Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A question about phones.

Bendy Demon

Ok..I have a cordless phone set with three handsets placed throughout the house.

I recent purchased a corded phone with Caller ID on it (I don't have the service however)

When I try to make a call..it dials out and I can hear the other party but they cannot hear me.

Others in my household think I should set up the Caller Id features even though I do not have the service and I maintain that the phone does not need to be "set up". I should be able to just pick up the handset and call out.

I suspect there might be an incompatibility between the corded handset and the cordless phone system.

We tried, recently, to unplug the cordless system then make a call from a cell phone...I could hear the other party but they couldn't hear me. It is possible the phone is faulty but I don't see why I should have to set up the Caller ID if I don't have the service to make the phone work (as some in the house claim)

Any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bendy Demon

• Inn Spectre

• Myles

• Overdueleaf

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the corded phone have sidetone? IOW, can you hear your own voice in the speaker when you speak into the 'mouthpiece'?

You mean an "echo"? At one point there was when a cell phone was used a few yards away but even when the cell user was downstairs (I was on the second floor) the user said they could not hear me but I could hear them.

I even called my mother and I could hear her but she couldn't hear me at all.

do the three handsets work without the corded phone? i couldnt quite make out from the information you provided.

If SO try plugging in the corded phone into the jack that the cordless phones and see if that works.

It is possible that you have a short in one of the jacks... check the pins for the connection it is more than likely that you have a bent pin that is causing a short and can be fixed by replacing the jack itself.

You mean an "echo"? At one point there was when a cell phone was used a few yards away but even when the cell user was downstairs (I was on the second floor) the user said they could not hear me but I could hear them.

I think you've misunderstood but there's another test you can run.

Take one of your cordless handsets to the corded phone then press the call button (green) on the cordless so you hear the dialtone.

Pick up the handset on the corded phone ( you can dial 0 to stop the dialtone ) and speak into it. If you can hear yourself on the cordless then there's nothing wrong with the transmitted audio from the corded phone. If you can't hear yourself then it's faulty.

Ok..I discovered the problem

I looked into the phone jack and found that whoever had installed it simply smashed the wires into the terminal which in turn pinched and even severed the wires.

After replacing the entire jack and re-stripping the wires, it works just fine now.

Thanks all for your help.