Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tribute to Stan Lee!

soulpowertothenthdegree

My Tribute To Stan Lee...one of my Heroes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee

Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber, December 28, 1922), is an American comic book writer, editor, publisher, media producer, and former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

In collaboration with several artists, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Hulk, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Thor, and many other fictional characters, introducing complex, naturalistic characters and a thoroughly shared universe into superhero comic books. In addition, he headed the first major successful challenge to the industry's censorship organization, the Comics Code Authority, and forced it to reform its policies. Lee subsequently led the expansion of Marvel Comics from a small division of a publishing house to a large multimedia corporation.

He was inducted into the comic book industry's The Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame in 1994 and the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame in 1995.

Did you know that comic books were once under fire much the same way video games are now? Back in the 50's there was a push to ban comic books for the violence perpetrated in many of them. Psychiatrists came to the conclusion that they were the single greatest cause for teenage delinquency among other afflictions.

Here is an article about the hearings:

http://voices.yahoo....913.html?cat=38

How Comics Were Censored in the 1950s

After World War Two, the comic book industry trend was toward gory real-life stories or tales of horror. Severed heads and graphic violence were often part of these stories. Many of the most extreme examples came from artist Jack Cole, best known as the creator of Plastic Man.

Censorship of comic books officially began with psychologist Dr. Frederick Wertham's infamous book, "The Seduction of the Innocent." The book aimed at the crime, superhero, and horror comics genres, in particular EC Comics published by William Gaines. "The Seduction of the Innocent" further claimed that the glorification of sex, violence, and drugs in comic books was a root cause of juvenile delinquency, one of the prime social issues of the 1950s. Among other comics, Wertham accused Wonder Woman comics of promoting lesbianism, and Batman and Robin promoting homosexuality.

WOW!

Imagine not having SpiderMan or SuperMan or BatMan or the Hulk or the FantasticFour or WonderWoman or the SilverSurfer or any comic book characters that you grew to enjoy as a child or an adult.

I still have a pillow case from when I was a child that has all the SUPER FRIENDS on it. My Mom had to make sure it was washed before I would go to sleep for many years. It could not sit in the hamper or hang out in the laundry room, EVER!

I came home from school and the first thing I watched was SpiderMan, then SuperMan, etc.

Now Stan Lee is simply as iconic as "apple pie". Without his dedication and vision, comic book heroes would have not survived and thrived the way they did and still do today.

This is a list of the comic books character's he is credited with creating or collaborating on either in print or movie productions:

I am sure this list could be much longer. Amazing that it could be non-existent if the government had been successful in shutting down the industry.

Glad they didn't accomplish what they set out to do, aren't you?

Soul

• Like 2

I was a big Marvel fan in the 1960's but later the mags lost their quality, I think they drafted in too many new story-writers who couldn't match the original high-qual stuff.

I was a big Marvel fan in the 1960's but later the mags lost their quality, I think they drafted in too many new story-writers who couldn't match the original high-qual stuff.

Thanks for stopping by. The comic world became stale. Now, it is hard to create these types of characters because they have been done. Kids today need more violence it seems to be entertained. I just always appreciated the simplicity of certain comic book heroes. Good guy gets bad guy. The weapons were futuristic and silly. They were far from the weaponry we see today. The violence was sugar coated. When my son was born and started watching TV, I would not even let him watch ed,ed and eddie, because I thought it was easy to mimic the behavior patterns. I never let him watch any shows that I felt exhibited violence, but I would let him watch SpiderMan cartoons, and Super Friends. Just never felt the same way about them as I do some of the shows today. The South Park shows were forbidden. Disgusting behavior to show children. Anyway, I am disappointed not more people showed up in this thread.

I also used to like spooky supernatural/sci-fi comics such as 'Amazing Tales', I remember one story that had me spellbound when a scientist time-travelled to the past, but accidentally squashed a small creature as he stepped out of his capsule in prehistoric times.

Later he returned to his own time but to his shock and horror all the humans had monster faces because he'd disrupted the evolutionary path by killing that creature millions of years ago!

I've just recently been introduced to the world of comic books by my boss, he's been sharing many of his Gold, Silver, and Bronze age comics with me, so I'm a HUGE newbie when it comes to all of this. I don't have much to contribute, but Stan Lee has my admiration for helping creating and co-create character's that will far out last any of us.

I'm such a newbie at comics also and I don't even attempt to hide my boredom.

But you need to be hiding under a rock not to have heard about Stan Lee.

If there's any superhero character out there he's got the patent and the copyright privelidges.

So if you like a bit of action and escapism Stan's your man.

There's not one on the list that hasn't been a blockbuster with an all star cast.

However there's also the lewder comics like the Beano which I also don't touch with a bargepole.

I know I promised you some feedback but I'm sorry for being so negative on comics as a whole.

It's just that I prefer the printed word without any illustrations.