about which ones to make shows on. If you're gonna have a show then you got have something to show. Look at "Dirty Jobs" they very nearly were shut down a couple times in the last couple years because they didn't have something to make a show from, which is why they very often had as many as five different jobs featured to fill the time.

I also think, my own speculation, that Animal Planet liked the idea of them being a "no kill" group and we can all insert our own speculation on that.

Does this mean we will get Bigfoot Burgers, with Sasquatch Nuggets and Yeti Fries?

Being serious, to be honest I'm not surprised about this. Finding Bigfoot seemed to be gathering notice and popularity so it would only be a matter of time until they got into commercials of established businesses.

Not going to lie, the Bigfoot Burger is kind of a cool name for a burger.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least that a number of people haven't pitched them on a Bigfoot show. MM did have one of the largest "Bigfoot" organizations in the US and was probably chosen because he and his group can pull in stories from reports and choose about which ones to make shows on. If you're gonna have a show then you got have something to show. Look at "Dirty Jobs" they very nearly were shut down a couple times in the last couple years because they didn't have something to make a show from, which is why they very often had as many as five different jobs featured to fill the time.

I also think, my own speculation, that Animal Planet liked the idea of them being a "no kill" group and we can all insert our own speculation on that.

Plus, they could more easily fill the "community/town hall meetings" with BFRO members, to relate their encounters for the team to checkout.

Edited by QuiteContrary

True, but keep in mind that usually a TV crew will do that.

Believe you're correct. That's why Mermaids: The Body Found played on Discovery after premiering on AP and also why Discovery gets reruns of River Monsters.

Jeremy Wade is da man. Probably my favorite show out there right now.

• Like 2

True, but keep in mind that usually a TV crew will do that.

'

At some point, maybe in the first episodes of the show, MM kind of bragged on how they/HE contacted BFRO members to put together these meetings. Which makes sense. You need a database of names. Probably something they pitched to/negotiated for with Animal Planet at the beginning. Ups BFRO membership/puts their name out there too, plus aids the show.

Hey keninsc, did you watch yesterday's episode? I know little about tracking, but did you see the photos of the tracks in the mud? Are tracks made in mud so even in depth and with cleanly marked toes?

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'm thinking more channels are owned by one party than we realize. As I mentioned once before, completely unrelated channels now advertise their shows on each other. Something we never used to see.

I'm thinking, as usual you're right again. :lol:

I didn't see the episode yet, but it's very dependent on the wetness and viscosity of the mud in question.

The thing that I always see as a red flag is if there isn't a "push off" indication. When any bipedal creature walks we step, then shift our weight as we transfer our weight to the next step and then push off and repeat on the other side. Next time you walk on the beach you'll see what I'm talking about. Now having said that you don't always get a clearly defined push off on harder soil, but by the same token, soil that hard after doesn't leave footprints at all.

Which is why I'm ofter skeptical of foot casts that look like a flat giant foot print.

I was replying to QC and didn't anticipate Stardrive jumping in front of me. :tu:

Edited by keninsc
  • Like 1

I'm just now getting to watch the whole episode from Sunday (while I clean out the refrigerator, seems poetic).

Anyway, they said the local BFRO vetted out the "best of the best" witnesses for the local Town Hall meeting in the Olympic Peninsula, because it is such a hotspot of encounters = too many witnesses, I guess.